Skid Plate

I have. Better than nothing. You can do much better though. No idea about the US one.

I have the Primitive plates. They are excellent for easy trails and whenever the goal is to keep loose stuff out. But a hard hit on stationary rock, like if descending a rocky hill? Fortuna better be your friend....

The other problem is that on many models all these plates limit the clearance right in front of the front wheels due to the exhaust. This is really annoying.

There are Subaru OEM skid plates in Europe. Apparently, there is an aluminum and a steel one and the latter is 200 USD +shipping, at best.

This is what happens with the Subaxtreme plate with a slow speed hit on a rock.

The solution is to get one custom made. One like this

I see this had been welded up before.
I was also looking at getting one.
How much did the custom one set you back?

Yes. Subaxtreme in Goulburn repaired it. Custom one was about $550 or so I think. It was 3 years ago.

Yeah was a little worried about the cast. There are just not any easier options available from looking around.
Not quite got the time to try and get one custom made from scratch.

David Wilson a member of the Subaru 4wd Club of Victoria makes bash plates out of 6 mm aluminium. I have one as do most Victorian club members as nearly everyone there with a Subaxtreme plate has broken it. I think David charges $330 for non members.

I agree with havachat & Rally, the SubaXtreme cast one is brittle, good for the beach & light offroading but if you expect to go anywhere rocky they're not the best.

+1 for David's plate alloy sumpguard. I've made my own HD one but if I wasn't able to do that I would get his

Nearly ready for my first trip up the beach through the dunes just south of Bundy

Got the Rokbloks from the US and sump guard from Subaxtreme

Picked up snatch strap, 2 shackles, gloves and bag from Gumtree for $50 on the weekend.

Have trax and shovel

and Kinchrome tyre pump

Going next week, will post some pictures

Attachments

• IMG_20160503_111843646_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160503_111843646_HDR.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20160503_111824206_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160503_111824206_HDR.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 52
Nice one! All ready to go now :)

I am looking forward to seeing some photos of your adventures!!

Also, if you are looking to tag along with a group of Subies on a trip - be sure to check out the Subaru 4WD Club of Queensland - https://www.subaclub.com/what039s-on/

Wouldn't bother with the cast, way too brittle and weak

Anything that I can belt the crap out of with a Canadian block splitter on an anvil without cracking it is pretty robust ...

That's how I straightened out my s/h SubaXtreme one :lol: :biggrin:.

Well have another look at my pictures earlier. Looks like you had a go at my sump guard with your block splitter!

Anything that I can belt the crap out of with a Canadian block splitter on an anvil without cracking it is pretty robust ...

That's how I straightened out my s/h SubaXtreme one :lol: :biggrin:.

^ :lol: mate. I've seen what you did to yours long ago.

I don't expect mine to perform as well as 5 mm steel plate, but my mechanic won't stamp my next service invoice "UNROADWORTHY" either ...

Think of the problems that could cause with my insurer, should something unfortunate happen! So my sump guard has to be airbag compliant. I sleep better that way too :rotfl:.

Those positive comments are so rewarding, makes we want to stay here and contibute

Take it easy Taroona. Bakerboy was I am sure only trying to assist. I was having a good hearted dig at Ratbag.

Quite right, Taroona.

Rally and I have been mates for years. We have slightly different driving styles and needs/wants ... :rotfl:.

I have raised the unavailability of 'proper' OEM sump guards here with our forum sponsor, Motor Culture (for Subaru Oz), some months ago. However no response to date - bugger!

Wow, someone's a bit precious haha no one was having a dig at anyone here, this is quite a tame forum too

Back