A little video from the dunes.

No they are in a kind of perspex box, they are not mine but the owner didn't mention any pitting and they are designed to do that sort of work so I suppose it's pretty tough, they are GoPro camera's.

It would have to get past the air filter and past the turbo first, if you mean dropping in through the vent then it just drops through the other side and drops onto the box and bash plate, it's the same construction as a radiator, just tube and fins.

Awesome! :monkeydance:

What about sand entering the Intercooler etc?

Yeah, I wondered that too. I know the intercooler is the same as a radiator, but arent you worried bout sand getting in either and clogging the fins?

I wonder if some flywire could be used to screen the sand without affecting airflow?

BTW, how is your cooling playing like that in the sand. Overheating is an issue for many on sand...

Nice video!

I thought I had seen a GoPro on your car in one or two of the pictures you had posted.
thumb.gif

Car stays pretty much on the mark most of the time temp wise but when I'm flogging it through the really soft stuff like when going to Two Rocks while I'm letting the tyres down I also pull the bonnet/hood latch so it's sitting up so a lot more air can get in and out.

There is some mesh on the inlet to the scoop but only good for stopping small rocks, I've honestly never noticed sand on or in the top mount so never given it a second thought, if it can get past the slightly bent top fins it must be going all the way through, though when I dive into damp sand the bottom of the air con condenser and everything else around it will clog till it's hosed off.

It's amazing how the front bumper has hung on for so long with only a bit of paint cracking off the corners considering how far back it must get pushed to bend the number plate and have sand pushed into the condenser, they must be 6" further back lol.

Last edited:
I have to get hold of one of these cameras, I can't help but wonder what I could be missing seeing by not capturing the moment like this.

Back