Long range fuel tanks for Forester 04?

mr terriffic

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester XL
Transmission
Man
Forester '04 - Does anyone know if long range fuel tanks can be fitted and if so are they available in Aus?

Tricky ...... :poke: :iconwink:

I carry a 10L Jerry can on the floor behind the driver's seat normally.

When towing my camper trailer, I have a 20L + 2x 10L Jerry cans in it as well. Total fuel =~ 110L. Total drinking water =~ 30L (for one person ... ).

SubaXtreme did make a tank to fit into the spare wheel well.
However this meant that you needed an external wheel carrier for the spare.
It may be worth exploring this, or similar option.
Otherwise not that I am aware of.

long range fuel tanks

thanks guys. is Subaextreme still in business? I tried calling a while ago when looking for a sump guard but got a disconnected number.

I carry a 25l fuel and 20l water on long trips. i'm planning on buying the bumper replacement that has a spare wheel and jerry can holder - it's pricey at nearly $2k, but will be a valuable addition I reckon.

SubaXtreme changed hands some years back and now is run out of Goulburn in NSW.
Whether they would make what you are after I know not but I believe that they do not fabricate all that much.
I have a spare wheel and jerry can holder on my Forester and they are good. I would prefer if the holders were reversed on the carrier as, personally, having the jerry can adjacent to the fuel filler is preferable for easy and convenient syphoning.

Our Jerry Can holder is on the right side of our rear bar ateday which I never really understood because it meant that the spare tyre was kinda in the way of the rear view but now that you have said that it kinda makes sense now.

You could also get one made to suit like another Subaru owner did and still have your spare tyre in it's normal location. This particular tank holds 22L according to the owner.

Unfortunately I can't remember the site or the owners name of the picture, I have even tried to find the post via Google - still no luck.

UCAeuf1.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0311.jpg
    DSCF0311.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 6
SubaXtreme did make a tank to fit into the spare wheel well.
However this meant that you needed an external wheel carrier for the spare.
It may be worth exploring this, or similar option.
Otherwise not that I am aware of.

I can say with some authority that SubaXtreme never made fuel tanks to fit in the spare wheel well or anywhere on the car.
You could however buy their rear bar with 2 jerry holders as an option.

The photo above is the neatest solution I have seen for extending fuel range in a forester, it makes wonderful use of redundant space.
It would be a custom fabrication and require some very detailed work to get shape, baffles, hold down points, filler and breathers functioning properly.
With the end result being no more fuel range than provided by an extra 20L jerry can.

I stand corrected and rephrase SubaXtreme were, at one stage circa 2004, looking at making, or sourcing, a tank to fit into the spare wheel well. Looks like it never got off the ground..or into the wheel well anyway.

Last edited:
The photo above is the neatest solution I have seen for extending fuel range in a forester, it makes wonderful use of redundant space.
It would be a custom fabrication and require some very detailed work to get shape, baffles, hold down points, filler and breathers functioning properly.

This is a note from the owner of the added tank in my above picture, he is from Sth Africa.

Aux tank Filler pipe goes through the body work to join up with the filler pipe to main tank.
I think this is approved by Subaru. It is the standard in South Africa & in the region. I.e. Botswana, Namibia etc.
Tank is stainless steel, made by a company in SA that makes aftermarket kit for 4c4’s etc.

If someone want's to do the research on availability of that tank from South Africa I would be interested in a group purchase for the right price.

If someone want's to do the research on availability of that tank from South Africa I would be interested in a group purchase for the right price.

It has been 3 yrs since I have had any email contact with the owner of that fuel tank.
I fired off an email today asking him if he can remember the cost as I figured somebody would ask. :lol:

We can only hope he still has the same email address.
icon_fingers_crossed.gif

That's great thanks, if nothing else it's a neat design to copy. Interestingly I can't see a breather in the photo which makes me wonder how the air escapes when filling.

That's great thanks, if nothing else it's a neat design to copy. Interestingly I can't see a breather in the photo which makes me wonder how the air escapes when filling.

[FONT=&quot]Aux tank Filler pipe goes through the body work to join up with the filler pipe to main tank.[/FONT]

That is all the information that I have on the tank.

Alternatively, get your hands on a suitable rectangular boat fuel tank, plonk in where the back seat is, bolt it down, plumb it gravity fed into the main tank directly below it via the access plate. Run the filler somewhere inside the cab out of the way, tank breather can be run to the outside via grommet. Cut the foam back seat underside to fit the tank nicely so it all looks factory and will keep the seat in place. That's just a basic setup, it's easy to go further with it. (Pun not intended haha)

Good way to nearly double fuel capacity, use up wasted space, keep weight further central however not legal but that's only if you care! Hard to mod a car without being illegal these days in Australia anyway. If the filler is kept relatively hidden then nobody would be none the wiser, probably better in a crash than something around the wheel well too.

That in floor tank is brilliant! I'd be interested in getting one too if we can get a group buy going.

I'd like one of the poly ones but we're not allowed jerry cans inside the car for our upcoming outback trip (I just realised, I havent posted this up, must do it now)

That in floor tank is brilliant! I'd be interested in getting one too if we can get a group buy going.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the owner, it's been 3 days now since i sent off the email to the owner, hopefully he is only on Christmas break and will get back to me so I can pass along the info.

Back