Notices

Unread 31st January 2014, 07:23 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2005
Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual
silver is on a distinguished road
Default Am going to stop smoking.

Well I'm certainly not a spring chicken and after 50 years of smoking I have made up my mind to have a go at stopping. I started a course of Champix today and will see how it goes. I don't think I could do it any other way and will need a drug to stop me having a drug!!
I'm stressed!! Can't imagine my life without a ciggie!!
Unread 31st January 2014, 08:42 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Good onya mate...well done!

Its gonna be hard but stick at it. Any time you get a craving get up & do something to keep your mind busy...anything.

Get some of those pamphlets that show how quickly your body recovers from smoking...its great motivation. You will also start tasting/smelling food better, have more energy, not get out of breath so fast...& of course have a healthier happier life

Congrats mate. Its a long road but the hardest step is the 1st one
Unread 31st January 2014, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Well done, Silver.

My older brother didn't stop until after he was diagnosed with emphysema and Type 2 diabetes last year ...

I quit in 1982. Haven't had a single one since.
BUT, I still consider myself to be a non-smoking cigarette addict; not a non-smoker ...

I know damn well that if I were to have just the one, I would be hooked again immediately, even after all this time. Been there, done that before.

My thoughts are with you on this. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done at a personal level. Giving up the drink in 1986 was simply a matter of not having alcohol ever again. No heartache or craving at all.

All the best.
Unread 31st January 2014, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Best of luck with it Silver; just think of all the money you can save and spend on your favourite beer instead! I went cold-turkey in 1993; it was hard but well worth it.
Unread 31st January 2014, 11:08 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2006
Model: Holden Adventra
Transmission: Auto
Scooby2 is on a distinguished road

Good on you Silver! I think it is 3 years now since my last one. Be patient and try not to get frustrated... I think most people who have ever been addicted would agree that the "want" to smoke never ever really leaves you. I still get some kind of weird kick out of sitting down wind of someone smoking...

I believe that I replaced my nicotine addiction with Caffeine. This week I stopped that too.... the only thing that comes close to replacing my coffee is a Chai Latte. God forbid somebody finds some kind of thing that my body reacts to with that!

Wishing you all the best in your quest for a smoke free life. It sure does save some $s.

Best regards,
Unread 1st February 2014, 06:18 PM
Forum Member

I have no idea what to expect as far as feeling better goes. I started smoking so early in my life it is normal for me.
All sorts of things are going through my head....more walking,maybe a bit of jogging...what about a swim in the morning or a kayak with a paddle to get the fitness up?
I used to drink a 30 pack carton of beer a week but since I have been down here at Tathra i pretty much stopped drinking and have averaged about 1.5 cans per WEEK on my calculations. I'll still have a beer, but to tell the truth i don't really miss it. I'm really a bit of a loner so only have a beer in social situations.
I'm sure not drinking will come in handy as far as trying to stop smoking goes. A smoke and a beer...uuummm!
This will be part of my motivation...
http://www.isuzuute.com.au/
http://traytopcampers.com/
http://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-...standard-pack/
Hopefully by the end of next year i will have the above stuff and i will set off.
The ute will be an 'extra cab' auto with a tray for the camper. I might have my boat i have now or get another one. The camper will have things changed to suit me...eg a single bed set up rather than a double plus a 110 water tank and a few other things.
I will take my Oztent with me for longer stays and have solar power with plenty of battery capacity.
The detector is more aimed at treasure than gold but i think that is more in tune with what i will do.
I don't have a lot of money but between my shares,savings and cashing in some super plus selling my car i SHOULD be able to do it.
I won't stay in Tathra as i intend to wander around over Oz as much as possible and depending on the seasons.
I have places to stay to repair and restock in Sydney,Mid North Coast,the Gold Coast,Far North Queensland and here at Tathra so i don't need to keep this place.
Sooooo...stopping smoking is part of the plan. My health is generally very good and there are things i want to do and having an oxygen machine strapped to me would be a pain in the bum to put it mildly!
Unread 1st February 2014, 09:31 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

That sounds like a great plan & what you need to keep motivated. keep up the great work
Unread 2nd February 2014, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Thread title modified for positive support!
Unread 2nd February 2014, 08:27 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2013
Transmission: 5-speed MT
twowings is on a distinguished road

I'm an Operating Room Nurse...I see the terrible consequences of smoking every day...I wish you complete success! It's NEVER too late or in vain to quit...I don't care how tough a bloke you may think you are, if you smoke you are making yourself just as vulnerable to physical harm as a heroin addict...Good luck!
Unread 6th February 2014, 01:47 AM
Forum Member

Well, I'm into my 6th day of Champix. The dose builds up as you head towards full dose on the 8th day.
Start with .05mg tablet once in the morning for 3 days then go to one in the morning and one at night for 4 days and then 1mg tablets in the morning and night.
Didn't notice anything for the first 3 days but today I am 'sort of' feeling something. I think, but am not positive, that I don't quite feel like a smoke as much as I did.
They say to keep smoking but set a cut off date sometime in the second week of the course. I have about 4 days of baccy left so I am hoping I can do it by then.
No weird dreams yet but my guts are playing up a touch.
So far so good.