OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Mods, Insurance, Local Compliance & you

Notices

Unread 14th November 2012, 05:20 AM
Forum Member

Biesel is on a distinguished road
Default Maximum legal lift and tyre/wheel sizes in Oz

Just check your states laws Qld just raise the legal tyre size increase limit to 50mm from 15mm. WA is normally even more laxed.... The National plicy is 50mm but whether the state follows that is up to them. QLD just came in line with the national policy hopefully NSW will soon as well. WA being WA i'm sure the limit is a 300mm increase .
Unread 14th November 2012, 05:34 AM
Forum Member

thunder039 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biesel View Post
Just check your states laws Qld just raise the legal tyre size increase limit to 50mm from 15mm. WA is normally even more laxed.... The National plicy is 50mm but whether the state follows that is up to them. QLD just came in line with the national policy hopefully NSW will soon as well. WA being WA i'm sure the limit is a 300mm increase .
i believe VIC just changed to the 50mm policy earlier this week i soar a post by a aussie 4wd on facebook about the change gonna get me some real rubber now
Unread 14th November 2012, 04:33 PM
Forum Member

Biesel is on a distinguished road

So what for example makes a subaru a passenger car but a prado an off road vehicle?
Unread 14th November 2012, 06:45 PM
Forum Member

stilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biesel View Post
So what for example makes a subaru a passenger car but a prado an off road vehicle?
My guess is a chassis seperate to the body.
Unread 14th November 2012, 05:05 PM
Forum Member

Hunter is on a distinguished road

NSW was the only state that will allow you to go larger provided you have an engineering certificate. I researched it for ages and talked to vicroads the act rta and nsw rta. I was quoted around $650 for the eng cert. in the end it was better to just for standard geos and leave my car registered where it was
Unread 14th November 2012, 06:33 PM
Forum Member

i also want to note that the document you put up ratbag is from 2011 so is it possible the rules have changed?
Unread 14th November 2012, 08:26 PM
Forum Member

taza is on a distinguished road

^ Exactly Stilson.

We can't choose this, it is chosen for us. I think there is even something on the complainant/vin plate that specifies what class the vehicle is in.. I'm not 100% sure on this though. We are definitely passenger vehicles which I am sure of.

Personally if you want to lift your car and keep it legal. 2" lift with slightly bigger tyres would be fine in my opinion, in any state. It wouldn't look out of the ordinary and 99% of cops wouldn't even know it has been lifted! Hell I go past cops or drive next to them on the freeway, I'm usually looking down at them in their Commodores and they just wave or smile at me
Unread 14th November 2012, 08:42 PM
Forum Member

sjm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by taza View Post
Hell I go past cops or drive next to them on the freeway, I'm usually looking down at them in their Commodores and they just wave or smile at me
It's not uncommon to see Vic police in Foresters, particularly in rural areas. Marked ones are used as general duty vehicles, plus there is also a fleet of unmarked ones in the city.

Unread 14th November 2012, 08:36 PM
Forum Member

i have been looking into it. it appears that the ratbag is correct. 15mm is the legal limit (in vic) for soft roaders. the change that i mentioned for the increase to 50mm was for 4wd vehicles only
Unread 14th November 2012, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Gidday Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder039 View Post
i have been looking into it. it appears that the ratbag is correct. 15mm is the legal limit (in vic) for soft roaders. the change that i mentioned for the increase to 50mm was for 4wd vehicles only
Vehicles that are "truck" derivatives have different ADRs applying to them all the way down the line AFAICS.

They are also not required to have all the safety features that are a characteristic of modern, passenger based vehicles. Different roll over angles being one biggie, but there are many others.

This essentially means that these vehicles might "win" in a contest of sheer mass, but they are nowhere near as safe at a population statistical level. Nor generally as comfortable to ride in or drive. Far less stable, worse handling (a LOT worse handling ... ), nothing like the stability under heavy braking, etc, etc. Both primary and secondary safety are very much worse than most passenger based vehicles.

Effectively, the finesse of design that characterises almost all modern passenger vehicles is lacking in many or all respects.

This makes it far easier to upset the balance of passenger based vehicles, and very hard to muck up something that basically doesn't exist anyway in truck derived vehicles. This is the factor in real life that the differing laws applying to each class recognises.

Tags
adr, australian design rules, maximum lift, modifications, tyre sizes, wheel diameter