Unread 11th April 2018, 09:27 PM

Year: 2007
Model: Forester
Transmission: DR 5MT
SquiresSquire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalman View Post
Dont believe they law in any countries.
They are a ADR requirement in Australia, unless the body or other part of the car fills the requirement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/files/4204.pdf
14.2.5 Notwithstanding the requirements specified above the wheel guard including a mudflap (if fitted) need not be less than 230 mm from the ground for other than off-road vehicles, or 300 mm in the case of vehicles designed for off-road operation.
Unread 30th June 2018, 10:20 AM

Year: 98
Transmission: Manual 5 speed
1WD Foz is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,

First of all Sorry I havent been on here for some time, Some family situations put the forester's progress on hold.

Unfortunetly ive come across what I think is(and a few of my friends) a major issue that I think could quite be the end of my forester all together.

first of all..... whats actually happened:

As I was driving out my drivway on the way to work the car stalled at low revs going up a hill.
When I tried to start it again it wouldnt so I gave it a minute and gave it some gas and it kicked over but spluttered a little, then was fine.
I do remember hearing what sounded like the starter motor "freespining" for a few seconds after the engine started and I thought that was odd.
I then drove the car 110km to work with no problems.
I was driving home from work after nightshift,
I'd already driven about 50km on the freeway when I turned off the highway onto a side road I take.... and got up to speed (80k's).
I drove for about 500m and then all the cars engine lights on the dash came on and the car died at the same time.
I tried to jump start it with the momentum I had but it just died again.
I pulled over, tried to start it after a short wait and inspection(At this point I find an oil breather hose had blown off the airbox) but it just sounded like the starter motor wasnt engaging or " freespining".... the same noise it made before work.
I called a mate who came out and towed me home.

When we got home we took the starter motor out and it seemed crap so called around and got a second hand one locally, and had them test my old one to which they said it was shot.
So I came home with the starter motor thinking that was the solution..........nope car still makes that weird sound, and wont turn over.

We looked inside the airbox and found a small amount of oil had been dumped in there and then when I took a plug out to check, it had a little oil on it also, and would not spark when tested.
we tested to see if it would spark with a clean new sparkplug and it does still have spark.

Most of my friends are saying the engines gone and that I should look for a replacment or part it out
one of my mates said I should replace all the spark plugs and see if it starts with clean plugs which is something I havent tried yet as I wanted to ask around and see what people think my options are.

So far the options put to me if correct are

A) Part out car as is - buy another car
B) Replace engine and sell car - buy anther car
C) Replace engine with best i can find, service engine prior to install, to ensure a long living forester for me to use
D) Repair current engine

Any help would be Greatly appreciated

1WD
Unread 30th June 2018, 10:54 AM

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

My 2 cents..

Parting it out would probably take a long time with not enough return - unless time is not a problem and storage is plentiful.

Replacing the engine and then selling it just seems silly, unless you can do all the work youself and the engine is very cheap.

I suggest if you have the time and tools to pull the engine out, it would be worth figuring out whether it's worth repairing, compared to getting a decent engine and popping it in.

To me, it all comes down to time. If you've got enough time to part it out, then you've got enough time to get it going again!

It also depends on how much of a Subaru nut you are.

Not much help I know.
Unread 30th June 2018, 11:01 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

shame to hear that man . so old plugs wasnt working but new plug gave spark ? did you tried put new spark plugs and test. some say PCV valve could be responsible for the oil in the air box. check that. when i changed plugs some of them where oily thats because valve cover gasket leaks not that outside one but those that seal spark holes.
just check simple things yet and see where all is going on.
and if replace engine or part of it then why sell car ? it will be good to go . if thats engine problem there is . need to make sure of that first. engine can stal from different problems not even related to engine itself so its not yet clear whats going on there.
check all cables main battery cables and spark cables
Unread 30th June 2018, 12:06 PM

Year: 98
Transmission: Manual 5 speed
1WD Foz is on a distinguished road
Default 1WD Foz's

Hey guys thanks for your help
Ben up north- Time is definitely a factor as I canít be without a car for very long

Iím hoping itís not as bad as I think it is cause I love my foz
Just worried about reliability in remote locations if I was to get her going again

Scalman- thanks man
Yes New plugs give spark
But I would need to replace them all.
I didnít know about the Pcv valve so will have a closer look at that and pray your right lol
When I say the spark plugs have oil on them I mean only the tip that sits in the combustion chamber, Iíve had the rocker cover spark plug gaskets die on A Honda I had previously and it basically had oil on everything but the tip, this is the opposite.
I really hope I can sort this out and itís not something as bad as Iíve been told

1WD
Unread 30th June 2018, 01:55 PM

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

I can't help from here but it sounds like a "little" problem. I would try to find out...courage !
Unread 30th June 2018, 06:39 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

oil on spark plugs is nothing serious. my one plug was like all in oil when i removed it . it was just that gasket problem. try to change all plugs and see do those plug cables are good not damaged.
Unread 30th June 2018, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Did it throw any codes? How many Ks on the motor? Any recent work?

I did a search over at SF.ORG and found this as a possibility: https://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...solved-675194/

Perhaps a google search over there will yield better results.
Unread 30th June 2018, 08:33 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Outback. JDM TT conversion
Transmission: 5MT DR
duncanm is on a distinguished road

sounds like two unrelated issues.

1/ starter was toast. Why? If the new one spins, maybe the flywheel has lost teeth or something went clunk in the bellhousing. Are the solenoid and starter relay ok? Maybe it was getting stuck 'on' which burnt out the starter, caused your electrical fault, and causes the new one to keep spinning after start.

2/ oil in airbox and blown-off oil-breather sounds like PCV valve may be clogged up, causing excessive pressure in sump and rocker covers. Oil going into the intake will cause oily plugs. Don't worry about new plugs (but copper are only $4 ea!), just pull them and clean them all up nicely with a toothbrush and emery paper if they need it. Re-gap them while you're there. Pull the PCV valve and do the same - its a very simple contraption with an internal plunger, and just needs a good flush and make sure it rattles nicely when you shake it.
Unread 30th June 2018, 08:35 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Outback. JDM TT conversion
Transmission: 5MT DR
duncanm is on a distinguished road

oh - when you say 'oil on plug' - was it at the spark gap, or the external connection where the wire boot goes?

External oil is a common issue - its just the rocker-cover O-rings leaking a bit. Clean it up and don't worry.