OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Offroad and Touring Central > Camping and Cooking

Notices

Unread 7th April 2012, 01:51 AM

wombat is on a distinguished road

I love my little finchie fridge!
Had it running outside on gas the last 4 days, filled it with a carton of beer after a day, checked the temp of one that i opened before i filled it, 2.1c.
Came out the next day and measured one at midday and it was 0.2c!
Overnight the fridge got down to -2.8c stoked with it, runs like a champ on gas next time i go to my favourite spot(30kms from the nearest town and power, along a beach that can only be driven on at low tide) i wont need to worry about getting ice for my esky hooray
Unread 7th April 2012, 02:22 AM

stilson is on a distinguished road

Goodonya mate, there's nothing like an ice cold beer at the end of the day.
Unread 8th April 2012, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Barry is on a distinguished road

Yes, gas fridges work well in 'base camp' situations, where they can be set up level so they do their thing correctly.
Unread 8th April 2012, 09:33 PM

Year: 2005
Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual
silver is on a distinguished road

I think gas fridges are fine but for me they are too much of a hassle and end up costing much more than a compressor fridge. Also the saftey factor is involved and accidents do happen with gas.
My waeco CF50 will be ready to go after 20 mins,can work up to an angle of 45 degrees and except for the price of a battery costs nothing to run.
I paid $180 for a 100amphr AGM battery which should last 3-5 years. It can (has) run the fridge for up to 4 days, in real life 3 days, and worked great on my 2 1/2 month trip down south.
If i had solar panels it would have been good but because i was pretty much on the move every 3/4 days i could charge the battery through my car smart charger with the wiring i had set up.
My book on the fridge in the van i bought tells me the fridge will use about 250gms of gas every 24hrs but Jayco say to expect 28 days from a 9kg gas bottle but my mate tells me that 21 days is much more realistic.
In remote places you can pay around $40 to fill a 9kg bottle so it adds up.
I paid $24.50 to fill a 4kg bottle that i used only for cooking at Tathra on the South Coast of NSW.
I know budgets come into it but in the long run i reckon compressor fridges are cheaper.
Unread 8th April 2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I think gas fridges are fine but for me they are too much of a hassle and end up costing much more than a compressor fridge. Also the saftey factor is involved and accidents do happen with gas.
My waeco CF50 will be ready to go after 20 mins,can work up to an angle of 45 degrees and except for the price of a battery costs nothing to run.
I paid $180 for a 100amphr AGM battery which should last 3-5 years. It can (has) run the fridge for up to 4 days, in real life 3 days, and worked great on my 2 1/2 month trip down south.
If i had solar panels it would have been good but because i was pretty much on the move every 3/4 days i could charge the battery through my car smart charger with the wiring i had set up.
My book on the fridge in the van i bought tells me the fridge will use about 250gms of gas every 24hrs but Jayco say to expect 28 days from a 9kg gas bottle but my mate tells me that 21 days is much more realistic.
In remote places you can pay around $40 to fill a 9kg bottle so it adds up.
I paid $24.50 to fill a 4kg bottle that i used only for cooking at Tathra on the South Coast of NSW.
I know budgets come into it but in the long run i reckon compressor fridges are cheaper.
Yeah i woulda saved the money and bought a compressor fridge but i get the time to camp about 4-5 times a year if that, and most trips are for only 2-3 days sometimes a week, sometimes the icebox will be enough but for the week trips the fridge will do the job, not really worth spending $1000 on a fridge+ battery and charger etc just yet, when i get more time and wanna do a serious roadtrip around ill be buying a decked out cruiser with dual batteries etc beforehand.
Unread 8th April 2012, 09:52 PM

Year: 2005
Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual
silver is on a distinguished road

ANNNNDDDDDD............whatever fridge you get.....nothing beats a beer straight from the ice
Unread 8th April 2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
ANNNNDDDDDD............whatever fridge you get.....nothing beats a beer straight from the ice
Too right, think i'll make a compromise and use my icebox for the beer and use the fridge for food, at least ill have icey beers for a few days before i have to load them into the fridge.
Unread 17th September 2012, 11:15 PM

legman is on a distinguished road

bought our 44lt Primus 3 way for our trip out west.
worked a treat, only ran it off 12 vlt when in transit, went away for 3 weeks never had a hassel finding a level place to set it up, most people camp in a fairly level place anyway.
9kg lasted 2 1/2 weeks while running a light and our webber off it.
friends who came with us have a large Engel 12 vlt had to use a battery charger a few times and muck around with solar panels.
my fridge just seemed less trouble
i am happy with it suits our kind of travel , drive no more than a day stay put for a couple of days then move on
our set up,
Unread 18th September 2012, 12:01 AM
Contributing Member

Barry is on a distinguished road

As you say legman, it suits your style of camping, which is the main criteria.