1WD Foz's

1WD Foz's Foz

Howdy guys and girls,

Im new around here and thought id start a journal to document my hopefully awesome adventure modding my 98 FOZ.

It all started about 7 months ago when i came up with the idea of buying a second car for my wife and I to use for our 1 hour long drive to work, giving our Honda a rest.
Initially i was looking for a cheap Land-rover discovery also thinking we could use this to do some camping and light 4x4ing on our days off, but quickly realised that a Discovery would eat my money in fuel alone so started looking for a cheaper alternative.
Then i noticed a nice looking 98 on gumtree for $2000 no reg no rw, 189k
and seller says clutch may be due.....
I hesitated in calling him for about 3 weeks as i just wasn't sure about Subaru's or Foresters in general, then one day noticed he dropped the price to $1000
So i gave the guy a call and went and looked at it.... $900 was his lowest and the clutch felt fine.
I drove her home (with a permit).

xW7C09C.jpg

Booked her in for a Rw the next week and listed defects found was:
~Replace wiper blades
~Rectify R/H tail light and stop light
~Replace drivers seat belt
~Secure spare wheel
~Secure battery
~Replace and bleed brake fluid
~Replace clutch & brake pedal pads
~Clean and rectify oil leaks
~Replace L/H inner cv boot
~Replace front & rear sway bar link bushes

So i did what i could and got mechanic to do the rest.
Next week i had rego :monkeydance:

I drove it around for a couple weeks and started to notice that if i put my foot flat.... some times it would slip, so i looked up clutches on ebay and took a gamble with a relatively new melbourne based brand "Blusteele' as they had crazy low prices, $250 new ,shipped, with 12 month warranty.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Blusteele-Clutch-Kit-for-Subaru-Forester-S10-2-0Ltr-SOHC-EJ20J-98-02-w-WARRANTY/182301956674?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I had it sitting there for when the Foz needed it and it wasn't long until i got the car bogged (in my front bloody yard mind you) :rotfl:
and the clutch was ruined after minimal attempts of getting out with road tires.

wfSdahJ.jpg

look at the damage to my Neighbours front lawn :redface:
luckily it only cost a slab to recover.

e6khng7.png

The truck that pulled me out :rotfl:

So i threw my car at the same mechanics that did my rw and they installed my clutch!!
Also had my flywheel machined and they found a leak in my rear main seal so replaced that while they where there....awesome!!

My wife and i started exploring how far down the dirt track this little foz could take us in places like Lerderderg State Park & LaL LaL & Bungal state forest. whilst we stuck to the chicken track mostly... I realised fast this was a capable little beast.
Next thing to go was me rear left shock...... i knew it was coming tho, and taking it offload didn't help a bit :shrug:
So I ordered rear KYB's and standard Kings springs from Archm-suspension in Bayswater as they had the best prices and the boys down there are really nice.
you can find them on ebay

https://stores.ebay.com.au/archmindustries/

So i had them Installed and straight away what a difference it made, the rears must have been so saggy before cause it looked lifted when i picked her up lol

S4h7vUI.jpg

hbqu1Wd.jpg

New rear kings springs and kyb shocks

tUPMjVp.jpg

Old ride height :rotfl:

PowSHnW.jpg

New ride height

Then it was time for some new tires as i had a few issues with the old ones
I went with 4 x Yokohama Geolander G015 AT in 205/70/R15's

UkrIewG.jpg

The last issue i had was the speedo died, subaru wanted $350
wreckers cost $10 and i got 2 :rotfl:

And im trying to figure out what this loud noise is coming from my rear passenger wheel area, it comes and goes ,sounds like a loud grinding noise majority of the time around 90-100ks.

1WD

Last edited:
This not mine this in forester trunk but i made myself from actual sub box. Its on my first page
mXjPu7Hh.jpg

w0mA8Ckh.jpg

Before that i looked what others did and how cool boxes they made from fiberglass but if you have allready at least similar size box, you can cut it and seal it make it faster and cheaper.

