Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Tyres/Tires and Wheels

Notices

Unread 9th October 2013, 11:54 PM
Forum Member

jarm86 is on a distinguished road

What Tyre Brand are you on? | Yokohama Geolander ATS

What Size are they? | 215/60R16
What type are they | All Terrains
Are they grippy or not? | Yes, noticed very little difference in on road ability to road tyres, probably better than the poor chinese tyres that were on the car when i bought it.

Very good grip off road, I have mainly used in sand and loose dry rocky country and gravel roads, they give a nice direct controlled feel when steering on gravel.

Are they noisy or quiet? | Quiet ish, If you've had full road tyres on at times you will notice some hum.

Are they good for offroad or just onroad use? | See above, very capable on road still and perform very well under braking ability saved me from hitting a very solid pig on a night drive.

What life span are you getting out of them? | Have had them fitted for just over 12 months now and done nearly 15,000km, tread condition is showing wear but at the current rate I expect to get another 30-40000km frmo them.

Do you like them or not really? | Very happy with them at this stage, bought them based on the recommendation of this site and others, and the fact that there is limited selection of genuine A/T tyres in the 215/60/16 range. Will look to go up in sizing when the car is worth nothing in a few years and insurance is not such as issue.
Unread 21st October 2013, 01:03 AM
Forum Member

waggaclint is on a distinguished road

What Tyre Brand are you on? Falken WildPeak AT

What Size are they? 215/70R16

What type are they - wet/dry? All Terrain

Are they grippy or not? Overall they are pretty good but can understeer if pushed hard on wet roads, off road grip is great.

Are they noisy or quiet? Fairly quiet but a slight increase over the stock HT tyres.

Are they good for offroad or just onroad use? Overall usage for off-road has been great and for loose dirt roads and wet dirt roads etc ive found to be very good and the On-road performance is ok but IMO they do squirm around a bit when loaded up, but overall a better tyre than the stock Bridgestones.

What Life span are you getting out of them? Ive only done 6000km on them but they are still in as new condition.

Do you like them or not really? Yes overall im very happy with them as they offer a great compromise between On & Off Road Performance and they are also well priced.

Last edited by waggaclint; 21st October 2013 at 01:08 AM.
Unread 20th November 2013, 07:00 PM
Forum Member

Athos is on a distinguished road

What tyre brand are you on? Yokohama Geolandar G91
What size are they? 225/60R17
What type are they HT
Are they grippy or not? Seem fine.
Are they noisy or quiet? Seem quiet.
Are they good for offroad or just onroad use? So far only used them on highways, urban, and dirt tracks. No complaints with any of that.
What life span are you getting out of them? No idea. Delivered by Subaru on new car. Only 2000+ kms so far.
Do you like them or not really? I think I do. Might switch to Geolandar ATS in the same size (or 225/65R17) when they wear out, but we'll see.
Unread 20th November 2013, 08:28 PM
Forum Member

Sigmund is on a distinguished road

Just a heads-up about the G91: that's fitted new to Subies and is good to cut your teeth on but don't expect decent life out of them. OEM fitment tyres are often not as good as the same model bought aftermarket.

Re the Geo AT/S, I've just done a winter with them on my Foz, driving up to Falls Ck about 3 times a week and reckon they're pretty good in the snow. Not on par with a dedicated snow tyre but I can't afford 3 sets of wheels.
Unread 21st November 2013, 12:00 AM
Forum Member

Smokebelch is on a distinguished road

I've got 90000km out of my G91s. They're just about due replacing. These are the original tyres on my 2009 forester. The car gets driven "enthusiastically" on the roads and at least monthly hits the mud and sand. I'm well happy with how well they've lasted.

Athos, I'm also looking at the ATS. I'm not sure what the law is in Victoria but make sure you don't go out side the tyre size increase allowance (there is a thread on here somewhere about the geolanders) I'm running 225 55 17s and going to the 225 65 17s makes my car illegal so I'm going to have to get reduced width 215 65 17s
Unread 21st November 2013, 01:12 AM
Forum Member

Sigmund is on a distinguished road

The law in Vic is that you can't go over the placarded tyre by more than 15mm in diameter.

Someone here has posted that acc to ADR or somesuch if the Foz is classed as a 4WD you can. Whatever.

My 2nd set of wheels are reserved for outback and to cope with gibbers, sand and corrugations I've fitted the only light truck AT tyres I could find that were close to legal and they're 7mm over in diameter. I'll take the risk with insurance as LT are essential out there given you have to lower pressures when the rough gets going.

Smokebelch, you got good mileage out of your G91s. My point remains that OEM quality varies and peeps in the industry will confirm that.
Unread 21st November 2013, 03:18 AM
Forum Member

Smokebelch is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure that in Qld you can't go more than 10mm unless it's on a 4wd... and the Forester isn't in that category.

I think I've been lucky. The original brake pads still have plenty of lining left too.
Unread 21st November 2013, 06:10 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2002
Model: Forester SG
Transmission: 1.447 low range 4.44 diffs
havachat is on a distinguished road

That was probably me. On the vehicle compliance plate the Forester is classified MC. On the VicRoads website vehicles classified MC can be raised a total of 75mm. 50mm in suspension changes and 25mm in increased tyre diameter. I am pretty sure this also mirrors the ADRs.
Unread 21st November 2013, 06:41 AM
Forum Member

Athos is on a distinguished road

I did find that the G900s on my first Forester didn't wear very well, so don't have particularly high hopes for the factory-fitted tyres.

FWIW, going from 225/60 to 225/65 adds 11.25mm to the radius. Anyway, I won't be making that decision for a while.
Unread 21st November 2013, 06:43 AM
Forum Member

stilson is on a distinguished road

50mm lift and 25 diameter increase would be 62.5mm total lift