Insurance: Help yourself...Not them

Gidday HC

IIRC, the excess is about $500 each on ours. Premiums are around the $800-850 for the SG and SH respectively.

The suburb where we live has an extra excess!! First time I have ever heard of a suburb driving a car ... We have lived in this area for the last 35+ years, and even though we have moved house, we still drive to the same places. Bloody thieving mongrels! Not as bad as yours though, considering the agreed value is 3-4 times as much on ours!!

We are insured for nominated drivers, and no one under 25 y.o. can drive the cars except for car parking and emergent situations.

Also if you own a late model Subaru with the Eyesight Driver Assist Technology, make dead certain that your windscreen is covered by the policy.

I have read of a Forester owner in Melbourne (from memory) who had to have his windscreen replaced due to a crack by a stone, he had a battle on his hands as the Insurer wanted it replaced by O'Briens, he told them it had to be OEM and be re-calibrated for the Eyesight Driver Assist Technology, outcome was that he was correct, it ended up costing his Insurer around $1700.00 for the windscreen.

Eyesight Driver Assist Windscreen Replacement - Owners story, be sure to read his first and second posts in the Thread.

Be careful out there on the street.

Last edited:
I am now reconsidering insurance for both my vehicles. I've been with Club4x4 for a few years and noted that their premiums have doubled since 2017! A major issue is that most other insurance offerings do not cover the "extras" or only cover up to a certain percentage of the vehicle value; in my case this does not provide adequate cover for my vehicles. Has anyone found a policy, other than Club4x4, that allows the extras to be the same or greater value than the vehicle itself?

I am now reconsidering insurance for both my vehicles. I've been with Club4x4 for a few years and noted that their premiums have doubled since 2017! A major issue is that most other insurance offerings do not cover the "extras" or only cover up to a certain percentage of the vehicle value; in my case this does not provide adequate cover for my vehicles. Has anyone found a policy, other than Club4x4, that allows the extras to be the same or greater value than the vehicle itself?

Have you tried:

CGU Insurance

DGA (4x4 Insurance Broker)

Affinity Insurance Brokers

CGU is no good so that rules out Affinity as well. I think I looked at DGA in the past; will look again.

@Kevin Something worth considering is that some attachments to your vehicle may be classed as chattels, and possibly insurable as part of home and contents, or under an all risks extension thereof. e.g. roof top tent and similar.

DGA will cover no more than 99% of the value of the vehicle in additional mods & accessories; looks like I stay with Club4X4.

Late to the party, but did you look at Shannons?

Ben, Shannons do not have a very good reputation. Pay claims, and then deny reinsurance ... One then has to declare this for the rest of one's life.

My son had a quote from Shannons for his 2012 Foz S - he said they were over the top price-wise

Shannons do not have a very good reputation. Pay claims, and then deny reinsurance ... One then has to declare this for the rest of one's life.
Oh! I've never used them, didn't know their reputation was bad.

Back