Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Tyres/Tires and Wheels

Notices

Unread 22nd November 2013, 04:49 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokebelch View Post
That's cool NachaLuva. I wasn't really traumatised just stunned for a few minutes!
Yeah sorry mate

Quote:
40psi as recommended by the Subaru dealer that I got it from. Their reasoning was getting maximum mileage plus better fuel consumption out of them.
Be careful you're not wearing the centre of the tyre. There used to be a discussion on tyre pressures, most here run 36PSI. Rule of thumb is if both outsides of the tyres are wearing faster, the pressure is too low. If its the centre, the pressures too high. If just the outside edge, not enough negative camber, if just the inside edge, too much neg camber

You'll often see pit crews at motor races tsesting tyres temps at different points across the tyre surface...this is how they determine the correct camber for that track.

Quote:
About a year ago (tyres having done around 75000km) I managed to steer/brake around a dog that ran out in front of me in a 60km zone. The car kept perfectly composed. But to think that I should dump a perfectly good set of tyres at 60000km just in case a kid's stupid enough to run out in front of me on a wet day is stretching things just a bit!
Not suggesting that lol. Glad you managed to get around the dog...would've got your heart racing!

I guess the test will be when you get your new tyres how much extra grip they have, remembering that as tyres get older the rubber compound hardens, which reduces wear but also reduces grip. Spinning wheels on bitumen or rock also speeds up this process

Quote:
Edit. haha, I mentioned looking after my investment but I spend as much time as possible driving through salty sand!
Lol, you're lucky, we dont get much sand over here
Unread 22nd November 2013, 05:09 AM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

^ Plenty of sand around here ...

Whole lots of people playing golf on it though ...

RMGC probably wouldn't appreciate a Subie in a sand trap ...

Unread 23rd November 2013, 09:16 AM

Douglas Ferrier is on a distinguished road

hmm been a while since reading this thread.

Keep in mind - tyres save your lives and others - keep them in good condition

Rock hard tyres slide and do not grip - but will last a long time.

NachaLuva's comments (IMHO) about the cost of tyres vs the other ongoing costs is very pertinent - don't skrimp on keeping yourself and others alive, some components you can cut corners on - other parts it is very unwise to go the cheap option.

I am on my second set of Geolander AT/S - still very happy with these - first set got about 75,000 km could have gone a bit longer before hitting the wear indicators - but have no interest in risking myself or my family so got the second set, and there was a notable difference in grip even though the old ones were still "road worthy"

It is disappointing there is such a limited choice in the size on the Forester - obviously not enough demand in the sizing to prompt competition from manufacturers.
Unread 23rd November 2013, 01:53 PM

Year: 2013
Model: SH9 Forester XT
machine1 is on a distinguished road

What Tyre Brand are you on?
Cooper Discoverer AT3

What Size are they?
235/60R17

What type are they - wet/dry
All-Terrain

Are they grippy or not?
They are grippier than the stock Geosquealers but the handling is worse because of the bigger sidewalls

Are they noisy or quiet?
They hum up to 40 mph then are quiet on the highway

Are they good for offroad or just onroad use?
Off - Road!!

What Life span are you getting out of them?
Rated for 50,000 miles, I currently have 6K miles on them.

Do you like them or not really?
I will buy another set when these wear out.

Unread 23rd November 2013, 09:06 PM

taza is on a distinguished road

Well my Grandtrek AT3's I am at 32, 000km on them in just over a yes and they have almost had it. 1mm off the wear indicator.
**** scary in the wet, well below average in the dry. The compound in the tread was so soft you could move it around with your fingers when they were new.
When new they were ok inroads.
Now they roar anywhere about 60kmhr and are just generally rubbish.
I was however happy with the 225/70r15 size and the white sidewalls but at $240 a tyre they are rubbish.
Unread 23rd November 2013, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

^ That's pretty ugly, Taza!

I expect to get 55,000 to 65,000 kms out of a set of tyres, at the very least. The Yoki G95 on SWMBO's SH (225/55 17) appear to be the original tyres, and have done nearly 79,000 kms so far.

