Administrator
Car Year
MY06, MY10
Car Model
Forester SG & SH
Transmission
5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Gidday Folks

In my search for something to edit the MP4 videos from my Blackberry/Nokia phones, I found some real dogs! What a surprise :twisted:.

Then I finally found this program, Avidemux:

https://avidemux.sourceforge.net/download.html

Available for Windows (32/64 bit), Apple, Unix, Linux.
SourceForge.net are a reliable site, IME.

It seems to do the basic editing, and also reads the recorded soundtrack from the MP4 files.

It also doesn't automatically overwrite the recorded sound track from the original file with ghastly (copyrighted) music!

It allows the edited file to be re-saved on one's computer with no obscure "work arounds" required.

It outputs files that can be uploaded to YouTube.

It is not the essence of ease of use ... :(.
However, it appears to be quite flexible, in spite of its minor shortcomings.

I made a video of a bit of my drive in the hills last Thursday in the 44C heat. Just a test. Then managed to edit it, without completely mangling it!

Best of all, it's FREE!! :iconwink: :biggrin: :cool:

Hope this is of benefit to some who may not have been able to find such a program.

Last edited:
Gidday Mr T

It is not as slick as some, but it does seem to do all the essentials, including saving files to one's HDD ... :lol:.

This latter seems essential to me, but is missing from some programs!! :puke:

I am thinking of getting a GoPro with remote. Will have to see what one costs.

Driving on a dirt road while taking a video with one's mobile phone in one hand seems slightly dangerous to me!

I don't know much about the GoPro's but I understand that there are a few different models to choose from :cool:
And yes, a GoPro would be a much safer way to get footage of our adventures :ebiggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

^ Yeah. The remote control for the Hero3+ adds a handy 30% to the price! It appears only to come with the "black version" of the Hero3+ ...

The only store that seems to be selling the Hero3+ with the remote is here:
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/gopro-hero3-plus-black-edition/
at a mere $439 plus P&H.

BTW, a word of caution to anyone contemplating buying one of these:

The "silver/white version" of the Hero3+ does not appear to come with the remote.

It seems to me that the remote is more than just essential if one is going to mount this on a roof bar, or even inside the car.

It seems to me that the remote is more than just essential if one is going to mount this on a roof bar, or even inside the car.

If you mount it on the windscreen, you dont need a remote. Just reach up & hit the button to record just before you take off, it will beep & the red light flashes to let you know its recording, then when you finish hit the same button & it beeps 3x to let you know its stopped. Easy :biggrin:

A remote is great if you have it on the roof or bonnet, under the car or any other imaginative spot, but on the drivers door you can just reach out the window. I have a remote & havent used it yet lol :rolleyessarcastic: But I will...

The only store that seems to be selling the Hero3+ with the remote is here:
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/gopro-hero3-plus-black-edition/
at a mere $439 plus P&H.

BTW, a word of caution to anyone contemplating buying one of these:

The "silver/white version" of the Hero3+ does not appear to come with the remote.

Thats a good price for the black edition.

If you can afford it, the Hero3 silver or black edition is definitely the way to go. The silver has 1080p @ 60fps, so does the black but also 1440p @48fps. The Hero3 are smaller, lighter than the Hero2, better battery life, no need for an underwater housing like the Hero2 (the standard housing causes distortion) & they have inbuilt wifi. As RB mentioned, only the black ed comes with it, but you can buy them separately if needed.

HERO3+ Silver Edition
HERO3+ Black Edition

GoPro Hero3 for the Ratbag

Gidday NL & All

Well, holding the two (generous) JB HiFi vouchers my bro-in-law kindly gave me for Xmas 2012 & 2013, I headed down the street this morning and bought one of the last GoPro Hero3 cameras in captivity. This model is superseded by the Hero3+ and the upcoming Hero4.

But for the reduced price (stock sell off) and the vouchers reducing my out of pockets to under $240, I probably wouldn't have bothered buying such an expensive toy

I would rather have got a camping fridge and an Ark Pak, but the gift vouchers were for JB HiFi, not Ray's Outdoors ... :lol:.

Personally, I don't even need the facilities that the Hero3 offers, but I wanted to get the remote.

It seems that the best way to get a view back for this camera is to buy a Samsung Tablet - just IMHO ... :iconwink:.

So far it has taken me about 4 hours to work out:

• How to unpack the bloody thing ... :(
  • Charge both the camera and the remote.
  • How to set the date, etc.
  • How to get the camera and the remote unit to talk to each other.
  • Update the firmware in the camera (don't even think about using IE or Opera - GoPro's web site doesn't like either of them - I eventually succeeded using Firefox).
  • Install GoPro's editing software on my main PC after downloading it from their web site.

I mean, how difficult can these things be?
I'm not exactly ignorant about any of this stuff, but unpacking it was like doing a Rubik's Cube ...

It appears that the GoPro editor is somewhat less capable than the Avidemux in most ways. But at least it is also free.

At least they give you a printed manual with it. That's got REAL rarity value, these days!

Maybe I will copy this post and start a new thread for people to discuss using GoPro cameras.

Back