OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Mods, Insurance, Local Compliance & you

Notices

Unread 29th January 2013, 02:45 AM
Administrator and Founders' Friend

Year: MY05
Model: Forry XT
Transmission: manual
mr turbo is on a distinguished road

^^ Geez, with prices like that, I think we're in the wrong business

Regards
Mr Turbo
Unread 29th January 2013, 10:38 PM
Forum Member

thunder039 is on a distinguished road

have been reading through all the government infrastructure docs today and i am still confused

the reason being is this one section of the doc
"4WD passenger vehicles specifically designed for off-road use (typically MC ADR
category). All wheel drive (AWD) vehicles including those AWD vehicles that may be certified as MC ADR category, (also commonly known as soft roaders) are not
included in this category"

now the reason why i am confused is that our forester are stamped MC which in every other document states, that this means its is a offroad vehicle and must comply with the offroad vehicle regulations. i went and spoke to vic roads about this before and they said that what ever is stamped on the compliance plate (MC in our case) is what the car is and must comply with.
i told her about the document said and she said that it doesn't make sense to her either

she said she would ask subaru themselves as they should know which regulations the car must comply with.
Unread 29th January 2013, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Gidday Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder039 View Post
have been reading through all the government infrastructure docs today and i am still confused

the reason being is this one section of the doc
"4WD passenger vehicles specifically designed for off-road use (typically MC ADR
category). All wheel drive (AWD) vehicles including those AWD vehicles that may be certified as MC ADR category, (also commonly known as soft roaders) are not
included in this category"

now the reason why i am confused is that our forester are stamped MC which in every other document states, that this means its is a offroad vehicle and must comply with the offroad vehicle regulations. i went and spoke to vic roads about this before and they said that what ever is stamped on the compliance plate (MC in our case) is what the car is and must comply with.
i told her about the document said and she said that it doesn't make sense to her either

she said she would ask subaru themselves as they should know which regulations the car must comply with.
Yeah, I know it's a joke, Joyce, but in one's dealings with the coppers and insurers, the most restrictive interpretation they can find is what applies. Also, the compliance certificate issued to the manufacturer for the Compliance Plate is less than a page long ...

A cautionary tale follows ...

A long time ago, I fought a case about running a red light (I didn't - I ran a yellow light, and the Magistrate agreed that it was the safest thing to do in the circumstances). The Magistrate (God bless his soul; at least after he has died, and may that be a long time coming ... ) found that the offence was proven (not a sentence that was open to him at Law, as we are not in Scotland ... ); that no points be deducted; that no fine was payable; that no costs were payable; and that no conviction be recorded. I have a court document that states all of the above.

About five years later, the coppers brought this up as a prior conviction ... Speaks for itself, really.

The original story is a lot longer and more convoluted than this, including that the Officer in Charge of the Traffic Camera Office lied to the Police Minister, in writing ...
I said to the Magistrate "The best possible interpretation that can be put on Snr Sgt Ritchie's letter to the Police Minister is that he has 'inadvertently misled a Minister of the Crown, Your Worship, but I can think of other words to describe his actions'. So can I Mr ******." said His Worship!
Nearest I have ever come to having a member of the Judiciary call a copper an out and out liar ...

Snr Sgt Ritchie has since been awarded an Order of Australia ...
That also speaks for itself, IMNSHO!
Unread 29th January 2013, 11:30 PM
Forum Member

thunder039 is on a distinguished road

yep its a total joke no one knows whats going on!
i spoke to subaru the guy said while the car is stamped MC he would not risk it with increasing the tyre size above 15mm as he said if something were to go wrong, it could go either way... he then also said that it is very confusing and said that every person you speak too will likely tell you something different
Unread 30th January 2013, 07:20 AM
Forum Member

taza is on a distinguished road

It's all a load of rubbish. Hence why I don't give a **** There's so many rules and regulations in the country that you practically can't do anything anymore!
Unread 13th May 2013, 04:01 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1999
Model: Forester
Transmission: 5MT
Dedman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by taza View Post
It's all a load of rubbish. Hence why I don't give a **** There's so many rules and regulations in the country that you practically can't do anything anymore!
Exactly!! Sick of Australia being such a nanny state
Unread 13th May 2013, 05:29 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedmanWalking View Post
Exactly!! Sick of Australia being such a nanny state
I do believe in regulation...there are way too many idiots out there who are quite happy to risk their own lives PLUS ours with their stupidity so we need regulation to keep them & us safe. But there needs to be a balance & sometimes that balance is so far off its not funny! Speed cameras are a good point...not a safety device just a source of revenue
Unread 13th May 2013, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Gidday NL

You're right, there is a balance, and it's sometimes hard to find - so I have some sympathy for the law makers there.

However, it's also flaming difficult to wean them off that most addictive of drugs - MONEY ...

Reminds me of the registration of motor boat drivers in SA - a very necessary thing.
Started off that there would be a once off charge of $5 (back in the 1970s ... ) to cover the cost of issuance.
Then it became an annual fee ...
Then it became an indexed annual fee ...
Then it inexplicably jumped by about 10 times the indexation factor ....

Unread 13th May 2013, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Default Another aspect to lift & suspension damage

Gidday Folks

As Venom raised in another thread, the higher the lift, the greater the load in or on the vehicle, the greater the chance of bending a strut or breaking suspension parts.

I was thinking about this last night (I know, I know ... I don't need any erudite comments on my thinking prowess; or lack thereof ... ).

It occurred to me that weight in the vehicle, or more specially hanging off the back bumper area, puts greater torque on a lifted vehicle than it does on the same vehicle with no lift.

The process is the same as trying to twist something with your hands held close together, or with your hands held further apart.

It is this torque applied by the load at the apex of the triangle ("A" - over the rear bumper) acting at the points of the triangle between the top and bottom mounting of the strut ("B" and "C").

The greater the distance between the top and bottom mounting points, the greater the torque applied. Seems to me that this would be a square law relationship. That is, if the distance B->C increases by 25%, and the load remains identical, the torque applied would be 1.25^2, i.e. (5/4)x(5x4), or (5x5)/(4x4) = 25/16 = 1 9/16; a 56% increase in torque applied over the line B->C.

Perhaps someone who knows a tad more about engineering than I do (e.g. stilson ... ) could give an opinion about this idea?

Last edited by Ratbag; 13th May 2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: fix spelling error ... DOH!
Unread 13th May 2013, 08:22 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbag View Post
The process is the same as trying to twist something with your hands held close together, or with your hands held further apart.
Thats the problem with lift blocks, they exaggerate the forces applied to them. A few members have had trouble with their trailing blocks cos of this. Thats why I tied my trailing arm/moustache bar blocks together, also my front control arm blocks. Now I wont have a "twisting" force on them as they rock back & forth, just a "shear" force. Thats the idea anyway...

Tags
adr, australian design rules, maximum lift, modifications, tyre sizes, wheel diameter