Notices

User Tag List

Old 10th March 2018, 01:54 AM

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X MY05
Transmission: 5MT D/R
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road
Default UEL headers, what's the point?

Ok, so lots of people rave about UEL headers..
But what's the point apart from the 'boxer sound'?
Do they improve performance?
Do they improve economy?
Old 10th March 2018, 02:16 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

As far as i read about it they not do nothing else to 2.5NA engines. Some say you even loosing some torque on lower revs maybe, but i didint felt that. Even if i would loose i dont care. So if you no need that little bit of famous subaru impreza wrx rally rumble, then is no point to do uel.
Why i did it? I allways looked those old wrc rallys and that old 1995 impreza wrx was sounding like heaven for me and its still is. And then i heard on youtube how other outback sounds with it and i just loved it.
Economy dont changing. I drove it and i didint felt nothing changed after uel in fuel usage.
But you could go many ways with uel . depends on rear muffler box you can make it more louder or less. Mine is less inside car is not too loud , its not distracting or anoying sound if i carry passengers noone complaining about it. But if you will go with some sporty rear muffler box then you will be quite loud outside and more inside.
Old 10th March 2018, 04:58 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Outback. JDM TT conversion
Transmission: 5MT DR
duncanm is on a distinguished road

The UEL manifold is a design compromise, due to cost and space constraints. A side effect is the Subaru rumble.

Smooth, tuned (ish) headers are better than manifolds.

EL headers are even better again - but need some redesign of the sump to fit a Subaru boxer. ie: $$ for retrofit.
Old 10th March 2018, 05:48 PM

but nothing else would give you that sound for H4 NA engine only UEL.
Old 12th March 2018, 11:19 PM

Year: 1988
Model: EJ22'd L series
Transmission: Locking Centre Diff 5spd Manual 4.111:1 diff ratio with 1.59:1 low range and a front OBX LSD ;)
El_Freddo is on a distinguished road

Sound, purely for sound.

Get the UEL lengths right with a good muffler out back and you'll have a very sweet WRX like sound from your NA.

The best one I've got in the family is my sister's Gen3 Liberty that I got going for her. Before handing it over I had a friend knock up a UEL set of extractors for it - best thing I did for that car. Went from Honda spec to WRX spec - power and economy hasn't changed as far as we know. My sister consistently pulls 8.6L/100km from it every week on the open road.

The UELs might rob 8kw or there abouts, but for pure driving pleasure it's well worth it in my opinion.

Now I'm working out how to do the same with my EJ22 L series (which has a factory UEL Y pipe but isn't anywhere near as good as the Gen3) and the brumby. Again the brumby has a factory UEL Y pipe, but another guy I know built his own set of extractors following the lines of the turbo extractors and it sounds mint with a good muffler out the back.

That's pretty much the only reason for it. The subaru has the best note only second to a V8 with a decent exhaust system on it IMHO!!

Cheers

Bennie
Old 13th March 2018, 08:24 AM

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X MY05
Transmission: 5MT D/R
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Freddo View Post
Sound, purely for sound...

...The UELs might rob 8kw or there abouts, but for pure driving pleasure it's well worth it in my opinion.
Personally, I'd rather have the 8kw

Quote:
That's pretty much the only reason for it. The subaru has the best note only second to a V8 with a decent exhaust system on it IMHO!!

Cheers

Bennie
My 76 beetle used to sound pretty wicked when it had a hole in the exhaust and the old man's '74 911 sounded pretty awesome too.

I wonder if there's any common link..

I guess I could be tempted if the process of obtaining and installing them was cheap. I also don't really have the equipment to do all the work, so would in all likelyhood have to pay someone to do it, which kind of kills the cheap factor.
Old 13th March 2018, 08:58 AM

If you dont need that sound or dont care then you no need uel's . if you care for sound you dont care for couple kw. And noone counted that you use 8kw or something. Its just some say that. Depends on uel. My uel is what i made so noone have same uel as i made. As those angles are diff.
Then you can change sound with air intake as well. When i put that cold air intake filter it was too loud inside car like omg loud . i just test it and changed back to oem slighty modified air box.
Didint felt nothing that i lost any power but thats because that sound makes you feel cool right away. Like you feel as you have more power because you more hear what engine doo , i love how mine sounds when i release gas pedal it makes some cool sound there think its sounds even better outside.
Old 13th March 2018, 04:25 PM

Year: 98
Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual 5 speed
1WD Foz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Freddo View Post
The UELs might rob 8kw or there abouts, but for pure driving pleasure it's well worth it in my opinion.

On my 2.0L foz I went from stock headers and exhaust to UELís and bigger exhaust and I definitely noticed more power (and noise lol)
Now I canít compare UELís without the bigger exhaust so that makes things tricky
but I think my mid to top end power has increased by a few kw at least as I can now safely overtake whereas before it was something I would plan for 15ks lol.
All this at the cost of slightly less response in the low end.

All in all having the uel headers and exhaust only makes me want to drive my foz more lol

1WD
Old 13th March 2018, 06:06 PM

2.0 engines sounds really good with UEL . but that more power feel you getting from sound like it goes into you and because you more hear what engine is doing thats why you kinda feel more power.
Old 13th March 2018, 06:58 PM

Year: 98
Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual 5 speed
1WD Foz is on a distinguished road

No actually thatís why I went into depth trying to explain that I have an increase in power.
Plus Iím using less fuel
Go figure

1WD