OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Unread 3rd March 2018, 07:15 AM
Forum Member

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road
Default retrofit a VDC system in an older car

Five years ago, when I installed the rear helical and DCCD I had in mind to retrofit a VDC system in my now old '97 Forester but time has passed and because it already is quite capable offroad, the idea only stayed in a corner of my head.

Now I'm thinking of that again and have a friend that knows a guy building his own rock crawlers with a similar system, I mean torsen diffs and retrofitted ETC (Subaru VDC) so I'll get in touch with him to see if we can do something together on my Forester.

I still believe that it would be the ultimate transmission for our rigs, probably even better than diff locks.
Unread 3rd March 2018, 12:04 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

good idea. i saw you wanted that back in 2013. so you mean take all that stuff from newer models like 2009 or something and put it in yours ? will it fit ?
so you cant just buy forester that allready have it ? how much all those parts will cost you ?
btw i love VDC on my car. its kinda concept one , one of first that they tested on outbacks back then, but i think its so great combined with my tires and even not so powerfull engine and 4eat .
Unread 3rd March 2018, 12:24 PM
Forum Member

I have a friend that has 2 Outbacks like yours with VDC and VTD he doesn't use anymore and on which I could take some parts before he sends them to the scrap yard...so it will be free ! But the difficult part will be to see if I (more precisely another friend !) can retrofit parts of VDC system, the wheel sensors if different from the ABS sensors and the hydraulic pump to activate the brakes but not all the other sensors like the speed, wheel angle, G force...etc because I don't need them.

If it works out, I would theorically have 3 differential lockers...

As you say, it would probably be easier to get a newer 4EAT Forester ('06-'08) with VTD and VDC but I want to do it another way !
Unread 3rd March 2018, 12:29 PM
Forum Member

what you mean you don't need other sensors ? so how system will work then for you if you will not have some sensors ? and how it will work then for you if no have sensors there.
are you saying you wanna make like manual control of VDC ? is that possible ? i mean l allways thought why noone making some kind chip or something to like make our VDC system like with preloaded positions like to make traction control harder or weaker on wheels.
Unread 3rd March 2018, 12:36 PM
Forum Member

I don't know nothing about electronics so maybe will I have to swap the entire VDC system but if I can only use the braking part of it, it would be enough for my needs.
Unread 3rd March 2018, 12:42 PM
Forum Member

well best of luck to you on that if its possible. or just swap everything whats comes with it then.
wait..friend that has VDC outback and dont use it anymore? so whats wrong with car ? maybe you can fix it and drive it haha. would be easier then swap all parts.
Unread 3rd March 2018, 03:02 PM
Forum Member

No ! I truly think that its possible to retrofit a VDC system in an older car. It could also be a non Subaru module if its easier, will see....
Unread 3rd March 2018, 03:10 PM
Forum Member

i guess if you simply remove everything thats comes with it and move there. but then its very sensitive system. speed ratio by wheels and such is there and calculated by model i guess. problems comes later after you done all and you drive and sudenly its stops to work or something else happens what to do then ? its all sensors and software.
Unread 3rd March 2018, 04:03 PM
Forum Member

You can switch the VDC off manually in your Outback, don't you ? Does your VDC system work by just applying the brakes or does it work with the engine RPM too ?

I am looking for a simple early version that just works by applying the brakes, an inverted ABS system that could work by adding a valve to the hydraulic brake modulator.
Unread 3rd March 2018, 08:15 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

If you can do it, it would be a big improvement! But it will be difficult to do. Not just fitting the mechanical parts but also doing all the electrical side. Be prepared to have your Foz off the road for some time while you sort out all the bugs