SNORKEL, would you buy one?

Would you buy a Forester-Specific snorkel?

• Total voters

Blue Fox

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester XT - 2" Lift
Transmission
5MT Dual-Range
SNORKEL, would you buy one?

I'm currently gauging interest to see if there is any.......interest in Forester-Specific Snorkels. As of right now, I'm in the middle of developing a prototype 03-08 Forester Snorkel that has a custom fit specific for the fender/A-pillar. It will look VERY much like the ones that a few members are already running, but will be fitted specifically for the Forester's fender and will fit flush.

The snorkel will be created using fiberglass. There's no way to do plastic-injection molding on something like this (without getting like 1000 orders), so a good, high-quality thick fiberglass will be my only method for now. If there is high demand, I can also do carbon-fiber (but that would raise the price significantly).

The finishes will either come in primer to paint yourself, or will come in a lightly-textured satin-black bed-liner spray (same stuff I use on the lowers of my car).

I'll be posting up pictures of the snorkel once I get a working prototype finished, and I'll try to figure out pricing as well, but I'm thinking that a good ballpark for this would be around $250-$300. Less if there is a large group buy.

So tell me, is anyone seriously interested in purchasing a snorkel in the near future?

Also, leave any feedback, concerns or suggestions below to discuss as I'm still in the molding process. Thanks!

Josh.

Last edited:
G'day Josh. I know you have had this idea or been working on it for sometime. I think its greats, would it also fit the SF Forester as they are very similar and I even think have the same A-pillar.... ?
If it would fit I would certianly buy one. Especially at that price too :biggrin:

I know there are quite a few people who have snorkels already, thats one downfall but if you designed them for the Forester then that would save quite alot of hassle with getting one bent to suit.

Only thing im abit concerned about is would/will it make your Forester look funny/wierd without a Subaxtreme Bullbar. I am yet to see a Forester with a snorkel and no bullbar. Have you got a prototype or molding yet? Could you maybe put it up against your Foz and take a photo. I am keen to see what it would look like.

Taza

^^ I don't have anything even close to being ready to be viewed as what it would look like just yet. I'm awaiting delivery on some supplies to finish up the prototype, but it could be a couple of weeks until I even get the supplies (they're coming from another country and quoted me June 1 delivery). :madred: There's also going to be a lot of grinding and shaving involved to make sure it's flush to the fender, and looks like an OEM part. But once I get the supplies, it should only take me a week or so to get a good finalized prototype ready to go.

As for a snorkel for non SG Foresters, I would have to have someone with an SF visit me to allow me to see to see if I can get one made up for an SF. It might just need a different back for the fender, but the windshield might match up right, we'll just have to see once I get a good prototype ready.

I'm excited though. Even if no one wants one, at least I will. I've always wanted a snorkel on my car, but never had a car worthy of one until I got the Forester. And with the way I have it setup, I think it'll look absolutely perfect.

Sweet. I'm excited too. Its like Christmas is coming. I want to see what its like. I want one too :cool: Its more exciting than my birthday this weekend.... :lol:
If my locker project works out successful in anyway along with on of these I would be :rock: and all the guys in Toyota's would be like :surprised: to see a little Subaru or a few flog the :censored: out of them in a offroad situation :biggrin:

Taza

If I didn't already have a snorkel, yes I'd be interested for sure, especially at that price.

Regards
Mr Turbo

^^ Yeah, it's going to be schweet (I hope). The 2-part mold is going to suck hard, but the rest should be fairly fun to do.

Will be great to see the prototype when you get it. Looking forward to seeing it :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

Nah sorry, don't need one. Good luck with it though.

Would love one for the L series... but am looking into eventually making my own that is both aesthetically pleasing and practical.

Best of luck, can't wait to see what you come up with!

Cheers

Bennie

If it will fit the SF I'm in

I'll probably have to make a separate backing mold for the SF Forester's as the fender design is different, but to the best of my knowledge, the SF and SG's share an almost identical windscreen angle, so only minor modifications will be needed for the SF once the initial prototype is done.

I voted "Yes, if under $300."

The truth is, I wont be able to buy another Forester until I move back to the States next year. That probably doesn't qualify as "near future." Unless there are major delays in the prototyping phase and production setup, which I would not wish upon anyone.

Just to show a little of the progress made........

snorkelteaser.jpg

That looks really good! Sorry, you'll have to count me out of the sale, as I've already got a snorkel fitted. Good luck with it. BTW I recommend a snorkel to anyone who likes to take their car on dirt, or through creeks, as the car breathes cleaner air when through a snorkel, due to the dust not being as thick up there, as it is in the engine bay. It also helps with piece of mind.

Regards,

Joel

That looks good, im guessing thats not your snorkel design. Your working on the design from that one in the picture?

Taza

I'm actually working off a snorkel that I bought, and ripping that one apart. Mainly, I'm using it for the actual curved bits (the horizontal and vertical shafts), but the backsides are being custom fabbed, as well as the junctions and other bits. In other words, I'm pretty much building off this snorkels foundation. (it's currently in 4 pieces, and even they're all cut up). As I type, I'm waiting for a few bits to finish curing so I can start molding the main bend, and that I have to do out of clay.

It'll be sick though, in having fun and getting excited.

Hey Josh if you decide to start selling or producing these snorkels will the snorkel head be included in the price and package of buy it. Or just the body.
Also I have abit of a dumb question; how to they actually fix to your car? What screwed or glued?

Taza

Hey Josh if you decide to start selling or producing these snorkels will the snorkel head be included in the price and package of buy it. Or just the body.
Also I have abit of a dumb question; how to they actually fix to your car? What screwed or glued?

Taza

My kit will have the top as well, that I'll be making myself too (a replica of it anyway). I'll probably order the front grille and include it with the package, but it will be a "full" kit, with the exception of finding a way to connect it to the airbox, that will be the installers responsibility as some people want it completely water tight, others just want a tube that goes in. If I figure out a cheap way to do it without raising the price of the whole kit, then I'll include it, but we'll see.

As for mounting, the base is most likely going to be screwed in to the fender as well for added support. Since it is going to sit flush, I was thinking about using 3M Automotive Adhesive Tape, as that stuff doesn't let for for anything, but since you have to drill a 3"+ hole into your fender anyway, what's a couple extra ones, right?

The snorkel I bought to cut up used wing-nuts that were imbedded into the fiberglass as the attachment method, but I would probably end up putting the actual bolt itself on the snorkel back, just got to figure out a way to do that.

Also, I'm also thinking about making it a short-style snorkel, meaning, I might not need to have such a long lower extension on the fender if I can route all of that internally. But we'll see. I managed to get my fender and A-Arm molded yesterday, and can now be installed to the back of the snorkel for the flush fit, then it's a matter of joining the two bits together and making sure everything looks good. I called today off because my back was killing me, but maybe after a bit of rest, I can work on it some more today. I'm also off tomorrow, and hope to get a LOT of progress done on it.

Back