And i use that huge 4 channel amp but just for my sub. Was using it for front speakers too but then decided just for sub. And now amp is not working so my uncle trying to fix it. So now i listen music without sub.
See to use amp for front speakers too it uses then lots battery if car not working. Without amp i can listen music for hrs and battery still ok to start car. So thats big difference.
My front stereo is some jvc stereo with bluetooth, aux , usb and cd mp3.

Very interesting option indeed recycling an old sub box !!!
I think I like the fiber glass option more cause it looks a bit neater, and can be made into nearly any size.
That’s no good about your amp Tho [emoji50]
Checked the obvious ?
Checked all switches are in correct position?
Little fuse on the amp and big fuse on power wire near battery not blown?
Undo all your wires attached to the amp and snip off anything in need...and reattach ?
Check your ground is still good ?
I hear ya about battery usage with 1 amp....let alone 2 [emoji28]
I’m lookin into a dual battery upgrade with an isolator so the start battery will always have enough to start the car and the aux battery will power things like my amps, LED lighting and a few 12v plugs so I can plug in a laptop/kettle or fridge, but for now I’ve installed a voltmeter so I can keep an eye on things and so far have been able to have all my stereo and my rear boot lights on for about 1-1.5 hours before I need to run the car to recharge again, not bad but a dual battery would be so much better.

like this : https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/products/battery-charger/adventure-kings-dual-battery-system.html

Last edited:
My amp itself stopped working .something inside it.so for now just using my speakers from stereo.
I have second battery in trunk all times. Thinking making it into dual system too.but it has no space under hood so iguess it will stay in trunk then . those cables from link looks great. I would need that . but then whe. I need all trunk space i would need to move that battery inside car. As i did in my trip when i slept in car i moved battery to front seat.
Have voltage indicator as well. 220v converter too. Its not too powerfull 350w but enough for laptop or some other things.

How big is your battery ?
Would it fit inside the spare wheel ?
Or if you install a snorkel then I imagine you would have extra space under hood replacing the parts of intake you don’t need anymore ?
Otherwise maybe a custom battery enclosure opposite your subwoofer?
Making sure you can still sleep in your car but not have to relocate your battery.
I will see how big a battery I can fit under the hood and if it’s small and I need more power I’ll run a 3rd battery inside the spare wheel.

So far I’m running 800w sound system, around 550w of led bars + the inside boot leds
all on stock battery

Also looking into replacing my 70amp alternator with one from another Subaru
I’ve heard they range from 70amps-110amps
But a hassle free swap for me would be a gen 3 outback alternator hitting out 95a.

In spare wheel space i have LPG tank and in the empty space under oem snorkel i have LPG injector system there. So i duno i dont have spare space there for full size extra battery i guess. You lucky you have more extra space mine allready taken. My battery in trunk is full size battery about 75 amp i think.

I think maybe you could look into making a portable 12v battery box to put opposite your sub
Very neat idea
That way you can plug it into car or solar to charge it and you can easily remove from car and still use at camp site or to jump start or to power a fridge, all separately from the car.... or connected....lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVqupc1w5ZY

Like this ^^^

1WD

Yes that power box is very cool indeed. Some good battery needed and dc/dc charger but thats very cool and compact. I allways love all simple diy ideas that makes sense.

A great idea , and can be made so many different ways to suit so many different needs.

Ona side not in the last few days my standard pencil exhaust has started making some weird noises , a loud rattling noise coming from the rear
so I had a look around and found some 2nd hand uel headers and a second hand 2 1/2” custom exhaust which is apparently tucked for clearance [emoji1377]

1WD

Great found there.

So i picked up the Exhaust and UEL headers off a guy from gumtree for $200

nY5ONBcl.jpg

Installed it last week

out with the old pea shooter
LBaGJFVl.jpg

And in with the not so old flame thrower lol
QBADGpnl.jpg

It sits a lot higher than the standard exhaust so a little extra clearance for me :monkeydance:

661sN9Vl.jpg

couple links below of vids so you can hear the exhaust note

its quite loud now :ebiggrin:
but i don't mind :lol:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpp-zTXDbL4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpp-zTXDbL4[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x76VGX7gYUQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x76VGX7gYUQ[/ame]

Speaking of clearance......
I Will hopefully be able to get my new lift kit this week :discomonkey:

I have 4 different sized lift kits to choose from Subieliftoz's lift kits and would love all your opinions as to which lift kit you think i should go for.

