12V Air Compressor

NachaLuva

Product Developer
I couldnt find a thread on 12V air compressors so thought its time we started one...

My SCA compressor recently decided it couldnt supply enough pressure to inflate my tyre, instead deflating it lol, so I returned it (only been used 3 times!) & I'm looking for a new more reliable one. I'm on a budget so have set a limit of ~$150.

I've found these:

Kinchrome 12V 72lpm 150PSI
Terrain Tamer 85lpm 150PSI
Mishto 12V 160lpm 150PSI

The Kinchrome would be my choice but its only 72lpm, the Mishto is an unknown brand but looks good & is 160lpm.

They're all $110-120.

What do others think? Any other suggestions?

If your willing to spend a bit more the ARB CKMP12 portable compressor that I have is great.
And if you're patient they come up on Ebay every so often. Got one for $250 that was 'as new'.

I got the one from princess trading as advised by Ratbag and it is fantastic.

Yep I looked at that...have you used it much?
There's also this one from Princess Trading:
Princess Trade 150lpm 200PSI

Have you found the screw on fitting annoying? You can get a clamp on fitting:
Air Chuck Clip-On Adapter

These also look good:
Thumper 160lpm 150PSI 12V - RoadRunnerOffroad.com.au
Projecta Typhoon 150lpm 150PSI

The Projecta scored well in this comparison test:
Compressor Comparison
Although the test was done by them, the ABR Sidewinder 150lpm 150PSI scored best under $1000

minas01, The ARB would be nice but out of my budget

I recommend any Viair based compressor - but probably out of your budget range as well.

I found this thread which might be helpful Air up? in particular post reply #20 I've also added the links to it below.

I got the one from princess trading as advised by Ratbag and it is fantastic.
Here is a link to that one. It's a 90L & Single Cylinder & is currently $74 + delivery. https://www.princess-trade.com.au/car...ompressor.html

They also have a bigger one for a few dollars more ($85 + delivery) which is a 150L & Dual Cylinder. https://www.princess-trade.com.au/c...dual-cyclinder-heavy-duty-air-compressor.html

Regards
Mr Turbo

I have the 150L princess model. Done maybe 30 tyres so far no trouble.

I had the 150 projecta and it died.

Also had a mega grunt double pumper and it died too.

Yes the screw fitting is mildly annoying but it never pops off unexpectedly.
Worse was the mega grunt with built in deflator that would activate on its own accord unless you held it firmly in place at all times.

I found this thread which might be helpful Air up? in particular post reply #20 I've also added the links to it below.

Ah there it is...I knew there was a thread on compressors, been searching for it lol :iconwink:

Here is a link to that one. It's a 90L & Single Cylinder & is currently $74 + delivery. https://www.princess-trade.com.au/car...ompressor.html

They also have a bigger one for a few dollars more ($85 + delivery) which is a 150L & Dual Cylinder. https://www.princess-trade.com.au/c...dual-cyclinder-heavy-duty-air-compressor.html

Thanks Mr.T
Those 2 are also on eBay, free postage
Princess Trade 90lpm 200PSI
Princess Trade 150lpm 200PSI

I have the 150L princess model. Done maybe 30 tyres so far no trouble.

I had the 150 projecta and it died.

Also had a mega grunt double pumper and it died too.

Sounds like the larger Princess Trade will be the go, with the Air Chuck Clip-On Adapter for ease of use

Decided on the Kinchrome 12V 72lpm 150PSI . I like Kinchrome stuff, they make great tools. It doesnt have quite the flow rate of some others but neither does the big ARB!

I more want the reliability of being sure I can air back up when I need to instead of limping into the closest servo, possibly damaging my tyres &/or diffs :(

Update on the Kinchrome air compressor....

It keeps blowing fuses! :(

Very happy with how quickly it inflates. The valve clamp is a bit tight but seems to be loosening up. But the issue is its blown a fuse twice now. The 1st may have just been a bad fuse, it looks badly made as does the replacement they sent, & the 2nd one was 30A not 40A so may have just been too small, time will tell.

Other than that, very happy, a very fast inflator. Just goes to show the "stated" flow rate doesnt mean jack lol

My mate just got an under bonnet ARB air compressor. if i had my time again i'd get one of these great unit and very small.

My SCA compressor recently decided it couldnt supply enough pressure to inflate my tyre, instead deflating it lol, so I returned it (only been used 3 times!) & I'm looking for a new more reliable one.

Yes got the same one, the digital square plastic jobber with the digi gauge, led flashing red/white side lights and cord and pipe caddy. Died after 3 goes while still in the car park! Returned it twice and have a third one that has lasted well, maybe I'm just lucky and have the only good one they ever made!

SCA is what it is, super el'cheapo, hehe. :)

Warn VTC Air Compressor. I love it. I plan on getting a Smaller Viair 88P for my daily stow in my car.

Update on the Kinchrome compressor, its not very fast but at least its stopped blowing fuses. I think it was just a few duds. It seems very well made although the chuck is a very tight fit. Not a bad thing as its gets more use it will loosen up

I've got a SCA air devil a friend gave me its reasonably old but I've never had any problems with it, only reason he gave it to me was his cruiser has air lockers now. Might of been the luck of the draw.

i just brought a repco compressor 150l per min. own carry case and pumps up tyres very quickly seems well made too. $150 it cost me. a bit more then its competitors but it makes it easy for me if it breaks as the repco rep is around every week

The advertised flow rate (where it is actually advertised) is typically under no-load conditions, and the compressor will slow down as the tyre fills (see the ARB spec sheet for examples: they list two flow rates for each compressor).

But the important question is what does this mean in real terms? How quickly will the compressor inflate your tyres from 0 to full, or from low to full?

I have 225/60R17 tyres, and my battery-driven Ryobi compressor will inflate one from empty to 16 psi in ~3.5 minutes, but takes almost 10 minutes to get it to 34 psi from empty. I'm supposed to then let it rest for 10 minutes before using it again (10 on, 10 off) so it has no pretences of being a high-end compressor. But it is convenient (e.g. with set-and-go digital pressure controls, and a reasonable size/weight).

How fast is your compressor under real-world conditions?

Back