Rally's MY04 Forrie- Poverty Pack special

Purchased second hand. Rear diff and instrument cluster replaced under warranty. First change was to fit CB UHF GME radio. Car has externally mounted windscreen aerial bracket. Just purchased set of new KYB shock absorbers- the originals have had it- will install when they arrive. Next step is to replace standard steel rims with MY99 WRX rims. Then sump guard and driving lights.
001.jpg

002.jpg

003-1.jpg

WatagansOctober2010b.jpg

WatagansOctober2010a.jpg

WatagansOctober2010.jpg

Last edited:
The picture is of Sir John Monash. In my mind one of the greatest generals in world history, and the greatest Australian ever. He actually cared about the tragic waste of lives that the British squandered, and did something about it. In doing so he revolutionised the way war was fought, and in the process laid down the means for the allies winning the First World War. The men under his command adored him, because it was their lives that were being saved. Between 250,000 and 300,000 went to his funeral- an enormous turnout from a country of only 4.5 million at the time.

See this: https://www.convictcreations.com/history/monash.html and also read the book The Great War by Les Carlyon. Being a Melbourne boy, you'd know all bout Monash University and the Monash Freeway. But the tragedy is most people outside Victoria just don't know.

This is my way of remembering and paying tribute to a great man.

A Great Australian.

The picture is of Sir John Monash. In my mind one of the greatest generals in world history, and the greatest Australian ever. He actually cared about the tragic waste of lives that the British squandered, and did something about it. In doing so he revolutionised the way war was fought, and in the process laid down the means for the allies winning the First World War. The men under his command adored him, because it was their lives that were being saved. Between 250,000 and 300,000 went to his funeral- an enormous turnout from a country of only 4.5 million at the time.

See this: https://www.convictcreations.com/history/monash.html and also read the book The Great War by Les Carlyon. Being a Melbourne boy, you'd know all bout Monash University and the Monash Freeway. But the tragedy is most people outside Victoria just don't know.

This is my way of remembering and paying tribute to a great man.

The boy from Jerilderie, reputed to have held Ned Kelly's horse - a 'legend' he neither confirmed nor denied...

I'm embarrassed that I didn't recognise Australia's greatest General. Read a biography of him last year. Totally agree with your assessment. [My maternal grandfather served under him. Pop was an original member of the 21st battalion and lucky enough to survive the war, as the 21st lost more than its total compliment between 1915 - 18. But for Monash's organisational ability far more servicemen would've been killed, ... and I would likely not be writing this.]

An amasing feat for an amateur soldier to rise to command not only the entire AIF but, in effect, much of the allied forces on the Western Front by the end of the war. AAnd all this based solely on merit, and despite 'anti colonialism' and anti semitism in many quarters, including both Murdoch and Australian War Historian C.E.W. Bean - although Bean did later acknowledge his error.

Before WW1 he was already an accomplished engineer, responsible for the 'Outer Circle' railway and had pioneered reinforced concrete structures. Also the driving force behind the development of the State Electricity Commission in the 1920s.

Monash was also a great democrat, he refused to have anything to do with the 'New Guard', an organisation made up predominantly of ex-WW1 officers of a conservative mind-set, who wanted to overthrow several state governments - especially the NSW Labor government - during the depression. His refusal to 'lead' them took the wind from their sails, had he agreed it might have ended otherwise.

Hard to imagine that 1 in every 3 Melbournians were at his funeral. In my opinion he was the greatest Australian of the 1st half of the 20th Century, certainly far more significant than any of our sporting 'heroes' - a term that is too easily applied in my opinion.

O.K. ... I suppose we better go back on topic. However, I'm pleased I asked the question, especially as it is only a week until Remembrance Day.

Nah, just the Coopers. I set the pressure as the Coopers bloke advised, and it did make a difference. It's no WRX- nor is it as good as the Toyos I had on my last Forester. But it will do for now.

The Forrie with its MY98/99 WRX rims and as also seen on my previous Forester.

002-2.jpg

Looks Good Rally!

Am still inclined to think that steelies are best for off roading. 'One day' I'll get myself a set and fit larger rubber for dirt...

Since the last trip I've had to do an oil change. Looks like the splash tray did not appreciate my offroad adventures. There are some cracks and one of the leading retainers has ripped through. With nothing to protect the sump, I might have to either buy another one or get one of those cheap and nasty aluminium sump guards to replace the trusty genuine one with all its structual plastic!

