boulderGTI

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester X
Transmission
4EAT
Hi Folks,
2004 Forester X here, with ADF strut top lift of 2" up front and 2", 3/8" in rear. Running 215/65/r16 BFG K02s for tires, on generic OE-offset steelies.

Car has about 130,000 miles on the OE suspension and has always felt a bit spongy. The sponginess has become more pronounced with the lift so I'm planning to replace with KYB GR2 struts and King OE-height springs all around. Sound reasonable?

G'day & Welcome!

Yes, that sounds like a good plan.

Yes Kings standard height springs & KYB struts is a good combination with a 2" lift kit. Improves handling a little, improves load carrying capacity without being harsh

What about offroad ability with harder springs?

What about offroad ability with harder springs?

Raised springs are terrible offroad, standard height springs are ok. Of course, for the most articulation offroad stock springs are the best. As with everything, it's a compromise between offroad ability & practicality

The other alternative is custom made progressive springs. I had some done and they weren't much more expensive than Kings. I had custom struts made with a raised spring perch so they didn't have to be raised springs.

I'm pretty sure that Kings are a progressive spring as well.

They may well be, but mine certainly behave differently to the Kings I had, insofar as they don't give me a harsh ride when the vehicle is not carrying a load, nor do they compress by a large amount when the vehicle is loaded.

Back