Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road
Default Compressed air/Exhaust air jack

Gidday Folks

I bought one of these last week:

http://www.princess-trade.com.au/car...-air-jack.html

This type of jack is highly recommended in the WA Police Academy "Aids to Survival" publication.

It came complete with padding felts for top and bottom; attachments for use with either exhaust gas or an air compressor; repair kit; gloves (!); and a decently strong carry bag that comfortably fits all the bits into it.

This type of jack is both more flexible than a wallaby jack (high lift jack, etc), and far less dangerous to use. I have used wallaby jacks in my youth, and they will remove fingers or hands very easily, either when jacking or when supporting. Wallaby jacks are great as bling, and for lifting tractors, just too flaming dangerous for "normal" use IMNSHO.

This just about completes my recovery kit. All I really need now is a long handled spade (Bunnings, when I am feeling better).
Unread 31st May 2014, 03:04 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Looks good & would be easy to use plus easy to store. I wonder how easy it is to deflate?

I wouldnt trust how stable it is. IMO it would be more stable than a high lift jack but any load on top would still like to roll off, just like sitting on a big beach ball
Unread 31st May 2014, 03:23 AM
Administrator

Gidday NL

I don't trust ANY jacks for stability, and the manufacturers specifically state not to get under the vehicle unless supported on chassis stands. At least the thing itself is not downright dangerous, as is the case with high lift jacks.

As for deflation, there are two ways. The slow way is to stick something in the (compressor) inflation valve. The ordinary way is to slowly back off the bayonet mount inlet in either case. Should collapse like a bag of wet mice ... .

Seems to me that the best thing about it is the ability to elevate the vehicle from an uneven, less than stable surface. There is also no necessity to excavate huge amounts in order to be able to pack under the bogged wheel or wheels. One at a time, if needs be.
Unread 31st May 2014, 09:01 AM

taza is on a distinguished road

Yeah been looking to buy one of these. Would certainly help when your bellied out.
Unread 31st May 2014, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Will let you know how well it works, Taza.

Seems to be well made.

From my Batphone
Unread 31st May 2014, 10:38 PM

taza is on a distinguished road

I have to agree witj high lift jacks. They are absolutely dangerous. The only good thing about them is they can be used as a hand winch. .
Keen to see your opinion on it.
Unread 1st June 2014, 04:31 AM

Year: 1999
Model: Forester
Transmission: 5MT
Dedman is on a distinguished road

I though about getting one of these for a while so I will be interested to see how it performs for you particularly in terms of stability.
One would never replace my high lift jack though as high lifts are absolutely brilliant devices and can be used for so so so many things both car related and not. Dangerous if you are not thinking about what you are doing and have the draw back that they are really only suitable for reasonably strong people but whilst im fit enough to use one I will always have one.
Unread 2nd June 2014, 07:14 AM
Administrator

^ & ^^ Gidday Taza and DM

I will post a review of the thing in the "recovery gear" sub-forum when I have a chance to take some proper photos of it, and have given it a test run.

The base and top are about 600 mm in diameter. Because it is so large in diameter, I expect it to be reasonably stable when inflated. Unlike a beach ball, it is pretty flat on the ends, specially when it is under load.
Unread 2nd June 2014, 08:17 AM

Year: 2002
Model: Forester SG
Transmission: 1.447 low range 4.44 diffs
havachat is on a distinguished road

Hey Ratbag,
I agree that you try it out before you need it. On a club trip at Christmas two of these failed. So there is a degree of danger with these.
Cheers
Unread 2nd June 2014, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Gidday HC

The instructions are pretty clear about avoiding hot bits, sharp bits, etc, at both ends of the device.

They are also very clear about using the (supplied) pads over each end of the device.

Like everything, these things can fail. It is why I am so un-trusting of jacks (etc) in general. I have had all types collapse in use. I have had a car supported on chassis stands fall sideways off them (user error - mine).

Bull bags get a wrap from the WA Police Academy because they are more flexible and safer than most other forms of high lift jacks (i.e. wallaby jacks).

Wallaby jacks are highly dangerous in all aspects of their use, IME. Sure, there are valid uses for them (I have used them for such), but it is not a device that I enjoy seeing attached as bling to lots of 4WD vehicles, knowing full well that almost none of the owners of those vehicles have a clue about how dangerous they are, and can be; nor do they have any idea of how to use them safely (if there can be said to be such use ... ).

I have been there when a Jackaroo (under supervision and instruction) very nearly lost fingers or a hand when one collapsed during normal use, in almost ideal conditions.

Tags
air jack, air lift jack, bull bag, exhaust jack