Transmission
5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Gidday Folks

I just sprung for one.

Just bought the metal handled set here:
https://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=220932617092

$44, including P&H.

There are a few sets left.

These appear to have a relatively large grip on both tools, important when applying so much force ...

I will give an opinion on their build quality when I have them to hand ...

So caveat emptor until then :iconwink:!

Gidday Taza

Yeah that looks real good Ratbag. I only have a cheap Supercheap set which is pretty average to use, but I guess it gets the job done.

I had a gander at the SCA ones last Sunday. Didn't impress me, AND weren't all that cheap.

Also took Mr T's warning to heart about the possibility of the plastic-handled ones breaking. If I get any kind of serious wound, it's a trip to hospital because of the Warfarin. The bleeding just won't stop ... I really cannot take that risk.

With my health problems, it pays to be as careful as possible, without getting hung up about things ... :cool:.

I had a gander at the SCA ones last Sunday. Didn't impress me, AND weren't all that cheap.

Also took Mr T's warning to heart about the possibility of the plastic-handled ones breaking. If I get any kind of serious wound, it's a trip to hospital because of the Warfarin. The bleeding just won't stop ... I really cannot take that risk.

With my health problems, it pays to be as careful as possible, without getting hung up about things ... :cool:.

Fair enough, I just wonder how long the plastic handles can hold on wihtout braking with the cheapies. Ive used mine 3x now and massive amounts of force has been put on them. The last thing anyone wants is a metal rod through their hands.

G'day again Taza

Fair enough, I just wonder how long the plastic handles can hold on wihtout braking with the cheapies. Ive used mine 3x now and massive amounts of force has been put on them.

IME&O, cheap tools aren't worth the good money you pay for them.
You can rely on the fact that they will break at the worst possible moment ...

In about 1973 I paid about $150 for a Warren & Brown aircraft tension wrench. It "paid" for itself in a couple of weeks. I still have it. It is still in perfect condition. Last time I checked the price (a long time ago ... ), this item cost just under $1,000!

Ditto my collection of Sidchrome metric, AF and SAE spanners (box, ring and sockets). In about 2000, I took an extension bar back to REPCO because the spring-loaded socket holding ball spring had broken (happened a few months after I bought it in the late 1960s ... ). They replaced it free of charge, as Sidchrome stuff had a lifetime guarantee at the time I bought it ...

The last thing anyone wants is a metal rod through their hands.

Quite.
Being bitten through the finger by a badly handled mud crab is bad enough ...
It tasted good later though. It paid a far higher price than I did ... :lildevil:

It tasted good later though. It paid a far higher price than I did ... :lildevil:

Hahaha hehehe Revenge is best served cold. Or in this case hot with a mild dipping sauce! :rotfl:

Just bought the metal handled set here:
https://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=220932617092

$44, including P&H.

How good are these repairs? Can they be considered permanent or are they just to get you home or to a tyre repair place?

How good are these repairs? Can they be considered permanent or are they just to get you home or to a tyre repair place?

I have 3 punctures in one of my geolander tyres, all from nails and have repaired them like this each time.
One repair has been there for over 15,000km on the tyre and still going strong.

Gidday NL

Personally, I would be inclined to get a tyre place to put a tube into the tyre as soon as I could.

Back in the old days, tyre shops would use a pyramid-headed plug to repair tubeless tyres (without fitting a tube). That practice got banned a long time ago ... And still is, AFAIK.

IME&O, cheap tools aren't worth the good money you pay for them.
You can rely on the fact that they will break at the worst possible moment ...

In about 1973 I paid about $150 for a Warren & Brown aircraft tension wrench. It "paid" for itself in a couple of weeks. I still have it. It is still in perfect condition. Last time I checked the price (a long time ago ... ), this item cost just under $1,000!

Ditto my collection of Sidchrome metric, AF and SAE spanners (box, ring and sockets). In about 2000, I took an extension bar back to REPCO because the spring-loaded socket holding ball spring had broken (happened a few months after I bought it in the late 1960s ... ). They replaced it free of charge, as Sidchrome stuff had a lifetime guarantee at the time I bought it ...

Yeah most of my tools are good quality. I had sidchrome ratchet and socket set along with standley spanners. Had them almost a year and given them hell. They get used weekly and are great. Hope to have them for the next 50years :biggrin:

Fair enough, I just wonder how long the plastic handles can hold on wihtout braking with the cheapies. The last thing anyone wants is a metal rod through their hands.
It's a bit like asking How long is a piece of string ? :shrug:
They might last a week, or they could last a few years who knows :shrug:
When mine broke or I should say snapped, I was lucky.
While it didn't go through my hand, it did give me a large gash from my wrist right up to my elbow & it stung like I don't know what :yell:

Ouch

I've repaired a fair in my time & each & every one has out lasted the life of the tyre, provided they are done properly :iconwink:

If you ever watch how they do it at a tyre repair shop they do it the same way.

Regards
Mr Turbo

I have 3 punctures in one of my geolander tyres, all from nails and have repaired them like this each time.

Good to hear...the longevity that is not the 3 punctures :rolleyessarcastic:

When mine broke or I should say snapped, I was lucky.
While it didn't go through my hand, it did give me a large gash from my wrist right up to my elbow & it stung like I don't know what :yell:

Thats no good. many stitches? :(

I've repaired a fair in my time & each & every one has out lasted the life of the tyre, provided they are done properly :iconwink:

If you ever watch how they do it at a tyre repair shop they do it the same way.

Ok thats what I wanted to hear, I might have to get one...

Gidday NL

Personally, I would be inclined to get a tyre place to put a tube into the tyre as soon as I could.
I'd rather leave the plug in there as tubes can overheat on low pressure, no use having a fancy repair kit if you rip a valve stem off because you went down to 10lb and spun the tyre on the rim.

I've never had one fail on me.

Gidday DG

I'd rather leave the plug in there as tubes can overheat on low pressure, no use having a fancy repair kit if you rip a valve stem off because you went down to 10lb and spun the tyre on the rim.

Thanks for the tip. I don't ever expect to lower my tyre pressures below about 17~18 psi. Specially not with the current Pirelli P7s!

I've never had one fail on me.

That's good to know.

I am gradually accumulating my "tyre kit". Have a decent gauge; got the compressor this morning. I will review both when I have had a chance to use the compressor; however the compressor does look to be excellent quality, etc.

[EDIT] I have now received the deflators and the tyre repair kit. Both also appear to be excellent quality. Will post separate reviews about each item later today or tomorrow. It appears that with some thought, all will fit in a "lunch box" in the compressor carry case - more about this in my reviews. [end edit]

Last edited:
Thats no good. many stitches? :(
No stitches luckily :cool:
Just a nice long gash that wasn't too deep luckily :)

It appears that with some thought, all will fit in a "lunch box" in the compressor carry case
Now there's in idea, good thinking Ratbag :raz:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Puncture Repair Kit Heavy Duty

WAS $55 Now $19

https://www.piranhaoffroad.com.au/product/clearance/clearance

pktlehd.jpg

... I just bought two!

:biggrin:

Last edited:
Back