OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > General Forums > Members Journals

Notices

Unread 3rd June 2018, 06:31 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

i wish i could go fishing nowadays more. but as i went there just for 2 days so i better chose just boat fun in lake then swimming a lot. i was fishing before more often. im looking now to buy maybe inflatable boat. small and cheap but not too cheap. something like intex excursion 4 maybe. so i wouldnt pay 5 euros per/hr for boat/kayak everytime . its about 115-120 euros this boat here. i like seats they look more comfy then other boat just simple sitting as my back rly killing me in kayak .its just too hard for me to sit on that narrow small seat in kayak for more then 1hr.

wonder anyone here using any inflatable boats for lake , river fun ?
everyone asking me : why you go 150 km just to swim in lake , we have lakes that are not that far here. But i just dont like do stuff near home rly . and those lakes are many lakes connected with each other , its not same as just be on 1 lake. here you can go from one to another and so on. i love that.
yes its same place. its just around where i live
will have now 4 days free and 2 days free together with gf so maybe i will go to lakes again overnight. now i have set up my fridge/cooler to work overnight if i would need it . and its good to charge phones overnight too without using main battery . now i just need make some simple second battery charging system when cars running.

that lakes area where i go for many yrs looks like that.its 2hr drive there but its not bothers me at all. just cost some. as my mpg is worse then it could be with that P0420 error coming then and now. in worse case scenario im using mindblowing 20l to 100km and on better times maybe about 15-16l average on 100km. thats still bad what other people here getting with LPG systems same cars same engines. they getting some 12l to 100km average. i never got that number ever. but then i always drive on that P0420 error.
Unread 6th June 2018, 03:58 PM

disconnected front sway bar and waned to find solution how to keep it there not removing it . first tried some straps but hat broke on more extreme flex there. later tried with some rubber . as im seeing how it moves and im thinking if i do like quick atach to it and somewhere high
but i got more flex and managed to drive same place that i tested just couple days before more easily.

later i put there some rubber stuff and secured it on that rubber so even if its reaches max flex it could move some on rubber not braking it.

other thing what gives that front sway bar disconnection ? in city as i drove i couldnt felt any difference. so i wonder is it more on high speeds . and what other parts now work harder as i disconnected sway bar ? and should i be worried if i will drive daily now without sway bar ?
Unread 6th June 2018, 04:09 PM

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

If your shocks are in good condition, it will be ok but you will have to drive smoothly. Another thing that will change is you will get more grip on the front wheels, no more understeer. I drive without swaybars since....can't even remember !
Unread 6th June 2018, 04:11 PM

what you mean drive smoothly ? like carefully , and what if my shocks not in best condition , will i have problems ? should i test that maybe on higher speeds if some woblle will appear or smt .
well you have very good shocks there so its hard to compare stock shocks to that.

and i made comparison on pic mine couple days ago same spot with sway bar and today without. doesnt look any difference on how much front wheel drops, just it felt that got more grip i guess. or i was just in impression that i got .
Unread 6th June 2018, 04:34 PM

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

Yes, I mean carefully.

Best is you drive your Outback on a very low traffic road and you make some tests (braking, cornering, tight turns...) to feel how it behaves. I never had wobbles even at high speed (140+km/h)

But for sure, the HotBits can be tuned on compression and rebound so its not a good comparison.
Unread 6th June 2018, 04:45 PM

iv heard one guy from australia with this gen outback with lift and without both sway bars driving ok everywhere. i think hes just having stock shocks. some people say it can be s cary some ppl say its ok so its hard to know what they mean for real. i never drive more then 120-130km/h my tires doesnt like that speed they rly becoming loud so i not do it . and i never need that just couple times when i go on highways and thats rare most in summer drive to sea place . im not using highways other times i like more slow but more twisty interesting roads where you have some things to see not just drive straight for hrs . so most times what i do its 90-95 km/h between citys and of course 50-55km in citys.
i tested allready some cornering at 40-50km/h , braking and such stuff and i dont see much difference. same as with rear sway bar removing i found its better driving car for me . maybe more leaning on corners but thats fine.
Unread 6th June 2018, 07:07 PM

latest test VDC without front sway bar. think i got more grip and it was easier on VDC to make car go forward.

Unread 15th June 2018, 07:55 AM

changed front driver side wheel bearing , that i was changing last year. so its holded just about one year.
changed both front ball joints.
steering rack still has looseness in it . but its big improvement allready for front.
i guess removing front sway bar just makes all those things more pronounce. so all must be in very good condition without sway bar.
hi lift jack was very good for that front job. no need to secure car under because hi lift it just holds that very secure. compare to the normal or oem jack that comes with car i have those 2 now and they both starts to not work after some time when i use them fully lifted .

and my trunk load for daily driving i take all in there. i have swiming suits , all tools for any car repair, recovery gars and other stuff for just camping

Last edited by scalman; 15th June 2018 at 10:11 AM.
Unread 15th June 2018, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

You should never use just a HiLift jack to support a car as they are very dangerous and many people have been hurt.
Unread 15th June 2018, 09:06 PM

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
You should never use just a HiLift jack to support a car as they are very dangerous and many people have been hurt.
+100