Unread 2nd December 2014, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road
Default Aldi 10.1 inch Tablet Was on special

Gidday Folks

These are on special for $99.99 today (in Victoria).

I have bought one with the accessory pack that has a plug-in charger, headphones of unknown quality and a carry folio that seems to be of reasonable quality. This costs another $14.99.

The screen quality is nothing to rave about, and the viewing angle is very restricted. Don't expect $500-1,000 image quality.

The built in camera is TWO megapixels. Not even sure how they sourced something this useless.

After removing the screen overlay, you need to clean the screen with some tissues with a little Windex on it (very slightly damp-ish). Wipe dry. Then clean with another tissue with a tiny amount of Mr Sheen on it, then polish off.
If you don't do this, your finger will stick to the screen instead of gliding across it! The screen overlay is NOT an electrostatic stick - it's got a very mild adhesive on it.

With continuous use, the 4,000 mAH Lithium Polymer battery is probably good for 8-12 hours with a full charge. I have used mine intensively for about 3 hours, going from 70+% to 30+% full.

That's the bad.

The good is that it doesn't come loaded up with crap, as most phones do.

Android Kit Kat v.4.4.x OS.

I have installed a decent off-line dictionary; Adobe Reader; Calculator; Conversion Calculator; Periodic Table of Elements; and will add a couple of other programs to these essentials.

It takes an external 32 GB microSD card.

It can charge from a computer port or any other USB charger. It also has an input for DC, but an adapter is not supplied.

Connecting to my home WiFi took about a minute, and it has a stronger signal in our bedroom than my blue tick phone has.

It is supposed to be able to access external storage devices, but cannot find my small external portable HDD to test this.

Works out a route via Google Maps faster than my desktop ... .

Dual processor, 1.5 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 16 GB internal memory. AFAICT, it uses far less RAM for apps etc than any of my phones do!

The nearest equivalent (but with a {far?} better display) costs around $300-500 and beyond.

Is it fantastic value - YES.

Is it the best quality, fastest thing on the market - NO.

Is it adequate to the task - YES

Would I recommend it - YES.

If anyone has any questions, please ask.
Unread 3rd December 2014, 09:25 PM

Year: sf
Model: sf
Transmission: m
idw is on a distinguished road

http://www.oziexplorer3.com/android/...r_android.html and http://maps.festy.org/downloads/ozi/VIC/ and http://maps.festy.org/downloads/ozi/NSW/

ozi explorer is about the only thing i use my tablet for since the wall charger broke.
Unread 3rd December 2014, 10:15 PM
Administrator

I have to investigate the oziexplorer maps and s/w.

It is one of the reasons I bought the tablet.

It will also use my phone as a WiFi hotspot, as will my dear old IBM laptop (2003 vintage).

The Hema Android maps seem to be getting some bad press. What do you think?

Have to go to office works and buy a decent 32GB microSD card for it.
Unread 3rd December 2014, 11:22 PM

Year: sf
Model: sf
Transmission: m
idw is on a distinguished road

The Hema maps are fine if they are properly calibrated, I believe alot of the complaints people are having are from torrented scan copies that have been calibrated badly. I've also got the dse maps for vic and nsw, which are absolutely brilliant

I've a full set of the hema maps i got from Hema for free through uni which are absolutely brilliant, as well as the geo-science 250k which are good for an overview or finding basically where i want a waypoint before finding a more detailed map to drop my point.

I bought the ozi beta and have been using it on my phone and tab for a couple of years, with big maps though, my tab does lag a little (1.6 dual core and 1gb ram, maps from a sandisk U1 extreme sd) at times, but this can be avoided by breaking the maps into smaller mapsets and converting to ozf4 so your not loading large img's.

There's also androzic a russian app that runs older ozf2 files, which is good if you can find an old release of the ozi format converter that will convert to ozf2. It looks prettier than ozi and is less cluttered and easier to use.
Unread 4th December 2014, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

Year: 2000
Transmission: 5MT
Tweaksta is on a distinguished road

I use the Androzic option on my phone, highly recommended. All of Australia....right there.

All the data is in ozf2 format.

Hema is nice because of the extra details in some remote places - although one road which looked public on the map ended up going through a private station and I had to knock on the homestead door and beg for permission to pass through....lol
Unread 4th December 2014, 05:35 AM
Administrator

Gidday Tweak

So, finding Androzic was easy enough.

But where does one find the ozf2 maps for the s/w? TIA.
Unread 4th December 2014, 06:36 AM

Year: 2006
Model: Holden Adventra
Transmission: Auto
Scooby2 is on a distinguished road

This thread about navigation gave me the giggles. Scooby2 has been on 3 adventures lately - 2 without me. The first two, I had reports back from first my son that he was ready to throw SpongeBob & the Garwoman out the window when it randomly took him through a river crossing that really should have factored in a snorkel FOR NO APPARENT REASON.... Then my daughter made similar comments on a wayward journey towards Toowoomba.

Then, I was to experience it myself. I enjoy different scenery on long trips, so never really mind so long as I make it to my final destination. Fortunately there were no snorkel adventures, and I was surprised when SpongeBob accidentally navigated me to Henry Lawson's childhood home. What I couldn't deal with was making the decision to go via Warwick to Brisbane rather than Toowoomba and the ensuing barrage of verbal abuse from the damn thing because I refused to turn at each and every place it told me to go via Toowoomba..... at that point... I decided that SpongeBob and the Garwoman will never travel with me in Scooby2 again!
Best regards,
Unread 4th December 2014, 04:21 PM

tuckerbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbag View Post
Gidday Tweak

So, finding Androzic was easy enough.

But where does one find the ozf2 maps for the s/w? TIA.
Try this, its free http://maps.festy.org/

Cheers.
Unread 4th December 2014, 06:56 PM
Administrator

^^ S2.

^ thanks for that link, TB. I accidentally started downloading the 729 MB NSW map set direct to the tablet .
Pretty tragically slow! I will download them all to my PC, then copy them to the tablet from there. 113 Mbps wired is a tad faster than 54 Mbps WiFi ... .
Unread 4th December 2014, 10:24 PM

tuckerbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbag View Post
^^ S2.

^ thanks for that link, TB. I accidentally started downloading the 729 MB NSW map set direct to the tablet .
Pretty tragically slow! I will download them all to my PC, then copy them to the tablet from there. 113 Mbps wired is a tad faster than 54 Mbps WiFi ... .
Unless you have ftth otherwhile downloading still very slow compare to 54Mbps wifi.