Center Diff Switch

Subarino

Forum Member
Guys im trying to find out if i can and how i can wire up a switch to lock my center diff in my 01 Forester Auto.

I have searched about the net and found a lot of people saying they have done it but not much more info.

Obvious questions are... Does it help?
Pros and cons?
How do i do it?

Wiring is what i do best so it wont be a problem if i can just get some indication on what to do.

Dave

Guys im trying to find out if i can and how i can wire up a switch to lock my center diff in my 01 Forester Auto.

I have searched about the net and found a lot of people saying they have done it but not much more info.

Kevin should be able to help you with that one.

Regards
Mr Turbo

^ yep, that's the most extensive info. and incls diagrams.
Basically you interupt the TCM circuit and "fool" it into a 50/50 split.

Thanks for the links... looks like i might give this a crack but mine is a turbo model and it says it might not work with that but i will look into it and test some wires.

Next question: People "at least in my circles" belive that the older L series Subi boxes were better for offroad because they lock from front to back... doesn't this mod acheive the exact same thing making it just as good??

Also... I have been thinking about this all day and was thinking about when i would most likely "flick the switch". And i think times when i need maxium traction but at slow crawl type speeds like cutting through thick beach sand or getting moving after being stationary in sand. This would be great cos the factory system would need to spin your wheels effectively digging you deeper into the sand before the rear would really start working. Am i on the right track?

In this scenario (I can't think of any others i would use it) Could it make sence to wire it to only the (1) Drive gear or (1) and (2) Drive gear and also to an override switch of course... im a little worried about the misses switching it by accident or myself leaving it on. Then u can be in (D) drive gear in normal offroading and kick it into the (1) or (2) Drive gear and have the switch ON for the tricky stuff.

Just after your opinions on the above... It might seam a bot of a waste of time.

Thanks

Dave

Yes, you're on the right track - it's best to use it to keep you out of trouble rather than getting you out of trouble. But it works well for both.

The circuit as used is not gear selectable - it dumps current from the transfer duty solenoid regardless of what gear you're in.

cool cool.. thanks heaps.

One last thing... all the info i have found so far have been on the non-turbo... has anyone done it on a turbo model... i understand they may run a different system.

Dave

I haven't been game to with mine. I haven't really had issues where I have noticed the center not locking up quick enough. Usually offroad, I'm in sportshift 1st gear.
If someone has done it for an 06 I would be interested to see if they notice any difference.

I have a MY07 Forester and was very, very keen on the centre diff lock mod which I researched through this and other forums and was actually ready to leap into the project and was under the dash trying to identify the plugs on the Transmission Control Module when i became apparent that it was a different type to what i was told to expect. Further digging revealed why - myMY07 AT is not the one with the viscous coupling - it's mechanical :cry:

I wish i could be more specific but it was during the time of the 'old' forum the PMs that contained all the info are no longer accessable.

onebob

Just stuck my head under the dash and i have the 3 plug style TCU... and i can spot the wire that is the same colour as the one that needs bypassing... i will research the TCU pint out before i go any further with it.

Dave

I have a MY07 Forester and was very, very keen on the centre diff lock mod which I researched through this and other forums and was actually ready to leap into the project and was under the dash trying to identify the plugs on the Transmission Control Module when i became apparent that it was a different type to what i was told to expect. Further digging revealed why - myMY07 AT is not the one with the viscous coupling - it's mechanical :cry:

I wish i could be more specific but it was during the time of the 'old' forum the PMs that contained all the info are no longer accessable.

onebob

This mod was never intended for viscous couplings - VCs have no electronics anyway and the only Subies that have VCs on the centre diffs are manual transmission cars. This mod is for MPT (multi-plate transfer) systems, as fitted to many automatic transmission Subies, which use a computer to control the lock-up of a friction clutch which apportions drive to the rear propellor shaft.

I can confirm that this does work on an 01 GT Forester... Just finished doing it... now I have to make this swtich not tempting for my misses to play with.

Dave

I can confirm that this does work on an 01 GT Forester... Just finished doing it... now I have to make this swtich not tempting for my misses to play with.

Dave

That's awesome!!!:ebiggrin: Just make sure the wife knows what it does and show her what it will do if you switch it on on dry pavement so she can turn it off if she accidentally switches it on.

Yeah i gave her a good long talking to after i had finished it. Maybe i should add a buzzer to it.. lol

Dave

Well done Dave - just mark the switch either "beer", "football", "cricket" or "spanners". One of 'em is bound to lose her interest.

Back