Josh

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Outback 2.5i
Transmission
Auto
Hi everyone,

I've just purchased a 2012 Outback 2.5i petrol auto, 75,000km on the clock. I am looking to gear it up for some minor 4x4 adventures. I'm new to all this, so any feedback is appreciated please.

Type of Travel:
95%+ city and highway driving (on the M1 from Sydney to Gosford/Newcastle).
I'd be going once a month off-road on camping trips - small rocks, bumpy dirt roads, dawn and dusk driving on country roads, occasional sand and mud.

Most recently I went to Ourimbah state forest and stuck to the main track like Morgan did (there are 3 videos here of the track).
https://www.subyclub.com/topic/6802-ourimbah-state-forest-first-time-offroad-in-the-xt/

PROPOSED MODIFICATIONS:

SubaXtreme bull bar ($2,500 installed) or light bar ($20) - Not sure if the bull bar is necessary? Don't want to mess around with a nudge bar as they won't protect me from a roo. All or nothing (bull bar or cheap light bar).
SubaXtreme sump guard (approx. $400) - is it necessary?
Hayman Reece Tow Bar $820 (also will a useful recovery point).

I'm not keen on a lift kit due to the effect on handling and wear on CV joints etc.

GEAR:
- Uniden 8060 UHF radio with GME front mounted antenna ($330)
- 5 Inch 60w LED Driving Lights ($400)
- ARB Tyre repair kit and ARB quick deflator
-5,000kg snatch strap
- X-Treme Exhaust Air Jack (because it cost me $50 and it's worth $300)
- Bushranger Recovery Tracks (Worth $200, got them free. the roll up rubber ones, not the "Maxx Tracks" hard track ones)
- Bushranger Air Compressor (RRP $250)
- NOCO Jump Starter Battery ($170)
- Australian Direct KICK-donkey Deep Cycle 15,000mAh battery for camp lights, 12v kettle, charging phones etc.
- Kings Rooftop Awning to mount to roof racks ($100)
- Second spare tyre with rim (currently I only have the "max 80km/hour" spare) ?

QUESTIONS:
Do I need a lift to drive on sand (it's already around 8.5 inches high - standard for the Outback).
Recommend the sump guard for my driving?
Recommend the bull bar for my driving?
I like the idea of roo protection as well as improved approach angle. Will the improved approach be of benefit considering the departure angle will not change?

Any thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated!
Thanks very much.

Sump guard most important, although Subaxtreme ones are easily damaged. One hit wonders. But their bullbars are ok. Wait and see if you need a lift and weigh it up if the benefits on sand offset the losses on road as far as lifts are concerned. GME I think are a better radio, plus is an Aussie company. 2 spares with standard rims and get rid of he temporary spare altogether.

G'day & Welcome Josh.

I agree with Rally plus an improved approach angle on an Outback, however achieved, is a good thing.

Back