OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Offroad and Touring Central > GPS and Communications

Notices

Unread 19th April 2009, 09:39 AM
Administrator

carljwnc is on a distinguished road
Exclamation ICE (In Case of Emergency) Your Cell Phone

ICE, In Case of Emergency I've been doing this for years, and meaning to post it for a long time now, I think it's a pretty wise idea. Considering the things we do, and the places we are heading out to, make sure folks can find the right folks to contact, should God forbid, anything happen. Only takes a few minutes, so PLEASE take the time.

Thanks,
carljwnc
Unread 20th April 2009, 04:11 AM
Administrator and Founders' Friend

Year: MY05
Model: Forry XT
Transmission: manual
mr turbo is on a distinguished road

A very good idea indeed. I see (if I read it correctly) that it's also available here down under in Australia. I must have a closer look into this.
Thanks for the link Carljwnc.

Regards
Mr Turbo
Unread 20th April 2009, 04:25 AM

dicknose is on a distinguished road

Funny you post this now...

one of the current headline news items is about a boy who died while bushwalking on the outskirts of Sydney. He called the emergency services (000 our version of 911) several times and still died. The emergency phone service has been criticised for poor handling, asking him for his address, not passing on important information and one some calls treating him as though it was a joke.

It is quite possible to get into trouble in an area with phone reception.
I would still suggest calls to 000 - but make it clear if it is serious and that you arent in a suburban area. As hard as it can be, you need to remain calm, the people on the other end arent always going to be the best!
Unread 20th April 2009, 05:16 AM
bush bash'n ranga

eden is on a distinguished road

^^ this is more about paramedics getting information from family and friends from your your cell phone when you unconsious rather than calling for help. its a great idea i think. could save a lot of time in emergency

2000 outback, subX bullbar + sumpguard,50mm raised strut blocks,30mm raised springs,215/65/16 rubber,uhf, dual battery system,150W spots,touchscreen navigation with oziexplorer. more to come
Unread 20th April 2009, 05:51 AM
Administrator and Founders' Friend

Year: MY05
Model: Forry XT
Transmission: manual
mr turbo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eden View Post
could save a lot of time in emergency
Too right mate! In a medical emergency time is of the essence!

I also like the idea of having a sticker that tells the emergency personel about it.

I personally, have a sealed envelope that is kept in the glove box of my Forry which has my medical info in it (alergies, blood type, etc) & who to contact in case of emergency.

Perhaps I should put a sticker somewhere that tells them its in there.

Regards
Mr Turbo
Unread 20th April 2009, 06:59 AM
Administrator

carljwnc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr turbo View Post
I also like the idea of having a sticker that tells the emergency personel about it.

I personally, have a sealed envelope that is kept in the glove box of my Forry which has my medical info in it (alergies, blood type, etc) & who to contact in case of emergency.
I like the idea of a sticker, and your idea of an envelope in the glove box. I didn't read far enough into the link I posted above. I really don't see any need to pay anyone for anything related to this, I just wanted for folks to see the idea. All you need to do is program the acronym ICE next to the phone numbers you want contacted in the event of an emergency.
Example:
My home phone # ICE 1
Wife's cell # ICE 2
Parents # ICE 3

Wikipedia Link which also tells how you can get free stickers and cards at least in the US.
Unread 20th April 2009, 02:30 PM

nipper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknose View Post
Funny you post this now...

one of the current headline news items is about a boy who died while bushwalking on the outskirts of Sydney. He called the emergency services (000 our version of 911) several times and still died. The emergency phone service has been criticised for poor handling, asking him for his address, not passing on important information and one some calls treating him as though it was a joke.

It is quite possible to get into trouble in an area with phone reception.
I would still suggest calls to 000 - but make it clear if it is serious and that you arent in a suburban area. As hard as it can be, you need to remain calm, the people on the other end arent always going to be the best!

This drove a big feature here in the USA, with GPS tracking. There was an Amtrack train crash not too far out side of NYC (20-30 miles maybe) in the swampy area of NJ. A swing bridge caused a major derailment. This happenend on a clear day. It's just a section of track that no one pays attention to as it is the between NY penn station and the first stop in New Jersey. 911 got many many calls about the accident from people on the train, but they did not know where they were, what happened (no real visiual landmarks), so the response was greatly delayed. this was before 9/11.
After this there was a big push to get GPS functions in phones available to assist 911 emergencies. And check to see if your phone has GPS tracking on it and turn it on before you go hiking, or if its a childs or other "geographically impared" person have it turned on for them.
Mom is 80, thats why i got her a cell phone. She doesnt know how to use 90% of the features, but I have peace of mind.

nippwe
Unread 25th February 2010, 06:56 AM

Year: MY09
Model: SH XT Forester Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
subalex is on a distinguished road

In Australia, it's important to dial 112 from a mobile phone and NOT 000.
Unread 28th February 2010, 08:28 AM

hoadie is on a distinguished road

000 works just fine from a mobile in Aus. I've used it on two occasions and have a tv appearance to prove it lol
Unread 22nd January 2011, 11:15 PM
Contributing Member

Barry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by carljwnc View Post
ICE, In Case of Emergency I've been doing this for years, and meaning to post it for a long time now, I think it's a pretty wise idea. Considering the things we do, and the places we are heading out to, make sure folks can find the right folks to contact, should God forbid, anything happen. Only takes a few minutes, so PLEASE take the time.

Thanks,
carljwnc
Carl,
What is it exactly that you do?
Have a listing in your phone numbers that is called ICE with contact details for a relative?
The web link just seems to be to a US commercial site.