OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Offroad and Touring Central > Trailers and Vans

Notices

Unread 7th July 2010, 01:27 AM
Forum Member

guzzla is on a distinguished road

First time I have ever read this thread.
I bought a Podtrailer last August after years of tenting and stuffing things into the car and after 35,000km of towing in the last year I know I made the right choice for me. I chose the Podtrailer in the end because it offered top quality and durability with intelligent, useable design and light weight. I got the extended chassis with eye-to-eye 5 leaf springs, 14" wheels, kitchen, annex (only used once), 60L water tank, extra plastic storage box on front with spare then under the trailer (never have had to use but I can get it up and down on my own), kayak bars on top, LED lights, gas holder on side rear, 2 20L fuel container mounts on the sides and Trigg swivel hitch. Cost $12200 delivered and there is nothing I would change to the specs if I was doing it again. I'm happy to use an esky with ice and I have a 12 volt, 12 amp deepcycle battery for lighting that I charge from the outlet in the back of the Foz. I have never had to use it for more than 3 nights without charging but it has never gone flat. The trailer only weighs 350kg loaded with another 100kg for water/fuel. The Foz XT hauls it with ease - at least as quick as our V6 Camry moves with no load at all. It has also proved to be dust tight and trouble free - have just got back from doing the Gibb River & Tunnel Creek Roads in the Kimberleys - 650km of corrugations, stones and dust. I didn't get the mesh stone protector and have found because of the shape of the plastic storage unit on the front and the shape of the plastic tub that stones don't get deflected back onto the car. It is just incredibly stable to tow - has been up to 170km/h - and I don't even have to touch the 12ft kayak I put on top when the pod is opened to put up the tent part. When the pod is closed there is plenty of room on top of the folded tent to put our fold-up table, chairs etc and there is also extra room in the tub next to the slide out kitchen and slide out storage box that sits next to it. The podtrailer web site needs to be upgraded and does not show the latest type of tent (no ropes/pegs needed unless using the annex although i do peg the bottom 4 corners if it is a bit windy) or kitchen unit with different mounting of tap and aluminium swing down doors that cover the drawers and are held in place by magnets. It has easy connections to the water tank and gas bottle. We have room to spare and only use the car to carry the esky and an extra spare tyre in the back of the Foz.

My wife and I know we got the best towing option to suit our needs for the money. Kevin's throwaway line about it being just recycleable plastic bottles is only part of the story but the real shock/horror is I believe a bloody Kiwi designed it.....lol

Last edited by guzzla; 30th March 2011 at 07:14 AM.
Unread 21st July 2010, 10:18 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Barry is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the post Guzzla. The Pod is a very well thought out design design. Would be good to see some pics.
BTW, have you come across myswag.org - a great camper trailer site and very friendly, much like OBS.
Would be great to see another Subi over there. There are a few of us who aren't into big trucks and 1 tonne+ campers.
Unread 21st July 2010, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

"but the real shock/horror is I believe a bloody Kiwi designed it.....lol"

Ahhh, now I understand, they were trying to build a boat to get to Australia!
Unread 22nd July 2010, 02:44 AM
Forum Member

guzzla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Thanks for the post Guzzla. Would be good to see some pics.
BTW, have you come across myswag.org - a great camper trailer site and very friendly, much like OBS.
Would be great to see another Subi over there. There are a few of us who aren't into big trucks and 1 tonne+ campers.
Thanks Barry. No but I have seen it now and have joined up. Looks like it offers lots of useful info. As far as photos - I do have some but I'm pretty useless with the computer and never seem to be able to get anything posted up. Must get the help of my computer literate brothers and do something about it. I have pics of my Pod and Foz in places all across Aust.

No, I'm definately not into big 4WD's but appreciate they have their place in travel and I won't modify unless necessary. I do a big distance in my Foz and enjoy its on road higher performance side too and am thankful some of those characteristics make it such a suitable tow vehicle for lightweight trailers like I own.

One of the things I always say about having a camper trailer is you don't have to stay in it if the weather becomes too unbearable and there is a cheap/convenient motel/cabin available but I've only ever taken that option once. Who could pass up a $60 motel room when it is 8pm and pouring rain and you still can't find a suitable campsite?
Unread 8th February 2011, 02:10 AM
Forum Member

my04tone is on a distinguished road

May as well bring this thread to life with my latest purchase, its an old Jayswan tare 750k and in immaculate condition. Itsa project of love that will take awhile including a whole new paint job, draw bar extensions etc etc. Having said that its good to go as is.

I was speaking to a person the other week who was towing a new Jayco Eagle (200kg heavier) with a 2000 N/A Fozza and he said with the WDH and not loading the thing up with junk he had no trouble touring it, so that lead me to my decision to purchase the one i did for very little $$ in immaculate condition that will well do me for years of travel to come. It will see some outback roads and tracks but not serious offroad.

I still have my tents etc if need be, but i can find a spot set up in 15 and enjoy a coldy in comfort.

The Foz will only be around probably another 2 yrs and then i am going for a twin cab diesel ute, i really miss my old one.

Last edited by my04tone; 8th February 2011 at 02:13 AM.
Unread 8th February 2011, 02:33 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Barry is on a distinguished road

Tony, I'm looking forward to an ORS 'camping catch-up' when you have this up and running. Maybe early next summer? Perhaps a 'cup weekend' trip? Anyone else up for it? Note: camper trailer not compulsory.
Unread 8th February 2011, 02:45 AM
Forum Member

Hope to be doing some shakedowns about September or so mate, even before. I actually only need the tow bar and the WDH on the Foz and good to go.

Tassie is going to suck up a bit of cash so i will need to recover from that and the purchase of the camper i didnt intend making before i even start the next stage, thats changing from 13" solid to 14" Sunraysier rims and some 8ply LT tyres.
Unread 29th March 2011, 04:33 AM
Forum Member

Back from my Tassie trip and have started to do some work on the Goose sorry Swan. At the moment i am stripping out all the old seals and sealer and re-doing the lot. I have a few parts gathering here at the moment and some ideas on the table re suspension for the camper. The gas axe will be out in the next few weeks and after the smoke clears she should have a new hub to hub electric brake setup 6 leaf springs and be alot higher off the ground.

he Foz is going to need a stiffer set of rear springs but i will worry about that after i get the new heay duty tow bar and the WDHitch setup.

Followed a Foz the same as mine in Tassie for awhile and he was towing a new Swan Outback and was doing it easy. I asked him about any problems and he said he needed Lo range on a take off up in the hills out of Queenstown and i can understand why.

Al lin all am looking forward to this old goose and the Foz getting out and about.
Unread 29th March 2011, 05:48 AM
Administrator

carljwnc is on a distinguished road

Welcome back Tony!!!
Unread 29th March 2011, 05:52 AM
Administrator and Founders' Friend

Year: MY05
Model: Forry XT
Transmission: manual
mr turbo is on a distinguished road

Welcome home mate. Would love to hear about you adventures in Tassy when you get a chance.

Regards
Mr Turbo