OFFROADSUBARUS.com

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > Technical Forums > Mods, Insurance, Local Compliance & you

Notices

Old 1st November 2017, 12:27 AM

Year: 2010
Model: Forester
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info on the tyres. Does anyone know if the 225X70X16 fit on the 6.5 inch standard rims? Would it increase the risk of rolling a tyre off at lowered pressure?
Old 1st November 2017, 02:47 AM

Venom is on a distinguished road

I think the wider a tyre relative to the rim is the less likely it is to to roll of.
Old 21st November 2017, 12:29 AM

Year: 1998
Model: Outback. JDM TT conversion
Transmission: 5MT DR
duncanm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachworm View Post
Thanks for the info on the tyres. Does anyone know if the 225X70X16 fit on the 6.5 inch standard rims? Would it increase the risk of rolling a tyre off at lowered pressure?
It'll certainly fit, though 6.5" is towards the lower end of what tyre manufacturers typically recommend.

I've been running 225/60R16's on my 6.5" outback rims for some time.

Not sure I'll do it again - feels like the sidewalls do roll a bit more than 215's when cornering hard, but that could well be just the change in tyre brand/style, too.
Old 22nd February 2018, 04:23 AM

Year: MY14
Model: Forester XT
Transmission: CVT
pbilz is on a distinguished road

Put your reading glasses on and grab a beer…. It's time to light up this threat again.

I’ve been looking to pull the trigger on a larger diameter tyre for my SJ Foz to go with a 50mm lift (currently on order from @NachaLuva) Currently 225/55r18 looking to go to a 225/65r17. I've got the XT so 17” wheels are the smallest I can run. It’s approx 20mm larger in diameter.

What has always held me back is wanting to remain legal for insurance purposes. I’m in QLD, Australia.

I believe NSW and VIC light vehicle modification policies have for a year or so allowed a 50mm suspension lift + 25mm (or some increase in percentage) from tyres under self certification, superseding VSB14 policy.

It was my interpretation of QLD policy that they followed VSB 14 from the national code of practice - that anything greater than a 50mm lift increase of vehicles with ESC requires certification (mod plate). And increase in overall diameter increase for tyres is limited to +15mm. This is stated in QLD guidelines Minor Modifications Vehicle Standards Instruction G19.9.

However this G19.9 being a guideline (guideline does not equal policy) refers to the Queensland code of practice vehicle modifications v2.9 Sep 2017 (QCOPv29) for further information (the policy) on lifts in QLD.

Being recently updated I decided to have a read… again… to my surprise section LS 9 now reads “Vehicle lifts that do not exceed 75mm, and are achieved by modification of the suspension and fitting of alternate tyres and rims only (do not include a body lift) do not require certification under the LS9 code.”

It also mentions for wheels and tyres that “no more than 25mm in vehicle height [increase] for four wheel drive vehicles (typically MC ADR category).” There is no mention of excluding all wheel drive or soft-roaders as per the national code of practice.

…huh…

Does this now mean in QLD you can legally lift a Foz (or Outback?) being MC ADR with a 1-up size tyre up to 75mm total?

Is anyone in QLD running a lift and tyres between 50mm and 75mm with a mod plate or have you got the tick of approval from insurance without a mod plate?

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts!

Old 22nd February 2018, 06:14 AM

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X MY05
Transmission: 5MT D/R
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

I'm not sayin nothin about my lift & tyres.
Apart from the fact that the car handles just about as well as it always has on road and has given me a confidence to tackle things a bit more extreme off road.

To be honest, I never really thought about the legalities & insurance side of things until after I put the lift in. Otherwise, I might have done differently. I've thought about seeing if I could get a mod plate for the lift, but not enough to actually do anything about it.
Whaddya reckon Nachaluva, would the lift I put in {if you can remember it) get approved?

Last edited by Ben Up North; 22nd February 2018 at 06:28 AM. Reason: detail.
Old 31st May 2018, 10:32 PM

please don't forget legalities here -- +7% is max tyre diameter change, regardless of wheel size.
Old 31st May 2018, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Nachaluva previously addressed this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachaLuva View Post
For tyre regs, the 7% rule doesn't apply to Foresters or Outbacks in Victoria, NSW & Queensland. In these states, you're allowed tyres with 50mm bigger diameter giving 1" tyre lift. This is in addition to 50mm strut lift, ie 75mm total lift is completely legal! Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to other Subies or other states. Hopefully, as they keep updating the laws, all the other states will come into line
Old 31st May 2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Nachaluva previously addressed this:
is there a reference to the relevant legislation available?

In particular, the 'subaru's are not light vehicles' part, which I presume is why this is allowed.

I'm not sure I concur with nachaluva. There are two rules, both of which need to be adhered to:
1. 75mm max height with no more than 50mm suspension lift
2. tyre diameter change < 7%

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...ide-height.pdf
Old 1st June 2018, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

This bit applies and, in this case, the tyres being considered are less than +7% so there is no problem:

Minor modifications:
In addition to the above, the following are not considered to be significant modifications and do NOT require assessing or certification:
a. Except where specified below, modifications to the suspension that does not increase or decrease the vehicle’s ride height by more than 50mm.
b. Changes in the diameter of the wheel and tyre combination of up to +/- 7% of the largest size specified by the vehicle manufacturer.
c. Modifications to the ride height up to 75mm that incorporate a maximum change in the suspension of 50mm, and/or an increase in the diameter of the wheel and tyre combination of up to 50mm.
Old 1st June 2018, 01:52 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

Rules are boring. Put there what fits lol.

Tags
adr, australian design rules, maximum lift, modifications, tyre sizes, wheel diameter