• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Long range fuel tanks for Forester 04?

Oh yeah, cool as! Thats just what i needed for my idea haha. See what the supplier says first.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the owner, it's been 3 days now since i sent off the email to the owner, hopefully he is only on Christmas break and will get back to me so I can pass along the info.

I received a reply email today from the owner of the stainless steel tank, his cost was approx. $400.00, I am not sure which denomination that amount is in ... SA - USD or AUD's.

I have replied to him with a link to this Thread and invited him to join the Forum and answer any further questions directly.

Last edited:
Wow, I honestly never expect this to go much further. If you are corresponding with this gent try to get the company name if he remembers it.

Please keep in mind: "3.Group Buys will need approval by the ORS staff. Feel free to start threads gauging interest in your group buys. But please get approval before making it official."

SubaXtreme did make a tank to fit into the spare wheel well.
However this meant that you needed an external wheel carrier for the spare.

G'day all

On this subject, has anyone looked at mounting their spare vertically in the boot, either across or length-ways?

Thanks

Gidday Fizzie

It tends to take up a LOT of room, and is filthy if it's been on the car. Just a couple of thoughts ... ;).

My old Range Rover had it mounted that way. A wheel cover hid the dirt.

Did anyone ever end up enquiring further about this idea? While it may only give a bit more than a 20L jerry can, if someone was really going off-road they could always fill this as well as the jerry can/s they have. An extra 22L would no doubt be very handy in the desert on top of any other fuel carried!

An extra 22L would no doubt be very handy in the desert on top of any other fuel carried!

For my desert run I removed the rear seat squab, laid some high density foam then carried 3 x 10L metal jerrys on their side. Folding the seat back down and securing it on top of them gave a great second level for packing. I carried a 4th 10L jerry in the space between my drawers and the rear quarter panel; then another 20L in the rear jerry holder - so additional 60L all up.

I plan on getting a fuel tank either made up myself or modifying something to fit in the spare wheel bay. I plan on using it to refill the main tank using a fuel pump rather than have it run the engine directly. Also the pump operation will be linked to the fuel tank level so it cant be run dry.

My question is could I use a t-piece in the fuel filler vent or would I be better off putting a new inlet into the tank?

A new inlet I think.

My aux tanks (x2) in the Triton have a T piece inserted into the main filler which feeds fuel to the aux tanks once the OEM tank is full, and then an additional breather coming back and T pieced to the original breather. The aux tanks then gravity feed back into the OEM tank via an inlet inserted in the OEM tank at about 3/4 height.

Back