• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Fumoto oil valve

Barry

Forum Member
Is anyone using a Fumoto oil valve (presumably the nipple version would be required) to change oil without removing the sump guard?

If so is this a success?

Barry

I use the non-nipple version - works well. I have to take the sump guard off to change oil.

Being 'time poor' am currently haveing my OB serviced by a mechanic. Not sure I want to pay for labour to remove and re-fit every 7 weeks.

If I fit the nipple version I will probably do alternate services myself - ie when the oil filter isn't being changed.

Speaking of which, does the sump guard need to come off to replace the filter?

I'm not sure that the nipple version would clear the sump guard on my Foz. Have to remove the guard on the Foz to get the oil filter.

Do you have the stock plastic or aftermarket sump guard?
It's very easy with a aftermarket sumpguard as it's just 4 bolts

Do you have the stock plastic or aftermarket sump guard?
It's very easy with a aftermarket sumpguard as it's just 4 bolts

Had the Subaxtreme guard fitted in Goulburn about 6 weeks ago. Has already saved my 'belly' - I mean head - on one nasty rock crossing on the road into the Dig Tree on Coopers Creek! :)

then whether nippled or not you will need to remove the sumpguard to change the oil & filter. I change the oil on my XT without needing to jack up the car, one advantage of being skinny!

I have the non-nipple fitted and have to remove the alloy sump to access it. I had my car with the mechanic for a major service last week and the guy was amazed: he'd never seen one.

You bottomed out in a Forester going to the Dig Tree? Wow, something must have happened to that track. In 97 I made it- slowly- in my lowered Falcon- fitted with sump guard. I hit quite a number of small rocks with the sump guard, but at that time a Forester would have made it through easily.

Had the Subaxtreme guard fitted in Goulburn about 6 weeks ago. Has already saved my 'belly' - I mean head - on one nasty rock crossing on the road into the Dig Tree on Coopers Creek! :)

Was in my standard OB, not a Forry. Late afternoon, trying to make up time, forgot 'rule 1' - every smooth stretch ends in a bumpy bit! :biggrin:
The front end was light - due to the back being packed to the roof. :lildevil:
Probably didn't slow down quite enough as I entered, and I think a 'smallish' rock thumped the LHS of the sump guard. Hit on the leading edge of one of the vents and cracked it. I will have it 'welded' when I get around to it.
As such not a 'belly out', but would've been bad news for the head, if not for the guard, so money well spent.

[If that wasn't where it happened then it might've been later in the day on the S.A. side of the border, where I managed to drift off the side of the road, due to wheel ruts, light steering and - successfully - prioritising not taking out the only roadside pole for 20km in the process!]

I can't see the point of these valves as my sump plug contains a severely powerful magnet that must be cleaned off every oil change, meaning the plug must be removed. I thought these were racing valves for quick oil changes during time trials?

Back