Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > Miscellaneous > Computing

Notices

Old 4th February 2015, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

The good news is my last remaining commercial client paid me for the last couple of years' work - I am pretty slack about billing ...

The bad news is that I have a very sick HDD.
A "The drive in drive j: is unformatted. Would you like to format it now?" sick ... .

It is the 2 TB internal HDD that contains all my images and other backups!

No warning. PC just wouldn't start properly this morning.

I have copies on other external drives, of course, but I am waiting for the CHKDSK to finish to see how much data I have to recover. Potentially around 1.4 TB. I had to run CHKDSK from a command line, as the Windows GUI could not 'see' the drive.

Could be ugly ...
Old 4th February 2015, 11:42 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Forester GT Lux
Transmission: Auto
essfoz is on a distinguished road

Ohh, that sucks really bad. Good luck with that, hopefully you can retrieve your files!!
Old 5th February 2015, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Hey mate

All is OK, except for my splitting headache!

536,000 files appear to have been properly recovered, including the Adobe Bridge caches ...

Gotta love Windows NTFS file system! When it is said to be fully recoverable, it's true.

The problem turned out to be 140 KB of bad clusters in the boot sector, MFT and MFT mirror, along with problems in the volume USN and USN Journal. If you don't know what these are, don't sweat about it. Most people don't.

What it amounts to is that the most crucial data structures on the disk were damaged. With Apple OSx and their file system, that would have been the end of what was on the disk.

With Windows NT (all versions, including Win2K, XP and beyond, the system recovery tools can rebuild not only corrupt user data files, but also corrupt system data files that the user cannot even see, such as $MFT$ and its mirror copy, the partition table, Volume Bitmap, etc.

NT treats the entirety of the disk as a virtual object, and creates (or can recreate) a set of data structures that represent the disk contents. About the only thing that will stop it is a physical head crash, and even then it will quite literally grind away trying to re-map the volume!

I had this happen to a client once quite a while ago. My time cost their insurer around $38K for my work. I couldn't work for around 9 months afterwards, but I recovered all my client's data. The client was an accountancy practice, so I recovered all their clients' data too. No one lost their jobs, and none of their clients went to the wall either.

That's why I like NTFS, and have little time for systems that cannot use it for read/write access.

Today, it was my turn ... HDDs can and do fail. I am glad I have multiple backups current as at about a week ago.

Will have a yarn to Pedders later if I feel up to it.
Old 5th February 2015, 12:29 AM

I have a vague understanding, but very little. It's not ALL foreign language to me. At least it's sorted now! From this I would guess you were IT tech or a programmer of sorts. Or just someone who know's what they're doing.
Old 5th February 2015, 12:32 AM

I never really thought of that.. This kind of thing would happen to businesses that have stored ALOT of data, more often than I'd guess! Scary.
Old 5th February 2015, 01:13 AM
Administrator

I am just doing a boot-time CHKDSK on the damaged drive ATM. It is picking up other errors, which is what I expected. CHKDSK.EXE isn't just one program. The version that runs under the Windows GUI is different from the one that runs at boot-time, and different again from the versions that run during a boot disk command line recovery or an initial Windows installation. All called the same, which is somewhat confusing! Each does slightly different things. You cannot substitute any of the .EXE files for any of the others, they just won't work.

And yes, I have spent about 40 years in "IT". That term was coined in the early 1990s. When I first started doing this sort of stuff, universities didn't even have computing science degree courses!
Old 12th February 2015, 01:05 AM
Administrator

The HDD has something very seriously wrong with it. Thanks for asking.

Had to recover it from the DOS based emergency recovery command line a few times last night and today. I am hoping that it lasts long enough to get all the data off it so that I don't have to rebuild it from non-current backups. About 200 GB to go, out of 1.45 TB. So far, so good! After I have a current copy of the data, I'll investigate what's wrong with it. Could just be the SATA cable. Could just need reformatting. However, I think it's cactus. Will get a new 3 TB one tomorrow.
Old 12th February 2015, 01:13 AM

That sounds painful. I've lost alot of school work to failing HDDs and USBs, but never that much data. Obviously you managed to get majority of it back.
Old 12th February 2015, 01:38 AM
Administrator

SF, I have five backups of the data on the drive. Much of the data on this drive is online backup for both my PC and others on our network, so the original data is (hopefully) still OK. It's rare for multiple HDDs to fail simultaneously IME. Power problems can cause it. This is why I have so many offline backups.
Old 12th February 2015, 01:58 AM

I should start making backups I think!