2003 Outback lift question

Bigcat

Forum Member
Hi guys. It's been a while since I was on here as I sold my old 2004 lifted Forester XT back in 2015 (Dobinson's raised springs and BFG ATs).

Recently I bought a 2003 H6 Outback as a wheelbarrow car for camping and towing duties but it's a bit low for where I used to go in my XT. I want to lift it about 2 inches but don't really want the expense of new springs etc so I thought maybe just strut top blocks might suffice. I've done plenty of searches and had a good look around for a set but don't really know enough about them to make an informed decision so was wondering if anyone has experience in this sort of thing that could point me in the direction of a good kit please.

The OB has stock everything but the springs are in good shape. Although I'd like the bum up a little bit higher than the front just for carrying loads. I intend to drop some slightly bigger tyres on it afterwards, perhaps going to 65 from the stock 60 profile. Nothing too radical.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Subie Lift Oz is the one, excellent stuff.

Yes, talk to him/NachaLuva/SubieLiftOZ.

The one thing to remember is that your angles will only improve from abysmal to poor. So, if angles are an issue where you go, the lift alone won't do.

You can check RalliTek in the US as well as Kings locally for standard height higher load springs. Those plus the lift should solve your undercarriage clearance issues.

Thanks guys. I contacted SLO last night and got a reply back pretty quick. Many thanks for the advice. I will be ordering at tax time as a mild lift will be fine for what I need.

Funny thing was I had the chance to buy back my old Foz when I bought this OB but the guy had put another 50000ks on it (330000ks in total) and completely wrecked the bodywork. I almost cried when I saw it as it was mint when I sold it ��. Decided to go the OB as it was half the price and twice the condition, plus I wouldn't be tempted to spend $$$ on modding another XT motor ��

As long as it'll go down fire tracks and I can sleep in the back I'll be happy.

Thanks again ��

Oh yeah, just one more question. Has anyone fitted these kits themselves or is it best to leave it to the pros? SLO say they come with fitting instructions and I'm fairly handy with a spanner but I don't have a hoist, just a garage floor and trolley jacks and stands. Thanks

Yes, you can fit them yourself; I fitted my strut top lift many years ago. If you need to remove the springs you'll need a spring compressor and you'll need a wheel alignment afterwards.

very simple to just put those spacers on struts. half day job . not much tools needed just basic spanners 12,13, 17, 19 . just disconnect sway bars before lifting car so it would have enough flex to let you remove struts.
as for tires. i went for 215/65R16 and still have some space there.
as for angles front bumper will get most hurt there. it will be still kinda low . depends where you wanna go you could think of cheap bumper cut in half as i did.
just garage floor and jacks are enough for the job.

Then spacers and tires are way to go for you. Just makensure spacers have camber offser, otherwise you will have very bad camber in front. In rear i didint needed anything not even those arm spacer just strut spacers did the job. Wheel is in good camber and its in center of arch.
For carying loads depends how heavy your rear will still go down. For loads some puting kings heavy sprinf in rear. Thou i have still oem self levels and theh handles wirh load very good.

Yep the spacers have camber offset and I'm keeping my self levelers in the rear. Might change the stock rims though as I don't like the offset. They're a bit too far inside the arch. I had a great set of Enkeis on my Foz with a +38 offset that sorted that out but I'm not sure about offsets for the OB yet.

Yes wheels are too much inside for my taste too and they go even more inside with lift. So i would like to put there wheel spacers. Or other rims but those pricy and for offroading steel ones from forester would be better.

Back