Who is Your Insurer

Oh mate, that is a bad week for you! :(

Its great the insurance co has said you wont be out of pocket. I strongly suggest you make notes of everything that is said, both by you and them. A few years ago my GFs insurance co said thay were waiving the excess for her hail damage claim but when it came time to pick up the car we were told we had to pay it. I checked my notes & they def said they were waiving it. I told them this and asked them to check their phone records (all phone conversations are recorded) & they had to honour their initial statement...no excess! :biggrin:

Australian 4WD insurance:

https://www.dgainsurance.com.au/4wd.htm

Market value plus market value of all repairs and modifications.

Called them - for total accessories e.g. front & rear bars etc they will cover, in total, just 25% of the value of the car itself. Mods are not classed as accessories, however, this "accessories" cover wouldn't come close to covering my added bits & pieces.

Called them - for total accessories e.g. front & rear bars etc they will cover, in total, just 25% of the value of the car itself. Mods are not classed as accessories, however, this "accessories" cover wouldn't come close to covering my added bits & pieces.

Hmm. They seem to have tightened up a bit.

The package I got was to a total of roughly 25K, based on a vehicle market value of $8-10K.

I think they regarded the bars as mods rather than accessories with mine. then there's the engine, plus ECU, plus raised suspension etc.

Yes, they have tightened (their underwriters have tightened). I asked them specifically about bars and they said they are accessories not mods.

Off road insurance

Over the last couple of years I have become increasingly concerned with the level of insurance coverage diminishing on agreed value policies.

This issue is relevant when you have made or added a significant number of modifications and added numerous accessories to your vehicle. Add to that the prospect of rolling your vehicle in a remote location and you have a total write off and a costly recovery.

My modifications and accessories include:

• Lift kit + install
  • Heavy duty King Springs & KYB Struts
  • Driving Lights Bull Bar + antenna / sandflag brackets
  • Tow Bar heavy duty
  • Trailer wiring including electric brake controller, ESC and fridge & battery hotwires
  • Recovery hitch
  • Bash Plate
  • 6 X alloy rims (for offroad tyres and spares)
  • UHF & antenna
  • Roof bars
  • Roof basket
  • Awning
  • Dual Battery AMG
  • Battery charger DCDC
  • Low range offroad gear box & 4.4 diffs

The total cost of the above has set me back around $12,000 if I had to do it again.

Most insurers will insure my Foz for a maximum of approximately $6,500 to $7,000.
Earlier this year a friend rolled his vehicle in a remote location. It took us around 5 hours to recover it, but it was a write off. As my insurance was coming up for renewal this incident spurred me into action to look at proper 4x4 off road insurers.

I have now insured my Foz for approximately $19,500 with Club 4x4. This includes all my modifications and accessories. It also includes $1,500 for an off road recovery and $2,000 for personal effects. The cost is $70 more than my previous insurer who would only offer an agreed value of less than $7,000.
I can now go off road with complete peace of mind knowing that I am covered.
The link to Club 4x4 is:
https://www.club4x4.com.au/insurance/

I strongly recommend that if you have a modified vehicle and or you go off road you review your insurance as you may suffer a significant loss in the event of a claim.

This is very interesting; what was the cost of the policy?

That's great - will certainly get a quote next time I'm due for renewal. It's costing me about $1,900 for both cars combined through the 4WD association group insurance with Allianz

Havachat told me about this mob and I now use them.
My beat up MY03 is insured for market value plus $7750 worth of bits `n pieces. for about $700.
Substantially more than the previous bunch, Coles, who covered virtually nix. As I have had cheap insurance for most of the car`s life, 15 yrs and 350000 kms, I reckon my luck can`t last forever......

That's some great information! Unfortunately I can't get comprehensive insurance as my car was a repairable write off from hail & the hail damage would need to be repaired first

Australian 4WD insurance:

https://www.dgainsurance.com.au/4wd.htm

Market value plus market value of all repairs and modifications. As you can imagine with all my mods that adds up to a sizeable amount.

being 4wd insurance it covers off road accidents with standard excess.

Underwritten by Allianz. No claims, but I'm very happy with them.

Previous insurer was Shannon's. I'm not with them any more for good reason.

Hi Dulagarl, can I ask for the good reason? as I am with Shannons due to having so many mods

Any more recent experiences with Club 4X4 insurance?
As previously discussed I have now got a quote from Club 4X4 and will most likely go with them as they cover everything at agreed value. My Foz has accessories worth more than the car and my Triton's accessories are about equal to the value of the car. The premium is less than my old insurer, Allianz (4WD Association Group cover), and they won't cover mods & accessories for more than 50% of the value of the vehicle.

Hi Dulagarl, can I ask for the good reason? as I am with Shannons due to having so many mods

1. they only let me insure for value of purchse
  2. they dumped me because I had too many claims: three in total, one of which was hail damage, and another was a no fault accident.

Back