Aussie Outback updated in 2014

I must be weird because I quite like it. I don't love it, but I think it's alright. Only thing I can see is the overhang at the front and rear.

The black cladding is overkill IMO, and ruins the look completely - I like the black on SF and SG Foresters, but this looks stupid. Grey rims - Sick maaate! Don't forget the price increase too! (I'm stunned that these days some of the Europeans are better value for money!)

What is going on at Subaru HQ?

Hmm.

Saw one of these in the flesh on my nightly walk tonight. Have to say it actually looks reasonable in person. I'd suggest it was a car from HQ, only because we live about 20 minutes drive from Subaru HQ, it had big yellow number plates with Subaru (not dealer) numberplate surrounds (which in my experience usually means it is HQ)

But yes, it actually looks better in real life than in pictures. I'll stick with the '05 Forester though.

Well I guess I'll be the first to post I drove one!
Long story short; girlfriends dad's best mate is one of the head honcho guys at a dealer in Perth here. He takes home any car he want, anyway was talking to him having a few drinks last sunday and he threw me the keys.
All I can say is WOW.
it looked amazing in every way, the interior has been done. Had the latest (I think 8 speed) CVT auto with the FB25(2.5l donk). Blew my mind, was amazing to drive onroad, heaps of power everywhere and would just eat my EJ25 Foz. So quiet and comfortable.
I'd certainly buy one, but 45k is steep.

And they brought back the hood scoop!! To bad about the atrocious approach angle though :,(

The approach angle is very much the only thing that separates the 2015 OB from a true sensible overland vehicle, once it is mildly modified. Mine is just as good but for the lack of x-mode. Beyond that, one should just get a 2dr Rubicon or--WAY better--hike. In the US, there aren't too many roads and trails that are 1/ totally worth visiting yet 2/too tough for an OB to handle and 3/too tough for a reasonably fit standard person to hike.

The above makes it all the more frustrating that we are stuck with so awful an AA. If the Forester had 30 degrees I would be very tempted. But at just 23, the new FXT is still only passable, at best.

The true solution for Subaru would be to offer an adjustable suspension. As more and more people realize that current Subarus have true off-road capabilities, there should be enough takers to make the R&D worthwhile.

How can a car have true off road ability without low range?

The true solution for Subaru would be to offer an adjustable suspension. As more and more people realize that current Subarus have true off-road capabilities, there should be enough takers to make the R&D worthwhile.

Thing is though the masses don't want or need a true off road vehicle. Why do you think that dual range has disappeared from Subaru's line up. When they did that they killed off the last of the off road Subaru's. The current market demands a big, fugly car that pretends to be an off road vehicle, but returns good economy.

That sound you just heard was Fazed hitting the nail squarely on the head.

And while I'm on my high horse, why all the ****ing cheap black plastic bits. After 2 years they will be grey and looking like poo. I though black plastic went out in the 90's

Well, I have to disagree. The OB has never been as capable as it is now:

-a VDC system that works extremely well=no diagonal spin, etc.;
-plenty of power to the rear (at least on mine);
-good ground clearance from which one can easily get to very good with minor mods (8.7+1).

on the other hand, there are still two fundamental shortcomings but those are found on older ones, too:

-awful approach angle (this can be improved);
-doubtful whether the frame can take a serious hit (this is fine, we can live with it, providing there is sufficient clearance).

By contrast, older OBs were low, had open diffs or just a vLSD, and I am not sure how much power they could transfer back on steep, loose hills.

Yes, Aussie MTs had DR, but X-mode will take care of hill descent and probably of climbing in a CVT as well. Moreover, as far as I know, the low range on MTs is far from Wrangler levels anyway. As for my 5 EAT, it does not need LR to climb. Descents require extra caution, true.

Thus the OB is far more capable now than it has ever been before. Same for the Forester. The (former?) availability of DR MT in Australia distorts the overall picture a little bit, but I do not think it really changes it.

^ Well I have to disagree also.

I can see that my wife's SH series I is a better family car than my SG series II. More space in the rear seat, with far superior entry and exit for the back seat passengers. However, I prefer my SG - smaller; better ergonomics; 5MT/DR; etc.

OTOH, having 17" rims makes it less comfortable (than my SG) ... 225/55 x 17". 215/65 x 16" have the same diameter with more ability of the side wall to absorb shock. Perhaps there is a small improvement in handling with the bigger, lower profile tyres, but who the heck is going to notice this in a) a family station wagon; and b) a small SUV ... Not like it's a Formula One car :shrug: :rotfl:.

IMHO, CVTs and the FB engine were both an error of judgement.

Getting rid of some kind of DR transmission is inexcusable. A 6MT that covers the same ratio range from bottom to top is NOT a substitute for any kind of 5MT/DR, IMNSHO. Anyone who thinks it is, is most likely going to have had little experience driving both systems.

Four words describe most current Subaru models:

Too big; too ugly ... :puke:

Just IMHO of course ...

Well, if dual range was not available for my car I think I'd have looked elsewhere for a car. As it is, I'll challenge anyone in a current Forester or Outback to go somewhere I can't go in my Forrie (excluding sand and salt). I hear Suzuki will be introducing some new models soon. Perhaps I need to look there

Well, the MT point is moot for here because MT never had DR in the US and there is no MT anymore either (2015+).

I wish I had 16" wheels, but the new Limiteds will get 18"...now that's really bad. At least, they would be able to revert to 17" while I am stuck with 17" due to 12.5 inch front brake disks.

On US models it is wheels and tires that drive me crazy.

I appreciate it may be a moot point for you, but for Oz it is a significant one. I have said before, if all you want is a car that looks like it can go offroad, Subaru are a LONG way off the pace. The Forester is a country mile behind say the Mazda CX5. The Mazda has far far better engines, a better interior- lots of things. Previously, you'd still buy the Subaru because it had something the others did not. Now, it is like them in who they are appealing to. But the cars themselves are not that appealing. Subaru are trading on what their cars used to be able to do in enticing people to buy their current cars.

Back