Notices

Unread 26th November 2014, 11:43 PM
Forum Member

Year: 1997
Model: Nissan Terrano
Transmission: 4sp auto, ATTESA pt4wd, D/R
kiwifoz is on a distinguished road
Default Unbelievable! Zero tolerance speed limit in NZ

I'm currently NOT happy. The police here have decided to defy reason and good sense this summer, and have placed a zero-tolerance limit on our roads. So, if you exceed the posted limit by so much as 1kph!!! you are able to be ticketed.

Needless to say, the number of tickets issued last year when the tolerance was 4kph was 6 times the year before, when the tolerance was 10kph. I reckon they were a bit short of cash this year with the cut police budget.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/3...r-posted-limit

Anyway, this is going to ruin my holiday. If I don't get a ticket I'll be bloody lucky I reckon. I'm just glad my speedo's dead on with the 215/65s. I may actually run my phone GPS on the windscreen mount for an exact speed.

And for anyone who says that it will make our roads safer, well.
- Firstly, the UK has just RAISED their speed tolerance to 138kph on their motorways, and put in place proper driving education and a raised age to compensate.
- Secondly, do you have any idea how much time you spend looking at the speedo when trying to stay at that speed?
- Thirdly, if our modern cars are safer than ever then why the hell are we going slower?
- Fourth, how on Earth am I supposed to overtake without breaking 100?

The only plus side is that I might save a bit of petrol.

Comments, commiseration and general outrage below, please.
Unread 27th November 2014, 12:30 AM
Forum Member

taza is on a distinguished road

That's ****ed!
Unread 27th November 2014, 01:43 AM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Geez, KF that's disgusting!

About 15 years ago, I got done for a ridiculous speed - 135 kmh in a 100 kmh zone. I admitted to the court that I was doing "about 117-118 kmh" in our Camry.

The police evidence consisted of a hand-held radar gun reading taken at 1,452 feet.

According to the manufacturer of that radar gun's web site, the device should never be relied upon at distances over 1,000 feet. And only over about 500 feet if mounted on one of their special tripods. I was not allowed to tender this as evidence unless I could produce an expert from the company in the USA to attest that their own web site was correct!

I was also not allowed to tender evidence from NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology in the USA) regarding their work on the accuracy of speed measurement devices undertaken for NIST by the Michigan State Police Force, which showed these devices to be highly inaccurate in common situations.

I was also not allowed to tender evidence from the ACPO in the UK (Association of Chief Police Officers), where they allowed 10% + 3 mph above the limit before the motorist would even be challenged. At 60 mph limit, that's 69 mph.

All of these allowances were made with the understanding that:

a) speedometers are inaccurate, and can vary according to some road conditions; and

b) that the radar devices (actually properly called LIDAR devices are only accurate under controlled conditions, and when used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions - something that the Victorian Police are specifically exempted from doing by law ... again ...

We don't seem to need external nasty people to wreck our countries, our duly elected governments and their officials are busy doing it all the time ... Not good.
Unread 27th November 2014, 01:48 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2008
Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual 5 speed
DavAmb is on a distinguished road

Here in Victoria tolerance was reduced to 3kph over the limit well over a year ago. This was in reaction to the loss of revenue brought about by the wide-spread adoption by road users of GPS for monitoring speed.

They've also been using near-IR light sources for photography so that the tell-tale flash is no longer evident and for safe night-time use.
Unread 27th November 2014, 01:58 AM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Gidday DA

Make that well over 10 years ago, mate.

The then government had a serious budget problem (overspending on trinkets of little or no value to us as a community ... ), and needed the extra revenue so that they could declare a "surplus".

Very rare for any government to reduce revenue streams once they are in place IME.
Unread 27th November 2014, 02:06 AM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

1 klm is bloody ridiculous!
Unread 27th November 2014, 02:31 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbag View Post
Gidday DA, Make that well over 10 years ago, mate.
Was it that long ago RB - I'd no idea. Recall reading about it in one of the car rags a year or so back. I remember some State advertising (ok - propaganda) exhorting us to "see the bigger picture" when it comes to velocitax, but this campaign didn't last for long. Maybe it had the desired effect. The whole system runs on a carefully managed metering-out of guilt to keep us from realising how absurd it really is. No-one dare mention that it's only breaking a law and not committing a crime. Imagine if we treated real criminals the same way; If we hid behind bushes and took photos of them going about their crimes and simply sent them fines rather than apprehend them in the act. There is no argument for covert speed cameras that will withstand any logical scrutiny.
Unread 27th November 2014, 07:56 AM
Forum Member

Year: sf
Model: sf
Transmission: m
idw is on a distinguished road

The stuff in the newspaper was when they changed it from a % of 3 to a km/h limit i think.

vic has 3km/h for mobile cameras and 2k/h for fixed cameras i believe (happy to be proved wrong).

As ridiculous as it is for a camera tolerance, I find it relatively easy and painless to just follow the speed limit. On my commute to work i pass 6 fixed cameras, 8 fixed red light cameras, and 4 mobile camera hot spots. Only takes a couple of seconds of carelessness and I've lost my license, It's not difficult to drive attentively and mind the camera traps.

The whole zero tolerance thing on the other hand is just stupid, I want the idiot who's weaving through traffic and speeding up then slowing down, who then proceeds to speed to overtake someone who's doing the limit fined. Not the person who took their eyes off the speedo to head check or merge, or look at what the other traffic is doing, who let the needle just tick over the limit while doing so to be fined.
Unread 27th November 2014, 06:29 PM
Forum Member

I too have a long commute IDW, not as many revenue cameras as the Calder perhaps, and I rely on my cruise control to make the routine journey tolerable. Dunno about yours, but mine can put me over the threshold on a slight downhill if set for 100ks. So even though I might have every intention of doing the right thing, I can still be fined!

How are you supposed to overtake a car doing say 95ks? The amount of time you would spend on the wrong side of the road in such an action is ridiculous.

To coin Wolfgang Pauli - "that's not even wrong".
Unread 27th November 2014, 06:30 PM
Forum Member

Year: 1997
Model: Nissan Terrano
Transmission: 4sp auto, ATTESA pt4wd, D/R
kiwifoz is on a distinguished road

I bet this puts the price of radar detectors through the roof. I'm seriously tempted to get one.