• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed
Gidday Folks

This has been an epic in the making!

[EDIT]

For a distillation of the design factors that I eventually came up with for my trailer and tent, see this post and the following post.

The fitting and commissioning of my camper trailer tent is in a separate thread, here.

[end edit]

My 7x4 trailer is just over 30 years old.
The tyres are also 30 y.o. ... 165x13.
The wheels are possibly 20 years older than that; probably Holden rims, I don't know.

About 10~13 years ago, I had the ladder frame replaced with 2x1" structural box. I also had the floor and half way up the sides replaced with 16 gauge galvanised steel.

The front has been converted to a drop front.

The spare wheel holder has mostly rusted through, and needs replacement.

The wheel bearings, axle, hubs and springs are in good serviceable condition.

The trailer tows straight and true at all speeds (up to over 130 km/h).

It really needs 3x new wheels and tyres, and an urgent replacement of the spare wheel holder bar.

After that, it needs some love and affection; some minor repairs that any competent handyman with a welder can do; some elbow grease with a wire brush and sand paper, and a repaint.

Beyond me, and even if it weren't, I cannot fit 16x6.5" Subaru wheels on it without replacing the axle; hubs; mud guards - you get the drift. Cost more for me to have someone else do all this than a new, purpose-built trailer!!

I have found someone this arvo who has helped me source proper hubs to fit my Subie steel wheels. Proper clearance. No extra over 'standard' hubs for the hubs, or the axle. This was a BIG hurdle!!

So. 6x4 box trailer with 18~20" sides, and a locking lid and 16x6.5" Subie wheels.

The company can do the whole job; including water/fuel jerry can holders; tool box; side mount spare wheel; side opening steel lid; gas bottle holder - including locking brackets all over the place.

Judging from the trailers under construction on the floor, they are not into making crap! Their "basic duty" trailer makes most "heavy duty" trailers I have looked at look lightly built ...

Have had a rough guesstimate. Will get a proper quote from them next week.

To be continued - as the story unfolds ...

Last edited:
Gidday Folks

The rough quote today came in at $1,800 - without its tin lid ... Bugger!

That's quite a bit more than the "$1100 to $1200" that the bloke was talking about last week!! Same specs, BTW ...

Looks as if it is a LOT more attractive to repair my existing trailer.

I will have to check the price of a new axle and hubs.

Hi again Folks

Called at Melbourne Trailer & Caravans on the way back from the Doctor.
Lovely, helpful people there.

It seems that it is not going to cost me a small fortune to repair my old clunker, after all.

I have 3x 16x6.5" Subie rims and the tyres will come off Roo2, so those items are not included.

A very basic rebuild includes:

1) 45 mm square axle measured, and turned to size;
including hubs and bearings to suit my rims and tyres $240

2) U-bolts and fishplates for axle $19

3) Two x 12" high x 4' wide tailgates for front & rear $74

4) Fitting of the above $50~100

total around $400~500

Extras will be:
  • Two swing down stands at the back at about $70/pr.
  • Two jerry can holders at $24.20 ea.
  • Spare holder needs to be re-manufactured.
Fitting of the above items. I have a name.

I will also need to construct a removable lid from marine ply, gate hinges and probably with some kind of framing and stays.

Then it's a matter of hitting it seriously hard with a wire brush and some paint to slow down the metal moths that are still left gorging on it.

The ladder frame (2x2" outer frame; 2x1" ladder - all structural box steel)and tray (16 gauge galvanised) are in very good condition. Springs look OK, if ghastly ... . Drawbar is serviceable, but could do with some attention.

Mudguards are fine (at least 16 gauge - would take the side out of a truck ... ); and should fit the bigger wheels and tyres OK. The 16x6.5 are only about 1.5" bigger in radius but wider. Using a standard 40 mm tyre to rear clearance, they may be about 10 mm wider than the guard. Barely even noticeable ... :iconwink:.

Amazing how a quote of $1,800 for the basics can focus one's attention more closely on what one already has ... ;) :iconwink: :rotfl:.

Gidday Folks

Had the trailer measured for axles and hubs today. About ±2.5 mm leeway.

I reckon it is best if the manufacturer makes a rooster-up from their own measurements, rather than from mine!

Trailer has been delivered to the trailer doctor this morning.
Should get it back all fixed with two new gates; new axle & hubs; new A-bar; steel top and re-painted, sometime next week, if all goes well.

Of course, that means I have to get new tyres for Roo2 in the very near future. Will look at the Michelin XM2s tomorrow. They are a very long-lasting and high performance on-road tyre. Tweaksta reckons they are pretty stake-proof, and fine off-road tyres -
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/showpost.php?p=24183&postcount=28

Struth, even my current Pirellis are good enough for the off-road stuff I have any desire to do ... :iconwink:.

I have been at a client's from late morning till about 9 pm (and a couple of days at Easter ... ). At least I finally fixed the network problem. I am doggedly determined about most things.

Feel completely and utterly buggered.

Gidday CB

I did remember to take some piccies of the dear old rust bucket prior to its surgery.