I'm currently reading his biography. Seems he had quite a decent chat with Ned kelly, whom he said offered good advice to him without ever saying what that advise was. He thought Ned would have made a great soldier. His younger years- up till about 40, were a struggle. Anyway, I'm only up to the start of The Great War, so much of the story is still to be told. I just finished reading Pompey Elliott's biography- at the end it was pretty much how I felt having visited the WW1 battlefields- many mixed emotions. Very powerful stuff- better by far than any movie.

Back on topic (I thought the hi jacking of my thread to be perfectly ok in this instance) it seems I did have a small problem. Error code 519. I'll try some more upper cylinder cleaner to see if that fixes it.

The boy from Jerilderie, reputed to have held Ned Kelly's horse - a 'legend' he neither confirmed nor denied...

I'm embarrassed that I didn't recognise Australia's greatest General. Read a biography of him last year. Totally agree with your assessment. [My maternal grandfather served under him. Pop was an original member of the 21st battalion and lucky enough to survive the war, as the 21st lost more than its total compliment between 1915 - 18. But for Monash's organisational ability far more servicemen would've been killed, ... and I would likely not be writing this.]

An amasing feat for an amateur soldier to rise to command not only the entire AIF but, in effect, much of the allied forces on the Western Front by the end of the war. AAnd all this based solely on merit, and despite 'anti colonialism' and anti semitism in many quarters, including both Murdoch and Australian War Historian C.E.W. Bean - although Bean did later acknowledge his error.

Before WW1 he was already an accomplished engineer, responsible for the 'Outer Circle' railway and had pioneered reinforced concrete structures. Also the driving force behind the development of the State Electricity Commission in the 1920s.

Monash was also a great democrat, he refused to have anything to do with the 'New Guard', an organisation made up predominantly of ex-WW1 officers of a conservative mind-set, who wanted to overthrow several state governments - especially the NSW Labor government - during the depression. His refusal to 'lead' them took the wind from their sails, had he agreed it might have ended otherwise.

Hard to imagine that 1 in every 3 Melbournians were at his funeral. In my opinion he was the greatest Australian of the 1st half of the 20th Century, certainly far more significant than any of our sporting 'heroes' - a term that is too easily applied in my opinion.

O.K. ... I suppose we better go back on topic. However, I'm pleased I asked the question, especially as it is only a week until Remembrance Day.

A mate of mine is a concretor- but he builds big stuff for things like freeways and so on, so this was nothing. He laid the driveway, side path, rear path, and the slabs for both the garden shed and outdoor entertainment area. All at mate's rates. I actually spent a lot of time working out the design of the driveway before I built it. In fact, I even had them mirror image the design of the house so the driveway would be on the far side of the light pole. It then had to be as wide as the council would allow (6 metres) to aid getting in and out. Some of my neighbours have terribly designed driveways- some surely were designed by panelbeaters and/or chiropractors! But perhaps like me you like the pattern

It has been a while since my last update on this thread. I have installed a second hand bull bar- purchased from another ORS member. I have had to cut away a fair bit of the leading edges of the plastic lining of the inner guard. Water crossings still seem to dislodge them but I do not wish to cut away too much. Just this week I have installed a pair of Lightforce pencil beam driving lights. They are the Genesis 210mm light and they have exceeded my expectations. I was looking at getting an HID upgrade but I now feel this is no longer necessary. I was a bit reticent about getting this brand but their performance is such I am confident my reservations were misplaced. Wiring them up was pretty straight forward, the only minor issue was finding the high beam wire in the Subaru wiring loom. This is not a kit- just a couple of lights with some wring sticking out of them. The rest of the wiring, relays, switches and connections is BYO. But the result is worth it

Just a little while, mate ... ;) :lol:

It has been a while since my last update on this thread. I have installed a second hand bull bar- purchased from another ORS member. I have had to cut away a fair bit of the leading edges of the plastic lining of the inner guard. Water crossings still seem to dislodge them but I do not wish to cut away too much. Just this week I have installed a pair of Lightforce pencil beam driving lights. They are the Genesis 210mm light and they have exceeded my expectations. I was looking at getting an HID upgrade but I now feel this is no longer necessary. I was a bit reticent about getting this brand but their performance is such I am confident my reservations were misplaced. Wiring them up was pretty straight forward, the only minor issue was finding the high beam wire in the Subaru wiring loom. This is not a kit- just a couple of lights with some wring sticking out of them. The rest of the wiring, relays, switches and connections is BYO. But the result is worth it

:ttiwop

Not really, but I did notice the nice pics of your new lights elsewhere ... :biggrin:

Back