OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Unread 4th June 2018, 01:46 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachaLuva View Post
Yeah definitely. I haven't used VDC on sand yet but the guys in WA talk about this all the time.

You can't switch off VDC in a Subaru, only way to do it is to pull the fuse. In some models that causes problems with steering & other systems. No one's been able to work out a good way to do it yet
There is switch on the right hand side of my steering column. What is that for? I thought it was to disable VDC. If it isn't, what is it for and when would I need to use it?
Unread 4th June 2018, 05:04 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

With the squiggly lines? That's traction control. Definitely turn that off whenever you go offroad. It's linked to the VDC & apparently changes the VDC settings but doesn't switch it off

Last edited by Kevin; 4th June 2018 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Unnecessary use of "Quote"
Unread 4th June 2018, 05:37 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachworm View Post
There is switch on the right hand side of my steering column. What is that for? I thought it was to disable VDC. If it isn't, what is it for and when would I need to use it?
it does not say VDC on later models foresters . it shows traction control

best thing to test it yourself and see how it will affect your capabilitys. just find some offroad tracks with some flex so your 1 or 2 wheels would go in air and then test it with it on and off. when you will learn it you will know how and when to use it .
with VDC on you should get traction control light on dashboard when its find wheel spin thats how you know when its engaging .
not sure thou how traction control works on later models, must be different then older outback models. as VDC uses traction control and other systems as it seems needed. so if you turn off just traction control other systems still working .
seems like VDC without traction control off works very well on those foresters

just other day i made very similar short video. but in my situation im using VDC fully On. i have no separate traction control control. unless there would be some fuses for that .
but then again when i turn VDC off i turn everything off , and later models turning off just traction control.
you can hear from sound that VDC reduces some engine power as well im not doing nothing with pedal just holding it steady

Last edited by scalman; 4th June 2018 at 05:59 AM. Reason: pic too large
Unread 4th June 2018, 07:38 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

The off button turns off only the function that cuts power to the engine. This is how you transition from "road" to "off-road" mode. Not that Subaru cares to explain; years ago I found this bit of info in a UK dealer made video. Corroborated by experience.

On the Toyota, there is TSC, which is road traction control, like Subaru VDC with the button on and there is ATRAC or off-road traction control.

When you switch to low range, TSC is disabled. However, A-trac is not automatically enabled, so you do that by pressing a button.

In addition, there are two other off-road traction control modes, crawl control, first introduced by Land Rover, I think, which now Subaru X-mode imitates, and multi-terrain select. They all work with the brakes and engine in ways no human can. They only work in low range, which is where Subaru x-mode is a poor relation because it does not incorporate any low gear in its package.

Unlike pre-xmode Subaru VDC, Toyota A-trac stops spinning wheels very quickly.

VDC or not, if you try a Subaru in rock, for which it really is not meant, you stop first, spin wheels second, and only then you finally move again. So, better than old-school 4x4s with open diffs, but a far cry from what a specialized 4x4 offers nowadays. The latter never notices rocks that temporarily stop a Subaru and climbs without spin ledges that are beyond Subaru capability.

So, yes, VDC is a big deal for general purpose off-roading, but it cannot cure Subaru's fundamental deficiencies in rock, specifically angles and lack of low range. I understand that rocks do not dominate everyone's corner but they are a quintessential part of offroading around here.
Unread 5th June 2018, 05:59 AM
Forum Member

well newer off button does on and older or no Off button like in mine does other thing . im just turning all vdc off . with it off my wheels just spins no control at all. so nothing works then only ABS in braking.
newer models off works just until certain speed as well as mine works all time no limits. because im using fuse not actual button. still its lots of unknown how and what it disables for real and why. VDC systems as it is changed from gen to gen . it evolved but nobody making those infos for us what changed and how. or how x mode works and what it uses.
would be cool if xmode system would be just some computer block that could be put older models as well.

Last edited by scalman; 5th June 2018 at 07:13 AM.
Unread 7th June 2018, 05:52 PM
Forum Member

made new video VDC off vs ON with disconnected front sway bar. i really dig up myself down there before video and dig some with VDC off more , VDC off wasnt going anywhere not even moving , and VDC on system found traction, not right away as you cant see in video on other side it dig huge hole with rear wheel as well. still VDC find a way to go from there.
and for VDC its even more to it then just find grip. it must keep car on line , if just one wheel would found grip so it would take whole car to one side or another, so VDC in that situation must use wheels so car would still go straight where im pointing front wheels.
Unread 7th June 2018, 07:40 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Good video scalman, shows it well
Unread 29th June 2018, 04:10 PM
Forum Member

VDC just loves sand and those BFG TA Ko2 tires . and i love to give it some chalenges. i think its more sinteresting then just driving with locker. and one locker only could be not enough in some places. i got there all grip i could needed. and no spinning wheels no digging too much.

how it looked from other side. again wheel that is most in air want to spin there. VDC stopps him trying to find traction on other wheels and prevent from digging down.