It will be a bit like the woodsman's grandfather's axe:

Same axe, but with five new handles and three new heads ... :ebiggrin:.

Tyres for Roo2 have now been ordered. They go on tomorrow. The Pirellis get swapped onto the trailer rims at the same time.

I think I forgot to mention that the trailer is also having a steel, lockable lid made, with provision for ordinary roof racks to bolt my roof basket onto.

Gidday mate

Can't wait to see pics!

It will probably be some time before I can upload these. I am busy as a one-armed paper hanger ATM ...

What are you planning on hauling with the mighty tag along?

Camping gear & tent, fly, etc. Spare tyre and recovery gear. Fuel. Water. Fridge.

The standard travelling circus, ST ... ;) :lol:

Basically I want to keep the car free of all heavy, blunt objects: with the exception of the cabin trunk containing my medicines :ebiggrin:; clothing; and camera gear.

I don't mind towing trailers. I have probably done at least 20~30,000 miles towing either standard box trailers or tandem horse floats.

My old trailer tows straight and true. So well that it actually improved the handling of Roo1 at highway speeds, holding the back end straight, and following the line through corners like it was on rails behind the car.
A lot of trailers do not tow straight - they "crab". This causes them to scrub tyres, wear out wheel bearings and break axles.

I loathe and detest roof racks/baskets, primarily because of the noise, but also the change in handling of the vehicle.

The trailer can be left at my camp site locked down and also wheel-locked and tow hitch locked when I am out on a day trip. Recovery gear can be chucked into the car if likely to be needed.

Normally the tent will live in the roof basket when not set up, as not a good idea to have wet/damp things in either your car or enclosed in a trailer. They sweat, and that causes rust eventually.

I am still working out what will go where, but I needed to do something about my trailer, as it was deteriorating rather badly, and I have been worried about the strength of the A-bar for years; and paranoid about the 30 year old tyres for much longer than that ...

The trailer can be left at my camp site locked down and also wheel-locked and tow hitch locked when I am out on a day trip. Recovery gear can be chucked into the car if likely to be needed.

I'd strongly recommend keeping the recovery gear in the car all the time as it has a way of being needed much more when you don't have it.

Gidday ST

I'd strongly recommend keeping the recovery gear in the car all the time as it has a way of being needed much more when you don't have it.

Generally good advice mate. I will probably take it on occasion ...

However, most of what I do I will be by myself and doing what Barry calls 'expeditioning'. It will be very, very rare for me to push the barriers at all in these circumstances.

I plan the following sort of thing:

Pitch camp at (say) the Warrumbungles NP for a week and spend the days driving around the area and the general Pilliga Sandstone area roads; and going for walks that don't wreck me!
There are around 1,700 kms of roads and tracks in this area. If I come across something that looks as if it might be 'adventurous' or 'brave', I have no problem in admitting to cowardice and turning around and driving back the way I came ...

My reasons for trading Roo1 in on Roo2 were many and varied, but the main game is that I am far less likely to hang up the Fox with its much better ground clearance, and far less likely to damage the car or get stuck on my nose or bum with the FAR better approach and departure angles.
Apart from these things, the Impreza was certainly technologically capable of taking me anywhere that I am brave enough to venture ... :iconwink: :lol:. The Fox is just far more so because of its physical design attributes.

Gidday Folks

Had the trailer measured for axles and hubs today. About ±2.5 mm leeway.

I reckon it is best if the manufacturer makes a rooster-up from their own measurements, rather than from mine!

Fast forward one week ...

The trailer doctor started work on the trailer this morning.

They fitted the new axle and wheels this arvo ...

Guess what?

Hands up all those who guessed that the axle is around 50 mm too short ... :huh: :rolleyessarcastic: :mad: :mob:

After the rooster-up with the wheel studs, and now this - waste of my time, and also that of the nice people at the trailer doctor's.

BTW, I do realise that :ttiwop

however, it will probably be a couple of days before I can process and upload these.

Gidday All

This is the first of piccies of the trailer.

A-bar brace and spare wheel holder - just!

Melbourne-20120404-00038_Ew.jpg

Note the wonderful condition of the spare wheel rim too ... :( :o

:shake: :puke:

Ugly ...

Last edited:
Update on the axle:

Rang the company that made the axle this morning.

Guy on the phone re-worked the calcs (from the invoice ... ), and said that the axle should have been 2.5" longer at 66.5" long, not 64" long ...

He will ring the trailer doctor chap (who is a well-known client of theirs) on Monday and sort out what needs to be made to replace the one they made originally. He was singularly unimpressed with the employee/s who did the calcs wrongly in the first place. I suspect someone might be looking for another job next week.

The new axle still hasn't been delivered, but has been made, at least!

Work on the trailer proceeds apace. Starting to take shape quite well now, with new water/fuel jerry can holders behind the wheel arches, new front and rear gates, new very heavy duty draw bar (4X2" structural box, IIRC), with reinforcing angle iron from the hitch to the trailer frame. This is getting a vertical post type spare wheel holder and removable 9 Kg gas bottle holder.

The hitch is original, as are the safety chains ...

