• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Skid Plate

You belted it and it didn't shatter? That is interesting. As far as I know the trick with Al casting it to slow cool them. If they form bigger crystals and/or if they have a higher copper content, they tend to bend rather than break immediately. Adding scandium also works brilliantly, but getting a copper/scandium doped cast aluminium might be a little hopeful I fear.
I have just discovered a fibre that has been around for a while called innegra that I didn't know about. Very light and VERY tough in composites. I was looking for a kevlar supplier to make skid plated for the transmission and diffs when I found it. If I can find a supplier for both I think I will have a go at using them to make the aforementioned. If that works I will try a engine bash plate. Innegra is way cheaper than kevlar and carbon.

Who has one of these fitted to their Forester? and how much ground clearance did you loose?

Mate fitted my xtreme one up on a 07 for forester. At front flat bolt up part was about 330mm to ground at lowest base of it was about 230mm .

Also note doing this on a non level driveway so results could vary.

Hope that helps.

I have just discovered a fibre that has been around for a while called innegra that I didn't know about. Very light and VERY tough in composites. I was looking for a kevlar supplier to make skid plated for the transmission and diffs when I found it. If I can find a supplier for both I think I will have a go at using them to make the aforementioned. If that works I will try a engine bash plate. Innegra is way cheaper than kevlar and carbon.

Hi gregjet, did you have any joy with the Innegra?
Cheers,
Ben

Hi dear friends!
what do you think about this skid plate?
sump-guard.co.uk
Is one option on EU...:unsure:

Thank you ;)

Thanks @jf1sf5 !
I've contacted on the past SubGarage but i don't have received any reply...i'm going to try...have you had experience with this company?

Well, yes, because I see him every year on trips in France but I have never bought anything from him. Try again, maybe by phone !

Is it too much for a skid plate?3mm of width...
At a guess, my 6mm width pressed aluminium one weighs about 6-8Kg..

Weight means everything in a Subaru. :)

A SubaXteme cast version is 10kg; 20kg is a bit heavy but I'd prefer the steel.

A SubaXteme cast version is 10kg

👃 ? ;)

Weight8 kg
Dimensions100 × 78 × 10 cm

Forester '03-'05 - Sump guard - SubaXtreme

I'm guessing this is pressed, as opposed to cast.
I'm not a huge fan of casting, if it's good it's good, but if it's bad it's worse than nothing at all. I've seen too many sh*tty casts (full of bubbles)
A friend of mine back in the day was riding his MotoGuzzi. Went over a bit of a bump, got a bit of air, front forks collapsed on reconnection with the ground, spent a year in hospital... Analysis showed the cast shocks were full of bubbles. Sued MotoGuzzi for s-loads and won. He'd rather not have had the money. On a positive note, he did manage to walk and even ride a bike again.

Last edited:
@Ben Up North I actually weighed it as it is not fitted to the car; unrepaired cracks as very prone to damage! I have a home made skidplate on and may never reinstall the SXT version. Yes I believe their current version is pressed.

Back