A bit of computing history

My ip3400 works, kinda a crap printer but it works.

I recently threw out my voodoo II sli system with a massive 32mb ram and Pentium 200.

I recently threw out my voodoo II sli system with a massive 32mb ram and Pentium 200.

Lol, Only a couple of weeks ago I gave my old computer to OfficeWorks for recycling - great place to get rid of anything electrical, they recycle it all! Even old ink cartridges :biggrin:

Not sure what processor but I'm sure before Pentium. It had 32MB RAM and a massive 30+GB of hard drive :rotfl:

Yeah, resale value not all that good on those.
Mind you my 4 yo printers are now obsolete as can`t easily obtain ink for them.

Havent tried them, I've used these guys:
Ink Cartridges - InkStation

Way cheaper than buying ink from the normal places....
NOTE: this is genuine ink sold cheap, not "compatible" aftermarket ink which I've found doesn't have have the depth of colour ;)

Last edited:
Nacha, I keep a couple of magnets from a 5.25hdd in my tool box for finding dropped nuts and bolts. I think it was a 30mb drive, great magnets they'll stick together through my arm

Nacha, I keep a couple of magnets from a 5.25hdd in my tool box for finding dropped nuts and bolts. I think it was a 30mb drive, great magnets they'll stick together through my arm

Lol :rotfl:

Unfortunately I threw mine out...hate it when I drop my nuts....

My iP4200 is still my front-line colour printer. Unlike my v.old HP 690C (which I can get refilled but only use occasionally for black), carts are available for ~$A22 for a set of 5 from local suppliers.

Also run an HP P1505N laser. Was a throwout from a business after ~10K pages, new cart ex ebay $30 and it's like new.

Hang all these newfangled MFP's. Seen too many get tossed when one function (e.g. scanner) dies.

Lol, Only a couple of weeks ago I gave my old computer to OfficeWorks for recycling - great place to get rid of anything electrical, they recycle it all! Even old ink cartridges :biggrin:

Good to know ... :).

Not sure what processor but I'm sure before Pentium. It had 32MB RAM and a massive 30+GB of hard drive :rotfl:

I still have my first HDD, and its all-important RLL controller card. It's a 10 MB IBM, full height, and you could go down for murder for hitting a burglar with it!

Havent tried them, I've used these guys:
Ink Cartridges - InkStation

Way cheaper than buying ink from the normal places....
NOTE: this is genuine ink sold cheap, not "compatible" aftermarket ink which I've found doesn't have have the depth of colour ;)

www.cartridgesales.com.au sell both genuine and after-market cartridges. A double set of 6 after-market cartridges (12 in all) for our Canon network MFP costs about $60 shipped, with delivery in 24-48 hours from order.

I use genuine inks in my large format Epson printer for serious photographic printing. It uses pigment inks - 9 x 80 ml tanks.

The after-market inks for the MFP give good, true colours. Indistinguishable from those given by the OEM Canon inks (they are possibly using bulk Canon inks in after-market cartridges?). I wouldn't trust them for longevity, but I don't trust any dye based ink for longevity - or any paper that doesn't come with a profile for the printer either, FTM ...

Using a good quality, profiled paper is every bit as important as the inks used.

Mind you my 4 yo printers are now obsolete as can`t easily obtain ink for them.
Canon? I'd be surprised if you can't get compatibles for them. For instance with my iP4200 there are deals such as ebay item# 120724064555.

Back