• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

flipping axle on 6x4 trailer

Flipping the axle is the least attractive option as the trailer will be too high for the Foz.
Phil, there are a range of hitches that you can choose from that give you a variety of ball heights so that your trailer will sit level.

And it will be OK anyway. Tandems have to sit level; single axle can be at any angle, even crazy ones, as long as the hitch doesn't bind (unlikely to happen).

Lefty,

I don’t know about 13" rims being the easiest option - 13" rims with a holden stud pattern - can you get those these days?

Looks like the shackles come in up to 4" off the shelf that may be enough - how much clearance do you think you need?

^ I would be inclined to go for slightly shorter shackles, and ask the trailer bloke how much to extend the front eye fixing point down an inch or so.

Get him to give you a report on the trailer condition generally while he is looking at it

Worth asking the questions, I reckon. :poke:

quite a few 13" HR rims on gumtree. It's the quickest solution since I still need my trailer over the next few weeks (front yard renos yay)

Lefty, smaller rims will have no effect at all on your spring to chassis clearance. It may help with the wheel to guard clearance, but not your spring problem.

Lefty,

Depends where the contact is, if it is wheels in guards then yes smaller wheels will solve the problem.

If it is springs hitting the frame - (which is what is looks like based on one of your earlier photos) it is spring hangers, longer shackles or springs or all of the above. or don't load the trailer as much/ live with the bottoming.

If you don't have a welder and a drill press the only realistic DIY is purchased longer shackles and a couple of spanners- also the cheapest and easiest diy option.

I notice you are in Perth Martins trailer parts will have the shackels and will probably be able to make some custom longer ones if they don't have what you need.

In the absence of DIY it is of the to trailer repair place and pay the $

now I know for sure the leafs are too soft.
Got 1 scoop (half trailer) of rainbow stone - and it's almost bottomed out.
No way it could handle 2 scoops which is 1 full 6x4 trailer load.
16372433459_226154333f_z.jpg

16371057958_d0deef2c36_z.jpg

so it's off to a trailer shop when I get the chance to get this sorted properly
thanks for all the advice

Last edited:
Gidday Lefty

For all that they look to be mightily strong, they are patently as rooted as a good tree! I reckon that the existing springs are only managing about 300 kgs load capacity each, if that. Ugly ... :(.

I see some new springs in your future. My advice is not to go overboard with them. 600-700 Kgs each should be fine. Any stronger will just make your trailer as bouncy as a truckie on beans ...

Keep your 16" rims and tyres.

Mine were 610 Kgs capacity each when new, 35 years ago. Probably a little less now, but they have held up remarkably well. They are about the only things that Jimi was more than just happy to leave alone, so that says something.

My trailer isn't fantastic when I hit 20 kmh speed bumps at 40 kmh (empty), but is fairly smooth at 20-25 kmh - i.e. doesn't try to bounce into a neighbouring garden :lol:. That's without shocks. Considerably better now the tent is bolted on, as that adds around 100+ Kgs static load.

Trailer shop welded new mounts and installed new 500kg leafs for $270. He was going to put 670kg leafs but I said I wanted something a bit softer as Ratbag suggested. Picked up this morning along with a full trailerload of rainbow stone on the way home. The rear strut from Taza also installed in the foz. Everything running sweet, but now I have no excuse to sit on my ar$e this long weekend :iconwink:

16660582905_d9b22bcad1_k.jpg

Looks good, mate. Great that you have finally got a decent outcome, Lefty.

Just happy that I was able to help in a small way ... :ebiggrin: :cool:.

Back