All four appear to have around 2 mm left until they hit the safety bars. They will possibly get to around 85,000-90,000 before they get the flick. The car will get a four wheel alignment check and body straightness check when the new tyres go on.

The G95s are not a bad tyre on road. Exceptional braking without any sign of break away or aquaplaning in the wet. Handling is terrific in the dry; not exceptional in the wet, but not horrible either. I have driven on far worse in my life!! Not at all noisy.

Not as quiet as the Michelin XM2 on Roo2 though. The handling isn't as good, either; specially not in the wet. The Michelins are exceptional tyres on road. The Michelins have around 5 mm tread depth to the wear bars (after 2,000+ kms). This is the same as that on the brand new Yoki G95 spare on the SH (never been on the car) and the G900 spare on Roo2, which has also never been on the car.

I will probably replace them with Bridgestone Potenza R002, as Michelin XM2 are out of the question expensive in this size! About $50 a corner more. Cheap as chips in Roo2's size - 215/60 16.

I was extremely impressed with the behaviour of the Bridgestone GR90 I put on Roo1 about 7,000 kms before I traded it in. On road wet and dry handling and braking were exceptionally good. The Police here in Victoria use these as their standard fitment. These tyres are no longer available in 225/55 17, or I would happily put them on the SH.
Unread 15th September 2014, 02:08 AM
Contributing Member

Year: MY05
Model: Forester
Transmission: XT lux manual
lefty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by idw View Post
What Tyre Brand are you on? Firestone Destination a/t's
What Size are they? 205/75/r15
What type are they - wet/dry?
AT's
Are they grippy or not? Good in wet, ok on dry roads
Are they noisy or quiet?
a little more road noise than road tiresAre they good for offroad or just onroad use? Seem pretty good on the gravel roads i've been on, nice amount of grip in some muddy spots, may as well be slicks in the clay around here.
What Life span are you getting out of them? 500km and no wear to see yet
Do you like them or not really?
they fit an sf forester stock, add a little bit of clearance so yep at this stage, will take abit of time to really know

has anyone tried these tyres on sand?
Unread 16th February 2016, 03:29 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual
Tedium is on a distinguished road
Default What tyres are you runnin on ?

What Tyre Brand are you on? Maxxis 751
What Size are they? 205x70x15
What type are they - All Terrain
Are they grippy or not? Fine on bitumen, excellent in sand, OK in mud
Are they noisy or quiet? Quiet
Are they good for offroad or just onroad use? Good for both
What Life span are you getting out of them? Changed last set at 45,000 km primarily to keep outside rolling circumference of tyres matching. I probably could have gotten another 10.000km out of them
Do you like them or not really? Very happy with them
Unread 22nd February 2016, 11:53 PM

Year: sf
Model: sf
Transmission: m
idw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
has anyone tried these tyres on sand?
Haven't had any problem in sand, but I doubt they are any better than most A/t's in sand. about 65,000km done, no punctures and should be another 10,000km rotation before looking at new ones. Treds road legal but definitely notice the lack of tred depth offroad now
Unread 23rd July 2016, 12:38 AM

Year: 1991
Model: L series
Transmission: Auto
Subytim is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Forester limited duel range

What tyre brand are you on? about to be Dueler 697 AT
What size are they? 205/70R15 (factory size)
What type are they AT
Are they grippy or not? yet to see
Are they noisy or quiet? yet to see
Are they good for offroad or just on road use? I am expecting great things from them offroad as well as being safe and grippy on road.
What life span are you getting out of them? yet to see
Do you like them or not really? I like that I was able to score them for 135 a Tyre and I have heard glowing reviews about them offroad and I have heard good reviews about them on road most complaints on road I here about them are from Triton owners.......(not sure why its Tritons but it is).......

I am booked in a week from today to have these fitted and I cant wait to play with them off road especially mud (I know they aren't and MT but I am curious to see the different coming from Kenda radial fronts and hancook rears all in HT patterns to A the same brand all around and B an all terrain pattern.