• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Big Red (Merged)

If you’re going for individual throttle bodies you’re chasing top end power, and if he has done that then surely he would have done cams, head work and a tune. In other words, a high rev screamer.

That's what he built it for, high-speed desert touring in comfort (they're exceptionally comfortable).
He is a bit of a nut for the SVX. I think he's even got two of the 'never existed' flat 12s (never saw production but were based on the EG33), don't know if he got one going in a car though - was planning to chop one of theSVXs and put the engine in the middle I believe.

I know he spent a lot of time on the heads, was concerned there was a cooling issue on one side (I think when running for extended periods at around 7000rpm -so yeah, high revs)

Damn. There's a topic here somewhere..

Here is one of the runs I've done up Big Red.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AXWyz5TFiQ"]Going up Big Red - YouTube[/ame]

This one is just another typical Simpson dune.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW7e895YVt0"]Simpson Desert sand dunes - YouTube[/ame]

Ahhhh......fun times!

^ kool - brings back many memories!

BTW [MENTION=44]Rally[/MENTION] I think you'll need a sand flag and pole.

Directions:

"Head west along Adelaide Street (past the Police station on your right) and you'll reach Little Red, which is the first sand dune past the information shelter. Turn right at the track at its base, drive for a couple of kilometres and you'll reach Big Red, which is a higher area of the same dune."

I had a look on eBay to see what they go for. Think I will make my own

I used to use an Aussie flag but the rules changed:

Flag requirements:

minimum 300mm wide by 290mm high
made of fluorescent materials, red-orange or lime-yellow in colour.

Ah, I didn’t even know there were rules. Explains why it’s so expensive. I was going to use the Aussie flag too!

That big red must be amazing but just yesterday i watched some famous overlander show and he was driving via that big red and said it should be called mediocre red maybe because its not so big dune as they call it. Haha. But its very nice place sure.
So your subarus are fine on that sand on big red? No problems.

some famous overlander show and he was driving via that big red and said it should be called mediocre red maybe because its not so big dune as they call it.
Sounds like he was trying to make himself out to be a hero. I bet he just took the bypass track to the top, took some photos, & patted himself on the back lol.

When people say they have "done Big Red", they mean they drove up one of the tracks up the face of Big Red, not the bypass track around the side. Anyone who's done it will know it's very challenging!

So your subarus are fine on that sand on big red? No problems.
Yes Subarus go great there, we're light & high revving with an excellent AWD system :biggrin:

Well yes drive up big red where track is. And pass it thrn erive forward where you need to go. Not going just there and drivrr around big red for fun i mean you can find plenty of sand to drive around in other places no? But just as name in video its not look so big or steep.
Yes subarus are amazing on sand even with full street psi of 2.1 it drives easy

Big Red is 40 metres high and is iconic so some people just go there to drive up it for fun; others do a complete crossing of the Simpson Desert.

Im sure its amazing. I love sand dunes. Here you cannot drive on any dunes near see just walk there. Cannot slide from dunes too because you slide sand down . its amazing that you can drive on it in oz.

Well there are more than 1000 dunes in the Simpson Desert, so plenty of sand to go around!

I am not even sure If we will do Big Red. Seems that there is a big show on in town that month, and if it is on when we would be in town, we will avoid Birdsvile and Big Red altogether. They haven't put the date up yet, so until they do we won't know

Do you mean the Big Red Bash? If so, Big Red is closed to vehicle traffic anyway.

Due to the Big Red Bash I’ll be giving Birdsville and the whole of Queensland a big miss.

Aaaaah, too bad.

I have a good plan for you, come to Europe and we will go together to the Sahara desert, pretty big dunes over there !

Well, I will still be travelling across the desert, just not a sandy desert. I have changed the proposed route and instead of returning via Queensland we will return via SA, with as little crossover as possible. When did you say you were coming to Oz? I’m sure you would enjoy seeing what the car can do

Back