Driveline noise on decelleration

If its more of a grinding/rumbling than scraping, transfer gear bearings would be one suspect.

Thanks for the tips. I think this is what was causing the noise.

DSCF2346s.jpg

Not saying I had it lined up perfectly, but it looks like the transmission was put together before with the pin not lined up with the hole in the bearing.

yeh - I'd say that wasn't as the designer intended :(

Thats a bad bearing...

I thought it was the back lash or the diff bearings.

I'm sure it was affecting the back lash and gear mesh!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since that bearing just rides on the pinion shaft, which is worn about .010" now, I will probably just use a different used ring and pinion out of one of my other transmissions.

Anybody know how important it is to really use those pins to align the bearings? I was thinking about just grinding them flush. Either that or I have to pull them out and space them up a bit so I can actually tell if they're lined up with the bearings.

Also, I can't seem to find the shifter cross joint on the Subaru dealer site or Rock Auto. I know I've seen them for sale before, I think from the dealer for about $30. The one that goes on the end of the shift rod coming out of the trans with a roll pin. The bushings in this one are going out so I'd like to replace that while it's all apart.

try partsouq.com

Found it on the dealer site, they want $70, so I'm just going to turn up a new bushing(s).

Next question, the pinion shaft with that broken bearing had to be tapped out of the hollow shaft that holds the gearstack. I'm trying to use a different used ring and pinion but I'd like to use the gearstack that was in this dual range trans. Both pinion gears measure the same where the needle bearing next to that broken bearing rides. Both needle bearings seem to fit the same. The hollow shaft from the gearstack out of the dual range trans measures a few thousandths of an inch smaller than the one out of another used trans I have, so that seems to make that needle bearing a very tight (press) fit. Is this normal or should I polish out the hollow shaft until the needle bearing and pinion shaft slide in?

Back