Quite a number of other parts have been 'salvaged' from the old trailer, including the rear tie-down fitting from the old tail gate.

The draw bar has never been as strong as it is now.

I have taken quite a lot of pictures, but what with having trouble uploading images to my web site, along with lots of "honest work" that has occupied me for the last few weeks, have not had much time to deal with these.

The trailer doctor has built the frame for the lid out of about 1/2" to 3/4" structural box ... It is FAR lighter than I thought it would be. at this stage, it appears that I should even be quite able to remove and refit it by myself.
It is hinged along the long side, and will have dual locks on the opening side. It will also have little tabs at strategic points that will 'lock' the front and rear gates when closed. It will also have a pair of 'legs' that act as props to hold the lid open, clamshell style; or turn right around to support the lid when it is folded right over to the other side of the trailer so that it forms a big camp table.

After they have finished it all, they will scrape off the worst of the rust, and spray the lot with hammer-tone. Should slow the metal moths down a little bit!

I have to buy and configure another couple of computers for a client; and do some major re-configuration of the OS and HDDs on a workstation over the next week, so probably won't have much time to upload any photos for a bit.

Trailer shots - Before

Trailer shots - Before ...

The hitch. Note the rotting attachment plate ...

E-30_JAK_2012-_4107432_Ew.jpg

Front gate. It even has some holes right through it!

Melbourne-20120404-00034_Ew.jpg

The brace across the A frame; also holds the spare in place - Just! One of the bolts has already fallen off completely ...

Melbourne-20120404-00038_Ew.jpg

Hitch showing rusted fixings

Melbourne-20120404-00035_Ew.jpg

Showing general condition, and "new" tray done about 15 years ago

Melbourne-20120404-00036_Ew.jpg

Overall shot

E-30_JAK_2012-_4107425_Ew.jpg

Another shot of the front gate

E-30_JAK_2012-_4107426_Ew.jpg

Rear gate ... speaks for itself!

E-30_JAK_2012-_4107428_Ew.jpg

Wheel and mudguard

E-30_JAK_2012-_4107429_Ew.jpg

The really ugly truth! The trailer is 31 years old; the tyres are 31 y.o.; the rims are God only knows how old, and seriously unsafe!

E-30_JAK_2012-_4107430_Ew.jpg

The old draw bar - UGH!
The heavy angle iron was welded on to reinforce the seriously weakened light box section draw bar when the new floor and ladder frame were done in the previous reconstruction.

E-30_JAK_2012-_4107431_Ew.jpg

These few sample shots should give an idea of some of the little problems I had with my trailer ... :lol:.

BTW, thanks for your interest, Carl.
Next tranche of photos will show the various stages of the reconstruction and re-design process.

Trailer shots - the work done so far

Gidday All

I finally seem to have my broadband issues sorted out ... Maybe ...

Anyway, here are some shots of the work in progress.

The last post of photos were taken the day it left for the trailer doctor's workshop.

Many of the alterations will be hidden under a coat of paint. I reckon it looks quite good with the mix of old and new bits, myself.

However, at least the paint will slow the rust down to a degree!

Not going anywhere with those funny looking wheels at the corners! New front gate being measured for position.

E-30_JAK_2012-_4207446_Ew.jpg

The new rear gate fitted, with tie-down bar from the old gate welded onto it. Still has those funny triangular wheels though ... :iconwink:.

A couple of the trailer wheels in the box. Old steel spare from Roo2 and one of the new rims I bought from Brett. They have the P7s from Roo2 mounted on them.

E-30_JAK_2012-_4207448_Ew.jpg

Measuring up for the new draw bar (I think ... ).

E-30_JAK_2012-_4207449_Ew.jpg

Not really very roadworthy at all, right at this moment ... :lol:

E-30_JAK_2012-_4207450_Ew.jpg

New axle with hubs fitted. Shame about it being 2.5 inches too short ...

E-30_JAK_2012-_4207451_Ew.jpg

Close up of the new hub and axle. The axle is 40 mm square, solid steel. As can be seen, the springs look very rough, but are apparently perfectly serviceable.

E-30_JAK_2012-_4207453_Ew.jpg

Jerry can holder. One each side. Welded on pretty strongly AFAICS.

E-30_JAK_2012-_4277454_Ew.jpg

E-30_JAK_2012-_4277461_Ew.jpg

New draw bar, with old coupling and safety chains.

E-30_JAK_2012-_4277459_Ew.jpg

Showing pivot hinges for lid, lid frame and jerry can holder. Note reinforcing blocks everywhere ...

E-30_JAK_2012-_4277464_Ew.jpg

New draw bar, spare wheel post and new front gate. Subi wheels fitted to "short" axle FTM.

E-30_JAK_2012-_4277466_Ew.jpg

New hinge pins for new front gate.

E-30_JAK_2012-_4277467_Ew.jpg

Welding in yet more reinforcing for the spare wheel holder.

E-30_JAK_2012-_4277468_Ew.jpg

It is progressing.

Off to buy some wheel clamps at Aldi in a minute or two.

Back