What if you outgrow your Subie?

I agree that at the end all these are peculiar uses for owners with strong opinions and preferences! There are hardly two people on this forum with identical views/uses.

A friend just spent over 5k to overhaul his 98 TJ Wrangler. If it works fine for another 4-5 years, great, if it develops a big issue a year from now...not so great. That is a simple design and he is capable of carrying out on-field repairs.

I guess I can continue to dream of winning the Lotto and buying an Earthcruiser.

For now (after exhaustive research) it seems that that the additional expense, weight and lack of efficiency of any sort of upgrade to my set up probably isn't worth the effort - just to save an hour or two setting up and packing.

Using a simple tent I currently have a compact, lightweight, economical and agile vehicle. A trailer is out of the question as it takes agility and lightweight out of the equation. A rooftop tent would remove my spare wheel, gas and camping gear storage. Forking out tens of thousands on a more capable vehicle increases weight and I'd still need to either tow a trailer, slide-on or go rooftop.

If I had $60k on hand I might consider a 2016 Mitsubishi Triton with a slide-on camper, but even then, would a Triton with a slide-on camper make it up Big Red?

That sounds very reasonable to me. So long as the car is maintained well enough and/or you can carry out basic repairs on trail, it would do the job without the worry of a new loan or a massive outlay of cash...

I had second thoughts for a couple of years, but have decided to stick to plan A and keep my 2013 indefinitely instead of going to a dedicated 4x4. I am upgrading it as I go (in response to experiences) and that shall do it. Now, if it gets totaled in an accident, then I will worry about whether to go back to Subaru or get something that is capable enough stock and not worry about mods etc.

Back