OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Offroad and Touring Central > GPS and Communications

Notices

Old 18th April 2015, 11:08 PM

Year: 2007
Model: Forester X
Transmission: 5MT
zippo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilko1 View Post
Rescue is free in Oz.
Depends on what you call "rescue". My #2 son fell while cliff-climbing on 31 December and suffered spinal fractures. His belaying partner called the 000 service and several hours later he was winched into the rescue chopper and transported to the nearest regional hospital.

He subsequently received two accounts, one for the chopper and one for the short ambo ride from the airport to the hospital (the hospital doesn't have a helipad).
Old 21st April 2015, 10:47 AM

subyroo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanm View Post
Not so much these days.. that was the older 121.5MHz. Simple analog distress beacon.

Newer (406MHz) beacons have in built GPS, and send coordinates plus Hex ID via satellite - they also transmit the 121.5MHz signal as a backup.
I keep on forgetting it is just on 15 years since I was in the Aviation Industry.

Old 25th April 2015, 08:38 PM

Year: 2012
Model: Outback
Transmission: Auto
Wilko1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanm View Post
Not so much these days.. that was the older 121.5MHz. Simple analog distress beacon.

Newer (406MHz) beacons have in built GPS, and send coordinates plus Hex ID via satellite - they also transmit the 121.5MHz signal as a backup.
Qantas and other commercial aircraft do monitor as I have my AMSA printout after my rescue. It notes the times I was pinging of both satellites and commercial aircraft. GME also replace your PLB for free after a rescue, so I can highly recommend GME products. Only some models have GPS eg GME410G. I suggest a GPS model as it reduces the search area from about 5 square kilometres (huge area) to about 5 metres. Also the chopper might know where you are but the crew might not be able to see you, like in my case standing in the Jamieson River wearing fishing waders. So wave like crazy and if you have bright coloured stuff or shinny stuff use it to get there attention. It is a very deflating feeling having a helo orbiting above you to just watch it fly away again. It took three goes at spotting us.

Tags
emergency, epirb, spot, tracking