• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

I-phone access to the forum...

Would you use Tapatalk on the forum?

• Total voters
Bumpin' for the poll I put up!!!:ebiggrin:

I got the Tapatalk app ($2.99US) for my Android and have been checking it out on www.subaruforester.org. Seems really cool, certainly much easier to navigate around the forum with your smartphone, and you can post pics right off your phone without having to host them elsewhere.

We really need input on this upgrade to make sure it is worthwhile. If not enough folks want to use it, then it might not be worth the extra maintenance on the forum. So PLEASE, interested or not vote in the poll.

Thank You!!!

If i had a smartphone, i would use it - no doubt. But i have kept myself from buying a smartphone, otherwise i would never be able to be "truly" away from work. I've limited myself to an LG EnV touch - it's only about half smart ;)
Descent touch screen & keypad, good internet where i can check stuff, just no apps. I enjoy not being wired to technology when i'm away from the office. :biggrin:

They're about as common in here as Tribeca owners :lol:

Haha, we're goin to need more votes! Those poll results don't give much to go off :ebiggrin:

Gidday All

Having just dropped my Palm Tungsten E-2 in the swimming pool today ...
It appears to have died ...
My insurer is looking to replace it with a Blackberry Torch.
So who knows?

Bump. I use tapatalk for forums, alot easier to navigate then than with a browser on the phone.

Last edited:
The OEM browser on the Blackberry Torch 9810 seem to give me perfectly adequate access to all the fora/sites I frequent. I have uploaded photos from the phone to ORS, and also linked to my own web site using it.

Its predictive text system seems to work quite well, as did my old Motorola. SWMBO's Nokia N95 predictive text is highly allegorical at best, and RS mostly. Her phone is a good in every other respect however.

IME, all phones are equally lousy to type on.
Laptops are variable between acceptable and rotten.
Hard to beat a decent amphitheatre keyboard, IMNSHO.

IME, all phones are equally lousy to type on.
Laptops are variable between acceptable and rotten.
Hard to beat a decent amphitheatre keyboard, IMNSHO.
I know & fully agree with you there Ratbag.
I'll take a real (desk top) keyboard over a laptop's one anytime :)
And as for the touch pad mouse on a laptop :puke: don't ever get me started on them :yell:
I hate them with a vengeance :eviltoyou:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Gidday (again ... ) Mr T

Just lost 5 minutes typing to this bloody laptop keyboard - it doesn't have a separate numeric keypad (embedded in the main K/b) and tried to insert a special character. Didn't press the SHIFT key, just the NumLock key, which requires the SHIFT + NumLock to be pressed; so trashed my post ... I have now plugged in my accessory numeric keypad. This still locks out part of my keyboard, but at least the NumLock key on it works properly (i.e. without the possibility of the silly old fart user screwing it up ... :lol: ...).

At least the wide screen lappies generally have proper numeric keypads these days!

I know & fully agree with you there Ratbag.
I'll take a real (desk top) keyboard over a laptop's one anytime :)
And as for the touch pad mouse on a laptop :puke: don't ever get me started on them :yell:
I hate them with a vengeance :eviltoyou:

Regards
Mr Turbo

The one on my 7 y.o. IBM R50 works well. The one on the ASUS X53SD I have just provisioned for a client works very well.

The only time I use a 'proper' mouse with my IBM is when I am travelling, and have it sitting on a table or desk.

One of the good things about my Blackberry is that it can connect to the laptop in "tethered mode", where it acts as a wireless gateway for the laptop. i.e. anywhere I have a phone signal, I have Internet access ... :biggrin:.

However, I come across some real corkers of laptop touch pads that barely function, and are not customisable/adjustable worth talking about.

The "best" k/b I have on any of my computers is a 1988 IBM professional k/b. Next come a number of Honeywell amphitheatre k/bs that we have plugged into our daily use w/s.

It has become increasingly difficult to buy decent k/bs anywhere in Oz. Keytronics have been unavailable for well over a decade. The Honeywell (no relation ... ) is also unavailable since around 2002 ...

It is currently about 13 deg C here, and with light drizzle all day. I have been watching "Life in the Freezer" by Sir David Rabbitburrow; very appropriate ... and backing up some DVDs for SWMBO. I need some serious rest after overdoing things for the last 4 weeks.

Want it. To be honest the people voting who don't use it is irrelevant. Working away from home and stuck with browsing on the net solely through my phone and this is the only forum that doesn't have it. Got 4 forums feeding into 1 app with a nice easy to use and read interface, then there is offroadsubarus. Phone throwingly frustrating using a broswer for forums at times with my phone.

Want it. To be honest the people voting who don't use it is irrelevant. Working away from home and stuck with browsing on the net solely through my phone and this is the only forum that doesn't have it. Got 4 forums feeding into 1 app with a nice easy to use and read interface, then there is offroadsubarus. Phone throwingly frustrating using a broswer for forums at times with my phone.

I know what you mean, I do find it annoying but im not away from a PC long enough for it to be a real pain.

Gidday Richard

Because it isn't that easy!

Easy to get; no quite so easy to get rid of ... :( :shake: :puke:

There are several other names for s/w like that ...

Also, unless one wants one's forums branded as TapaTalk, they seem to want fairly large amounts of the green folding stuff to allow re-branding.

There is also a fee for the phone s/w.

On the Blackberry App site, most users reckon it is no better than the native BB browser, and far less stable (crashes the phone). I cannot attest to that personally, as I use the native BB browser.

I also do not know how good or bad the native browsers are on phones using other operating systems. The native BB browser gives me the same functionality as IE, FF or Opera, by and large.

I can also use my laptop in tethered mode using the BB 9810 phone as the Internet modem.

Back