Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Reviews > Products

Notices

Unread 7th August 2015, 01:17 AM

Year: 2007
Model: Forester X
Transmission: 5MT
zippo is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Cheapish compressor from Repco

Before last year's trip I decided to grab a new compressor, as my old one (80's vintage) was sort of past it. Repco had on sale a Gearup GUDAC30 with digital display and auto shutoff for about $60 IIRC. Compressors are like a lot of other gear (and parachutes) - it's nice to know you have one but you still prefer to not have a situation where you need it - but it pays to make sure that it works and you know how to use it. So it was tested at home on a couple of tyres, auto shutoff at selected pressure worked a treat, all good.

Two trips around Oz later (15,000 and 17,000km) I can say that I have not needed it. But at the NT/SA border rest area I found a bloke with a Toyota LC, a failed tyre and a totally flat spare. So we used my little unit to put 40 psi in the spare so he could get mobile again. The compressor never missed a beat, but it took quite a while to get there. It claims 30 litres/min (input of course) and 100psi max delivery. Getting to that pressure would likely take as long as a recent Aussie cricket innings.

So far so good. It's not the sort of unit I'd recommend for those inclined to "air-down" at the sight of a corrugated gravel road, but for general duty I reckon it was good value.
Unread 7th August 2015, 02:30 AM

Model: 2 x XT Foresters
Transmission: Auto
Liberty Valance is on a distinguished road

For those who haven't seen it this is probably the biggest, broadest and most comprehensive test ever document of air compressors available on the Australian market. http://www.4wdaction.com.au/sites/de...RE%20air_2.pdf

It's an excellent read if you are looking to buy a compressor or just want to know what differentiates the good from the very good.
Unread 7th August 2015, 05:10 AM

Model: Forester X
Transmission: 5MT
zippo is on a distinguished road

I had seen that review/comparison previously, but for my type of use (NOT inflating Zodiacs, or multiple LC's in a row) they all seemed overkill AND too large physically for my space-challenged touring requirement. As their last sentence says: "Follow those two tips and just about any compressor you buy will give you years of faithful service".
Unread 7th August 2015, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

The MCC 150L appears to be identical to the one Princess Trading sold me for about $80 ...

I have seen them advertised for >$300!!