Unread 21st November 2013, 07:00 AM

Year: 2002
Model: Forester SG
Transmission: 1.447 low range 4.44 diffs
havachat is on a distinguished road

Correction 25 mm radius
Unread 21st November 2013, 07:36 AM

Smokebelch is on a distinguished road

Athos, is the MY13 the new shape or the S3?

My MY10 is fitted with 225/55s.
Unread 21st November 2013, 08:37 AM

Athos is on a distinguished road

Brand new, gen 4 (SJ). See the photos of my car over here. Some easy signs from the front are the non-round fog-light bays.
Unread 21st November 2013, 11:52 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Dont make the mistake of thinking 90,000kms fro a tyre is good...its not! It means almost surely your tread is below minimum depth plus the only way to get 60,000kms let alone 90,000kms is by having a hard compound (also deeper tread). A harder comound means less grip...no ifs, ands or buts. More mileage = less grip!!!

If you want a safe tyre, one that will grip when a kid jumps out in front of you on a wet road, then you must sacrifice mileage. If you want mileage, then you must sacrifice safety & grip.

Another way to look at it is, if you spend $900 on tyres every 3 yrs, thats only $300 per year. Rego is twice that, insurance at least twice that, fuel/running costs many times that. My point is if you want to pay $1000s per year in owning a car, then you should either put safe tyres on it for your own safety, your family's safety & for the safety of every other road user...or take taxis!

BTW, I love my Geolander AT-s. They have good grip onroad even in the wet (way better than the Bridgestone HTs I had before) & perform well offroad as well.

Last edited by NachaLuva; 21st November 2013 at 11:56 PM.
Unread 22nd November 2013, 12:34 AM

Wow you've traumatised me... I didn't realise I was meant to feel guilty for getting good Kms out of my tyres!
Unread 22nd November 2013, 02:18 AM

Davidov is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachaLuva View Post
Dont make the mistake of thinking 90,000kms fro a tyre is good...its not! It means almost surely your tread is below minimum depth plus the only way to get 60,000kms let alone 90,000kms is by having a hard compound (also deeper tread). A harder comound means less grip...no ifs, ands or buts. More mileage = less grip!!!

If you want a safe tyre, one that will grip when a kid jumps out in front of you on a wet road, then you must sacrifice mileage. If you want mileage, then you must sacrifice safety & grip.
If he got 90,000kms from his tires and was happy with how they were performing how is that not good?

It is perfectly reasonable to get high kms out of a decent performing tire. My toyo HTs are going on 40k kms and still have easily at least 50% tread left. And grip FAR better than Geolandars and a large amount of HTs for that matter wet or dry.

There is more to milage then just compound. How they are treated (driving style, maintaining correct tire pressures etc) , the roads they are driven on and even the weight of the car.
Unread 22nd November 2013, 02:57 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokebelch View Post
Wow you've traumatised me... I didn't realise I was meant to feel guilty for getting good Kms out of my tyres!
Im sorry mate, I dont mean to upset you

I dont know what its like in other states but in Melb I see cars & even worse 4X4s with bald tyres all the time...every day! There's been so many times I've lost count where I've had to take evasive action to avoid an accident, either from bad tyres or bad driving.

As tyres are the ONLY thing holding you on the road, they should be the first priority, not the last. I was just trying to put some perspective in it. They are not that expensive compared to all the other costs of owning a car. Insurance is more expensive than tyres, yet insurance wont avoid an accident or prevent killing someone while tyres will. Everyday there will be several people who are sitting at home or in the hospital, wishing they werent travelling so fast, or didnt drink, or had better tyres. Knowing that their wife or that little kid would still be alive.

We cant go back in time. Its no use wishing we'd done things differently afterwards. We need to have good tyres before something happens.

I see bad tyres no differently to drink/drug driving or hooning...its avoidable reckless behaviour

Smokebelch, this isnt aimed at you, its a reminder to everyone to perhaps rethink their priorities. Many people spend as much on fuel in 2 months as a complete set of tyres, yet the tyres arent considered till its too late....
Unread 22nd November 2013, 03:08 AM
bush bash'n ranga

eden is on a distinguished road

I just got a set of Bridgestone A/T D694 65's for $200 each at Tempe tyres. Felt great in the rain for the drive home and very quite. Time will tell tho!

2000 outback, subX bullbar + sumpguard,50mm raised strut blocks,30mm raised springs,215/65/16 rubber,uhf, dual battery system,150W spots,touchscreen navigation with oziexplorer. more to come
Unread 22nd November 2013, 03:36 AM

That's cool NachaLuva. I wasn't really traumatised just stunned for a few minutes!

Slight mistake, my tyres have done 85000km and they are Geolander G95s not G91s. I do run them at quite high pressures... 40psi as recommended by the Subaru dealer that I got it from. Their reasoning was getting maximum mileage plus better fuel consumption out of them. They aren't bald, though the fronts are on the legal limits hence why I'm looking at a set of AT-s.

About a year ago (tyres having done around 75000km) I managed to steer/brake around a dog that ran out in front of me in a 60km zone. The car kept perfectly composed. But to think that I should dump a perfectly good set of tyres at 60000km just in case a kid's stupid enough to run out in front of me on a wet day is stretching things just a bit!

I think it comes down to looking after your investment. Apart from driving enthusiastically around roundabouts I don't thrash the car. I do a lot of straight line driving... not too many corners. All the sand driving I do causes minimum wear to the tyres. I get the wheels rotated and balanced and a wheel alignment at every 6 month service. I guess that the positive (which could also be a negative if you don't like spending $1000 in one go) of having an AWD car is that the tyres wear pretty much evenly so you don't end up with two bald tyres and two legal tyres.

Edit. haha, I mentioned looking after my investment but I spend as much time as possible driving through salty sand!
Unread 22nd November 2013, 04:15 AM

Athos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokebelch View Post
to think that I should dump a perfectly good set of tyres at 60000km just in case a kid's stupid enough to run out in front of me on a wet day is stretching things just a bit!
That's not the way I read NL's comment. More that if folks only got 60,000km before having to change their tyres, especially if that was because they chose tyres with lots of grip that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.