Bull Bar Tolerances - Merged

Looking at the one for brackets it seems most UHF tabs on bullbars are illegal since they make the aerial mounting point above the bar? Or are they acceptable because most UHF mounts are springs?

I think you'll find that the bar compliance relates only to the bar construction itself, not to any bolt-on attachments. They would be a whole separate area for compliance issues.

It covers attachments as well. Antenna / Lighting attachments behind the bar are OK

Glad this isn't WA too, that'd cause me a fair bit of financial.pain!

I think you'll find that this is modeled on ADR 2003 - which applies to the whole country so if they get serious about enforcing it in WA - look out!

It covers attachments as well. Antenna / Lighting attachments behind the bar are OK
Depending how you read this passage on p17:

Brackets and other components connected to the vehicle frontal protection system must be fitted rearward of the front face and not protrude above the top of the vehicle frontal protection system.

you may not be able to mount ANY antenna - behing the bar or otherwise - if it protrudes above the top of the bar, which it needs to do to be effective. And sandflags ...???

^ An antenna is not a rigid item, and has no sharp edges within the meaning of the explanatory document, i.e. the minimum radius of all significant parts are greater than 5 mm. That's how I read it, anyway.

The adr compliance sticker was unreadable when I got my bar, so I removed it before I painted it.

Any idea if that would be an issue?

My SubaXtreme sump guard came with the compliance sticker "pre-removed", but it still has "subaxtreme" cast into it. Since all SubaXtreme guards, etc, are compliant, this should be sufficient. That's my thinking, anyway.

From my Batphone

I’m not sure about your year model, but I’ll be fitting a 93 Mitsubishi Pajero bullbar to my 98 forester, it will fit with minimal alterations, maybe you could look for something similar ?

1WD

I would be wary of home-made bull bars or bars that come from other vehicles if you live in Australia. If your vehicle is fitted with air bags it is not acceptable to any state's regulations to fit a bar that is not ADR compliant for your make and model vehicle. You risk getting a defect, fine or having your insurance company turn their back on you in the event of an accident.

^ yes, as it has been discussed many times in the past, I believe Oz locals here are aware of the risks and are prepared to accept such risk.

OP is in California.

^ yes, as it has been discussed many times in the past, I believe Oz locals here are aware of the risks and are prepared to accept such risk.

Thst's all very well until they run up the back of my car and their insurance company bails on them. It's not only the owner/driver that takes the risk, its every road user. Perhaps the off-road message of "tread lightly" should be adapted for on-road driving. Perish the thought of more people driving unlicensed in unregistered, uninsured vehicles saying " I'm prepared to take the risk" This is not an issue of personal choice, it's one of social responsibility just as much as not ripping up the environment when driving in the bush.

Back