Maxxis Bravo 771

mikesforester

Forum Member
G,day to all.
Looking for a new set of boots for the Foz.
Im a little tired of Yoko's and feel like a change. Been looking at all the options available to me here in Israel (not a huge choice, I must say) I have ruled out the Yoko's as they bore me already and not fantastic performers in my opinion.
Toyo's dont get great reviews regarding general or wet road holding.
BFG's not available here
Dueller D967 not available.
Michelin lattitude and Pirrelli's extremely expensive here
The Maxxis Bravo 771' have caught my eye, they get rave reviews over here.
Anyone had any experience with them.
Would be most grateful for any pointers or suggestions
Best regards
Mike

I had Toyo Open Country AT II on the B9. I had no issues at all on road: I found them much, much better than the Geolander At-S. I found the handling exceptional on dirt roads. The only complaint I have is that they got noisy after 20,000 miles.

How about the brand new AT tire from Continental? Or Yokohama's own brand new GO15 AT tire? I am not sure how old the Maxxis' design is.

Thanks for the input. Have bitten the bullet and ordered the Maxxis. Dropped my 16" rims at the tyre shop to have them mounted. Should be on the car tomorrow. Hope the higher profile will give me a more comfortable ride than my current 225/55/17's. Will let you know the outcome after a 1000 km round trip I have to make this coming weekend.
Cheers
Mike

Just out of interest Mike, what size tyre did you go for?

I had Toyo Open Country AT II on the B9. I had no issues at all on road: I found them much, much better than the Geolander At-S. I found the handling exceptional on dirt roads. The only complaint I have is that they got noisy after 20,000 miles.

How about the brand new AT tire from Continental? Or Yokohama's own brand new GO15 AT tire? I am not sure how old the Maxxis' design is.

Thats good to hear about the Toyos, I've been tossing up between them and the Geolanders for when I get my pepper pots and buy new 225/75/15 tyres for them. Not worried if they get noisy I have 225/70/16 BFG KO's at the moment so almost anything will be quieter than them haha

I have KO2s for heavy duty.

Under hard braking, the ATS activate the ABS earlier than the KO2s (using Hawk HPS 5.0 pads). I have no confidence in them in emergency situations. Also, leave to be desired when cornering a little faster. Hope the new Yokohama GO15 is much better.

You wont be disappointed, I run these on the Suzuki when I do a long distance trips, never has an issue with them. I've found deflated on dry rock steps is where they well and truly out perform my set of KM2's.

Here's my opinion after 1200 km's. for what it's worth.
Firstly the guys that fitted the tyres was pleasantly surprised when balancing them, saying he only had to use 30 grams total for all 4 tyres. Quieter than Yoko ATS I had on my previous Foz. The Yoko's always picked up a hum, which these don't. I went from 225/55/17's to 215/65/16 on the Maxxis, and can feel a difference in comfort (more cushioning because of higher profile) need to play with air pressure to find the sweet spot.
On a long stretch of road through the Aharava Desert, I felt a little unsettled with the grip, but to be fair, the tarred surface was in terrible shape. The rest of the trip on tar was fine. Did a little on a gravelled, bumpy surface and grip was good. In addition we have had a little rain, So purposely threw the car into a few bends and gunned it it on some traffic circles to see if I could cause the tyres to lose grip. I am happy to report that they didn't falter in keeping the car on track.
All in all I am happy for now, will give an update in a few thousand km's. I paid $80 US a corner fitted and balanced. Yokos would have cost me $150 a corner, so for now I am well impressed

I ran Maxxis bravo 771 and bighorns ( two sets of tyres on for highway distance trips and the bighorns for the rest of the time). The 771's were VERY good. I would buy them for the Subie if I could get them here ( no dealer). Did some biggish trips ( Bundaberg to Cairns a few times including a trip from Townsville to Bundaberg towing a ton on a tandem axle trailer). NEVER had a problem with them Fantastic grip wet or dry, and serviceable in the dirt. Bought them initially as they have pretty much stolen the entire Mountain bike tyre market since they arrived with their reliability and grip .

Back