1# 2" front & 2" rear with 2" rear trailing arms
2# 2" front & 2.5" rear with 2" rear trailing arms
3# 2.5" front & 2.5" rear with 2" rear trailing arms
4# 2.5" front & 3" rear with 3" rear trailing arms

Im thinking #4 would be amazing clearance but would have issues with CV boots wearing which i don't want.

What you guys think?

1WD

Well you and I have nearly the same car
So a little bit higher in the rear you think ?

Hey Kevin

Thanks for your advice

Ive Pm'd NachaLuva

Hopfully he's available this wednesday :discomonkey:

Fingers crossed :monkeydance:

1WD

4# 2.5" front & 3" rear with 3" rear trailing arms

Im thinking [URL=https://offroadsubarus.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=4]#4 [/URL] would be amazing clearance but would have issues with CV boots wearing which i don't want.

What you guys think?

1WD

#4 has done me well so far. But.. I do need to replace a CV boot (and associated strut!). I'm pretty sure the boot is original (have had a couple done over the years, so not entirely sure.
I don't believe that the boot has failed any quicker due to the lift, but that is just a guess - I've only done about 4k since putting in the lift though.

Be aware - anything above #1 isn't legal without it being approved and a modification plate attaached, and thus voids all insurance afaik (IANAL)

If anyone can point me in the direction of getting mine legal, that would be great!

Hey Ben
how long have you had your lift kit?
and is it a subieliftoz kit ?
and in the whole time you've had the lift you haven't had to replace any boots so far ?

cheers mate

1WD

Hey Ben
how long have you had your lift kit?
Only about 4,000kms (put in late last year). well over half of that is on the bitumen (probably about 3/4)

and is it a subieliftoz kit ?

Damn straight it is :ebiggrin:

and in the whole time you've had the lift you haven't had to replace any boots so far ?

This is the first one since the lift. The inner front left was done when we put the lift in (pretty sure it was front left anyway) I do tend to take things pretty easy when off road - slow and steady is my motto, in the theory that less will break. I've taken it over some pretty awesome terrain though. Haven't dented my bash plate yet, but have given it a couple of knocks to give you some idea of the stuff I'm going over.

ive heard of people fitting bigger cv boots to prolong the wearing
maybe something you could look into for your next cv boot change?
awesome that you can review the subieliftoz kit for me tho
not that it needs one

Ive taken my standard foz through some white knuckle tracks, so i can't imagine where you've gone with a 3" lift lol

1WD

cool sound but its not your sound just some foresters. but its sounds amazing. similar as mine just slightly diff tone and not so loud inside
and 2'' lift is perfectly enough. still i would think its more about what size and what rims you will put with it. so it would have cool look.
so its not legal where you live ? but if you pass MOT test means its legal for roads no ? because if MOT says car is good for roads meaning it is good, kinda .
about 2'' and 2.5'' lifts i think cars could go through same places both just to choose right path for yourself, maybe little diff angle and such and you good. choosing stronger CV's as from wrx its more expencive and later to change them again will cost more. so if its worth the price for higher lift and later looking for more rare and expensive parts.
im more then happy with my 2'' lift and how those CV holds up. i just changed them couple times now and to used OEM ones. so that's pretty cheap too for me. if i would need to look for some wrx CV's that would be pain to find them and cost lot more

hey scalman
im not sure what you mean by "its not my sound" lol
i bought it so it is my sound hahahahaha :lol:

I wouldn't look to upgrade my cv's, only my Cv boots as thats what most people need to replace after a lift from what ive read.

a lot of people have the lift kit illegally here so that doesn't bother me

I think most people get the 2" x 2.5" because then they can carry more weight without sagging the rear end while off road which i will need considering all the crap i take with me lol :rotfl:

1WD

Back