Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Unread 21st September 2015, 12:00 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1988
Model: L Series
Transmission: 5Speed Manual
AndrewT is on a distinguished road

You sound very confident ElFreddo, that's good...although I used to have the exact same noise in Monsterwagon and that had no front shafts at all at the time.
Fyi I installed two brand new rear shafts and no change at all.

Admittedly the front shafts I'm using are old ones - no clicks on turning etc but I guess they could have other issues. Guess I will look at getting a pair of new front shafts - bit annoying throwing money at it tho.

I just had a look at the centre bearing of the tailshaft. Looks like it will actually be at a much better angle if I remove the little liftkit blocks from it entirely. Trouble is that makes the tailshaft foul on the SF forester shifter linkage - I'll have to modify my custom mount for that to sit it further up in the cabin. Worth a try I guess.
Unread 21st September 2015, 12:37 AM
Forum Member

Actually come to think of it, the front shafts came from the same donor SF forester that the gearbox did. The Forester didn't have this issue when I test drove it, I'm sure i'd have noticed. Perhaps they are worn and I happened to install them to this car the other way around (left to right).
Unread 26th September 2015, 11:28 AM
Forum Member

Model: EJ22'd L series
Transmission: Locking Centre Diff 5spd Manual 4.111:1 diff ratio with 1.59:1 low range and a front OBX LSD ;)
El_Freddo is on a distinguished road

Nah if you had the noise without front shafts in the issue won't be drive shafts!

Back to square one

Cheers

Bennie
Unread 28th September 2015, 08:15 AM
Forum Member

That was with the RWD setup in the 6" lift monsterwagon tho.

Anyways, I think this is solved now, just had a test drive a minute ago and the noise is all but gone, just a teency bit if you listen very hard.
It was the tailshaft centre bearing position.
I had it spaced down with the ~1" blocks as part of my 2" lift kit.
But looking at the tailshaft, this put it at an odd angle. I think because my rear K frame isn't actually spaced down at all, only my rear struts.
So I removed the centre bearing blocks and bolted it up at stock location. This fouled my EJ gear shifter so I had to re-do my custom mount for that too.
So yeah, instant change, no noise at all which I'd call out of the ordinary!

I do have two brand new front driveshafts being delivered this week now, but oh well, good to have as spares lol.
Unread 29th September 2015, 01:58 AM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

^ good to hear that you have finally found the cause, Andrew .

These things can be very hard to track down, and extremely bloody annoying!
Unread 29th September 2015, 10:22 AM
Forum Member

Such a small change to make a big difference. I would have thought the uni joints and centre bearing mount itself would be able to easily soak up a bit of angle but the grinding noise was just terrible!
Unread 2nd October 2015, 12:24 AM
Forum Member

Model: EJ22'd L series
Transmission: Locking Centre Diff 5spd Manual 4.111:1 diff ratio with 1.59:1 low range and a front OBX LSD ;)
El_Freddo is on a distinguished road

So what was grinding?

The centre bearing makes sense, too much angle on the first part of the tail shaft without the matching angle made at the centre bearing could have things contacting each other, creating that grinding sound.

Any marks to indicate metal on metal contact?

Cheers

Bennie
Unread 2nd October 2015, 12:33 AM
Forum Member

I don't think it was centre bearing, based on having the exact same noise in the previous Monsterwagon which was running RWD with a single piece tailshaft - no centre bearing. Also when I had this tailshaft built, the centre bearing is literally the only piece remaining from the old shaft, and they inspected it saying it was perfectly good.
So maybe the uni joints, but perhaps not as they are brand new and very robust holden jobbies in this shaft now.
No visible evidence I can see from under, but I'm not going to be pulling things out for a very close look at this stage.

Maybe something strange like (thinking "out loud" here) perhaps the extra angle on the centre bearing or unis was creating a sort of "drag" on the tailshaft, which was causing a backlash type issue with the centre diff? The noise certainly sounded very much like it was coming from that area of the gearbox.

I'm happy for the time being anyway. I was going ahead finishing the rest of the build anyway so technically this wasn't holding me up, but I'm very happy to be progressing without this bugbear now!
Unread 17th October 2017, 12:51 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1999
Model: Outback
Transmission: Manual
pontoontodd is on a distinguished road

Bumping this thread as I'm having a similar problem. I have a 1999 Legacy Outback with 5MT and an EZ30 swap. Recently first gear lost a tooth. Found a dual range 5MT. Seller had mentioned the brass synchro ring for high range was bad, got a replacement for that. Needle bearing inside that gear looked like it had been overheated, replaced that. I think there was some preload on the input shaft. Had to shim out the input shaft a bit more than it was and then everything seemed to assemble and spin freely. Works great, shifts smoothly. After maybe 50 miles it started making a scraping noise. The noise comes and goes, bad for a minute or so, then quiet for a little while. Mainly makes noise when engine braking or light acceleration. Anything over about 1/4 throttle makes no noise, definitely load dependent. There has also been a squealing noise a few times when accelerating hard, usually in second gear. Driven it about 500 miles now, noise isn't getting noticeably better or worse. Didn't see any shiny spots on the propshaft from rubbing. Thoughts?
Unread 18th October 2017, 12:13 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1998
Model: Outback. JDM TT conversion
Transmission: 5MT DR
duncanm is on a distinguished road

My first thoughts were 'propshaft rubbing on heat shields' until I read your last sentence.

That being said - check again for any tiny scratch. When my diff bushes collapsed (*), the prop shaft started rubbing on the heat shield right at the back edge and it made all sorts of weird scrapy noises on deceleration. It only rubbed a tiny bit, but the shield amplified it enormously.

It was fairly obvious with some thought -- as at low speeds, the scraping was modulating with speed (not engine revs), and much faster (say 4.11x) wheel speed.

(*) - only realised many months later after I'd bent the shield up a bit out of the way.

Last edited by Kevin; 18th October 2017 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Use of "Quote"